Frugal Christmas #2

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Shop resale shops....I know for some people...they just can't do this but I tell you it is an ART....finding brand new stuff with the tags still on is quite possible or almost new items.

I also like to pick up little boxes, baskets, and other items that can be used to create great gifts.

I look for retro things for people I know that like those items.

I look for depression glass or pottery for people who enjoy that.

I look for cookbooks in excellent shape for the chefs in my gift group.

The main thing is to really know the people you buy for and look for items that REALLY FIT them....I have found when I do this...it is appreciated even if from a resale shop.

In addition: Resale shops are GREAT places for craft items.....just picked up some little wooden heads for 25 cents...brand new in the package and I shall be using them to create a witch or two at Halloween and a few elves...

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Ginger,

I love shopping at resale shops.

You are right - you really have to know who you are shopping for.

The thrill of the hunt is so much fun and when you find the right gift - SCORE!!!

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Resale shops, thrift stores...love 'em all! Yard sales and flea markets, too!! I have a good friend who prefers 2nd hand stuff as she's very Earth conscious. It's fun finding stuff for her. I collect vintage stuff, anything that tickles my fancy, and have made some really great finds! Like y'all said, the thrill of the hunt is great!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
The great thing about MHH is that we learn to prepare early and by preparing early we can take advantage of resale stores, thrift stores and yard sales and flea markets. If you are not organized, it's not likely you'll ever find that perfect gift from a resale store three days before Christmas when you are in a panic over finishing.

On another note I often look for Christmas decorations, especially in the middle of the summer when no one else is thinking about Christmas!

Ginger - your idea about looking for baskets and other unique containers is excellent! Far better than running out and buying it full price at the last minute!