Football Weekend

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
It's not a party or anything, but we will be spending much of the weekend watching college and pro football. Since its the first Sunday of the NFL season i want to make some fun football foods and snacks this weekend. Any great ideas for me? Thanks in advance. :pink:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Keep it simple and plentiful ;-) Finger foods are great, and I like to sneak some healthy choices in there - I've even been known to get them to eat veggies!

Food for my football fans include: crockpot chili, nacho chips with a layered bean dip, hummus with small toasted pita wedges, veggies and dip. To drink there is 'punch' in pitchers (2/3 juice, 1/3 clear soda with fruit wedges) Everything can be prepared ahead of time - and eaten as the day goes on!

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
When I have football parties we make footbal shaped chocolate rice crispy treats ( the kids love them). I use football trays, football napkins... do food and decorations in your teams colors! If you can find football shaped noodles (love these in chili), football shaped buns for sandwiches. Above all have fun! Go all out in gear--decorations--food the whole nine yards! (Spoken from a Packer Backer even through bad years like this one will be)

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Woo Hoo party time :party:

I can't wait - Saturday is the the 1st Notre Dame game of the season and Sunday is the Cowboys. This is going to be a great season. We always have chili, mini burgers, velveeta and sausage dip, guacamole and chips and misc food.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Santa_Elf my husband is a huge Notre Dame fan so he is so excited for their first game Saturday. It looks like he may have to work and will miss the Michigan game (his other favorite team) but will be home for the Notre Dame game. :)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Growing up, the Arkansas Razorback-Texas Longhorn game was THE game of the year, when both were in the (now defunct)Southwest Conference. My family always got together to watch it, partly because it was the only Razorback game other than a bowl game that was televised. I can remember we always had beef stew and chili, along with all the trimmings..crackers and cheese, cornbread, chips and dips and desserts. Remember, this was the days before crock pots, so it had to be something that could simmer all day and stil be good to eat at halftime!

Now we're thinking about having a watch party for the upcoming Razorback/Longhorn game and if we can have it, we'll have basically the same menu! It's not the rivalry it used to be, but it's still fun! Here's what I'm planning:

*Touchdown Tamale Dip and tortilla chips
*Leftover Longhorn Beef Stew
*Whoo Pig Soiee Chili
*Celebration Sundae bar (make your own sundaes)
*Bobby Patrinos (actually, these will be Arnold Palmers, half iced tea, half lemonade, but renamed in honor of Arkansas' new head coach!)

Lots of red and white decorations, banners and pompoms!!

We are not sure we're going to be able to do this due to some unexpected events in our life, but we're hoping!!

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
iluv2scrap - how does our husband deal with the Notre Dame - Michigan game (which is the 13th, hope gets to watch)? I know that it is hard during the Notre Dame - Navy game because my son is a former Marine and a Notre Dame fan.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
When Notre Dame plays Michigan he is usually rooting for Michigan (we are from Michigan) but said if he ever got the chance to go to a notre Dame home game against Michigan, he just doesn't know what he would do, lol.

We are a house divided too, i'm not anti Michigan, but i am a huge Michigan State fan, my daughter is a junior there, so i'm always a State fan first and foremost. :bigsnow: i love football ;)