Finding My Groove Again--I hope!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Greetings, everyone! Its been a bit over a year since I last logged on here...its been possibly the most intense year...my mother was battling ovarian/lung cancer and passed about a month ago. I was her primary caregiver as she fought valiantly for the last three years, and its taken its toll, as those of you who have walked that road know. I was on FMLA twice this past school year, which was horrible as I still had to take care of classroom responsibilities, and didn't have much support from my brothers. Finally beginning to feel like getting off the couch...but am ovewhelmed with thank you notes, home projects that we started when we thought Mom was going to move in with us, and a whole new class to teach next fall--Honors Anatomy & Physiology--first time in 25 years!! Also during the last year, my DD had another major fainting episode at school, and hit her head hard on the floor as she collapsed, (lots of follow up testing for that episode), was diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis, and had surgery on her knee. She's had to come to grips with the fact that her HS athletic career is over, moving on from a toxic relationship, not having her mom around as much as she needed, and losing her grandmother, all while prepping for college entrance exams during the last year. As I type this I am amazed that my marriage has withstood the stresses and that I haven't fallen off the edge of the cliff. I'm trying so hard to get my groove back...and I know its a one step forward, two steps back kinda thing...so I hope that jumping back in here will help me restructure my time and get some things done so that I can be a MUCH better wife, mom, and teacher next school year. We start two weeks earlier than we have in the past...but I just need to get things together!!! ARRRGGGGGHHHH! A light begins to faintly glimmer in the darkness...thanks for listening...

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
Berta,

I am new to the boards, but I lurked for a while and I know that this is a good place to come and get your groove back. Everyone here has been through things and know how to listen when you need to vent or to just talk. You have been through so much and I hope that everything works out for you.

Welcome back to the group

Mary

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi Berta ~ I feel for you. I have been walking a similar road for the last two years. With my mom it was colon cancer. Same thing -- the caregiving is a huge, emotional job; losing the battle at the end is heartbreaking, and it all takes a toll on not just the family you grew up in but on the one you now have. On my side too it was my daughter that struggled. Her situations were different of course but I do know what you mean. I found that coming back to these boards helped me put my life back in order and think straight. Something about the routine of checking in here to prepare for the holidays, discuss decluttering or ... whatever... just helps to calm me.

Hugs from afar for your loss.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Welcome back Berta. You have had so much on your plate. My sympathies on the loss of your mom. I'm glad you found your way back here where we will encourage you, listen to you and be there if you need a boost. Post again soon!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Berta, what struggles you've been facing! I'm sorry for the loss of your mom. I pray that we can offer you some encouragement to face life at this point.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Welcome back Bertha. My sympathies for the loss of your mother and I hope your dd is feeling ok. It has been a very hard year for you all around! ((hugs))

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Berta: I am mostly a lurker here but just wanted you to know that there is Light at the end of a long tunnel. I have gone through similar situation and at times you wonder if things will get better. It does. Hang in there and will keep you in my prayers. I understand how drained you must feel. This is a wonderful group of understanding women so come back for your daily group hug. jy(Shaton)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Prayers to you and your family. Stop in here when you are able.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
My sympathies on the loss of your mother. You've taken the first step in getting things back together just by posting. Things will fall into place for you.

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks to all of you!! I appreciate the support...and hope that I can be as helpful to others are you all have been to me over the years!! Inch by inch...

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Welcome back, Berta!

MHH is a wonderful, supportive group!!!

We go way beyond supporting each other through holiday prep- we support each other through all the tribulations of this beautiful, often painful, crazy journey of life!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Berta my sincere sympathies on the loss of your mom & all you've been through. May God comfort & richly bless you

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Berta, first of all, I am so happy that you joined us! :welcome2:

Please allow me to add my thoughts and prayers to the others. Give yourself time to grieve. Everyone does it a different way and there is no wrong way to grieve. You have been thru a boatload of heartaches. We will help you anyway we can. MHH has been my saving grace on many an occasion, let me tell you. This group is kind, generous to a fault, loving, and funny. I honestly don't know what I would do without this place. It is my refuge. And it will be yours, too. God bless.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Welcome Berta.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Oh, Berta. I am so sorry! What a horrible, horrible year for your family! The routine of coming here... really is comforting, as you put it!!!!! Reading about the routines of people we care about...... it helps us all!!!! Sending you lots of strength and love!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm so sorry for your loss, Berta. As you said, many of us have walked that road. My daughter and I look back now and remember my Mum in all the happy memories she made for our family. I know you will find understanding, encouragement and comfort here on the Forums.

Hugs,