Football...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Alright so I'm a BIG PACKER fan!! (Even when they are losing I stay true) So I'm hoping the Pack wins this weekend and goes on. Either way I'll be throwing a football party for Superbowl. I have Football bowls (BIG and medium sized), a stadium tray that looks like the field, the napkins, decorations... Food gets kind of crazy. We have to make pigs in a blanket because kids and adults like them. Football cookies go over really well. Lots of cheese, sausage and beer of course! Chips and dips of all kinds too. Sometimes I do chili but now I'm kind of wondering we get kind of rowdy cheering things on... What do you all do for football parties?? Not just superbowl.

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
I do a lot of what you said. We like some hot dips one that is coming to mind is a Pampered Chef recipe called "Touchdown Taco Dip" I'm sure you've heard of it. I don't like to plan too much "meally" stuff that isn't grab and go as that is really what everyone likes. For drinks I do sometimes pull out the blender and make yummy drinks for us ladies that don't like beer but like football.

The worry about red and getting a bit wild, well, I just try to eat during commercials to avoid that. :) as I am one of the wild ones. LOL!

I will wish you well in your game on Saturday as I now live in WI (moved last year from IL) but know I am rooting for Seattle. :) Sorry, but I learned about football as a youngster while I lived in Seattle so they will always have a special place in my heart.

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
Chili is always a good wintery football food! Also, a couple times during our CFL season I made a pork sandwhich which I found on RazzleDazzle. They have a whole tailgate section. Here is the link: Roast Pork Sandwhich I saw that there is a Superbowl Section as well: Super Bowl Recipes

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Individual pizza pockets shaped like footballs go over well here! My family isn't to big into football, but they do love chips with clam dip, lots of pop (soda), plates of nachos. We've all been sick this week and I think it's time for a party this weekend, so maybe we'll play up the football theme a little!

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
My sons are die-hard Steelers fans, so we usually go all out, eventhough they are out now....We also have all of the football shaped trays and Football crockpot.
Dollar tree has several different colors of football trays right now.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I'm actually not big on football itself, but love the ambiance of the human spirit. I love to celebrate! Company isn't even a requirement. :-D

I keep it really simple. If I'm feeling extra festive (like when actually going to the game), I wear my favorite jersey and paint or temporary tattoo my face and nails to match. We munch on junk food -- some mini pizza pockets (those football ones sound adorable!) or mini crescent dogs (we call them crescent puppies. chop up a hot dog and wrap with dough, cheese optional), chips and salsa/dip, soda. Again, junk. hehe

That's it. Just lounging, relaxing, and sometimes reflecting on fond memories of celebrations past.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Last year I made a sub sandwich and cut it into one hand size pieces. The guys really enjoyed them and it wasn't messy. We always have some venison bologna, pepper stick and cheese out for the games. My Beefy Taco Dip scores well too. The recipe is here:
http://www.mrsdryzal.com/appetizers Then we have the usual chips, dip, beer bread with spinach dip, kielbassi, kraut, hot dogs.

Lisa

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
I'm not a big pro football fan, but here in the south we LOVE college football in the fall. Tailgating here is an art! LOL! We do all sorts of things - wraps, sandwiches, fried chicken, ham biscuits, boiled shrimp, dips, cookies - you name it!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I just attend the football parties. :rotflol: A friend of mine's husband is a big RedSkins (or as we jokingly say to him Deadskins) fan. He always have the superbowl parties. They usually serve chips and salasa dip, party wings, coldcuts, hotdogs for the kids, chilli, beer, soda, salads, things like that. I gave him a football shape crockpot for Christmas one year and he uses it faithfully during football season.

An idea that I think is nice that he does is he cooks the hotdogs in a small crockpot for the kids. That way they're kept heated. One year his wife made roll-ups using tortillas with turkey lunchmeat and cheese. The folks went through them in no time.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I''ll LEAVE!
I'm one of the few that hates footballs.
It's a 15 minute game (yes it is, time how long the ball is moving sometime), that large boys can manage to make into a 2+ hour game, all who get paid more than our teachers do. They talk about it for 2 hours before the game, they whine about the touchdown can't be official because someone twitched (notice it's always the losers that whine and ask for a new rule) and then they talk about the game for years afterwards.

Thank goodness our local Scrapbooking store has a SuperBowl Scrapbooking Crop! They provide the food and I just scrap! My favorite way to spend Super Bowl!

When I die, generations will remember me and my family because of my scrapbooks. Very people will talk about a family member for generations because they watched football. Ok, I'm gone before I get hit with a football! lol

I will fix something for SuperBowl for the people who will be watching at my house. Probably hot dogs, nachos and popcorn--some type of stadium food.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Football whats that????? Me and my son will be upstairs watching tapes and tapes of old Syracuse collage basketball games (which we tape every game every season, its our night to watch our old favorite players and relive the games that we go to each year) while my other son and DH are down stairs watching football on tv. We always make chicken wings and homemade french fries. I have never been a football fan now give me the Big East and final 4 in collage basketball and I am in heaven.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Football! Oh yeah! Then...Baseball!!! OOH,OOOH yeah!!

Sorry-got a little distracted.

When I was a kid and the Southwest Conference (college ball) was going strong, we always had a pot of chili and a pot of beef stew, along with the trimmings...cornbread, crackers, Fritos, cheese dip and tortilla chips...when the Razorbacks played the Texas Longhorns. Keep in mind, waaaayyyy back then there was only one or maybe two of our team's games on tv each year, so it was a big, big deal. I still remember eating chili and stew on game day!

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I make a buffalo chicken dip sometimes for the games (the guys love it!), but usually always have chili in the slow cooker. Are season ended a few weeks back, but I am thinking good things for next year!

Go Eagles!!!!!!

Kelly :bigsnow:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
A big hit when our family gets together for football parties are cocktail shrimp with a spicy dip. We just put a big bowl and some plates out on the table and dig in! One year my dad did crab legs as well. They didn't quite take the sting out of the Eagles defeat in the conference championship but they sure did help! :-D

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I'm so jealous... ;-)

there will be a telecast in Austria for the Superbowl, but again it is during night
for us... (they will start with a warm up at approx. 11:00pm and ends up around
4 am on monday morning)

So I think there will be no Superbowl Party for me... :-(

Chilli

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
For superbowl, I just realized that my family will be in Rochester, NY for DS8 eye exam under anesthesia. (He has an artificial cornea that needs to be checked out) So WHEN my Packers go to the Superbowl, we'll be in our gear in a hotel room. And I LOVE throwing a good Packer party so I'm disappointed, but I'll still be cheering. :grin:

mom24hr7dz

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
We have either chilli or pulled pork sandwiches, meatballs in cream of mushroom soup cooked in the slow cooker, mini cocktail weiners in bbq sauce, taco dip and of course something chocolate. We will be watching the game this sunday. Since I live in Green Bay the city will be one big party and the temps will be 6 degrees with a wind chill well below zero. So go pack go all the way to the superbowl.