Freezer Favorites

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
What do you keep in your freezer? Normally my freezer holds:
Lassagna (I make 3 when I make lassagna)
Soup
Casseroles
Frozen Meatballs
Etc.

Now I've added frozen homemade cinnamon rolls
I make the cinnamon rolls and then flash freeze them on a tray. Then I put them in freezer bags. The night before I need them, they go on the pans and sit on the counter (covered) through the night to rise. Next morning, bake as normal!
Trying now to figure out how to do cookies from freezer and muffins. Any thoughts?? What does your freezer hold?

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
creativemom, they sound wonderful! would you be willing to share the whole recipe? thanks, kathie

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I try to add to my freezer stash whenever possible. I try to have 5-10 meals (either partially or completely done). I normally make double lasagna, chili, soups, pot pies, enchiladas, and meatloaf. In the summer, my menu changes quite a bit and I mostly make up a bunch of different marinades and freeze chicken, pork chops and steaks in the marinade to thaw and grill.

When I am browning a pound or 2 of ground beef/turkey or making taco meat for dinner, I always make at least 5 pounds and freeze the extra to use later. I also freeze all leftover chicken in 1-2 cup portions to use in casseroles, soups, etc.

creativemom, your cinnamon rolls sound very interesting to me, too! I've used frozen dinner rolls mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, etc. in a bundt pan and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to thaw/rise and then bake in the morning. How do yours work?

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
For my muffins, I bake the muffins as usual and let them cool before putting them in the freezer. I haven't figured out a way to freeze the batter and bake later.

For drop cookies, like chocolate chip or oatmeal, I make up the dough, round into balls (or if I'm feeling particularly lazy - I roll the entire bowl of dough into a log) and flash freeze. Then, I can put the balls of dough into a freezer bag. I can pull out as many cookie balls as needed. If I was lazy and rolled the entire bowl of dough into a log, I slice and bake.

I've found browning meat in large quantities to be very helpful - I use the meat for spaghetti sauces, pizzas, tacos and burritos.

ETA: I think I'm going to have to try freezing my cinnamon roll dough - GREAT IDEA!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've never gotten into the whole freezer cooking thing, but i've always wanted to. I made baked penne (our grocery store doesn't sell ziti for some reason) the other night and we only ate a small portion (forgot to half the recipe), so I threw the rest into a plastic container and into the freezer. I'll pull it out for another meal sometime in the next few weeks or so.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I always keep italian sausages. I boil them first, then slice them and brown them in a little butter. I put them in small containers.... a nice addition to pasta, pizza, tostitos-salsa-cheese-olives, etc...

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
I don't currently have a freezer except the one with my fridge. I miss a freezer! I do freeze my hamburger when I cook hamburger for another meal. I also freeze soup bases, and freeze stock in ice trays then transfer to freezer bags. I hardly have enough room in this freezer for 3 weeks of frozen foods, so I can't do freezer cooking like I used to. I hope to be able to pick up a freezer soon. I'm cleaning out a huge storage room by DFIL had, and there will be plenty of room for one in there!!!!!

Rackandrollgal said:
I don't currently have a freezer except the one with my fridge. I miss a freezer! I do freeze my hamburger when I cook hamburger for another meal. I also freeze soup bases, and freeze stock in ice trays then transfer to freezer bags. I hardly have enough room in this freezer for 3 weeks of frozen foods, so I can't do freezer cooking like I used to. I hope to be able to pick up a freezer soon. I'm cleaning out a huge storage room by DFIL had, and there will be plenty of room for one in there!!!!!

Me too I have a small fridge freezer and can't fit much in there...ughhh

I do like to keep cooked ground beef and such in there. Once in a while I do bake and freeze muffins. I take them out one at a time when I need them. It doesn't take long for them to defrost so it works well for me. I am hoping my dad buys us (my boys and I have been living with my dad since I moved to FL) a full size freezer and soon. It would make life sooo much easier. He gave his old one to my uncle-I can kill him for that...lol!!! I actually looked at some chest freezers while in best buy tonight but money is too tight to make any big purchases right now!!!

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Rackandrollgal and Christmas Creations- Why don't you guys look on Craigslist for a used one in your area? I love the site. I read about everything I don't need that is cheap! I even bought my reading chair from there 25$ I love it!

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
Could you all post the recipes for all your foods, they sound amazing.