Fun gift for little cooks

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
HI,

I'm new to this board, but thought I'd jump right in :party: .

Just wanted to pass along a fun, cheap gift idea that could be used for next Christmas (or any gift giving occassion). I gave three little girls (ranging in age from 3 1/2-5) Christmas baking kits. I included: a package of sugar cookie dough, two Christmas cookie cutters, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a wooden spoon and an apron. They can use all the items to help cook real food or just pretend. The girls LOVED them :lovestruck: . The best part? They cost less than $5 each! I bought the wooden spoons in a three pack at Dollar Tree and the cookie cutters came in a six pack from Dollar Tree. I do not sew, but my mom does. She graciously made the aprons for me from her stash of fabric. She already had a pattern. You could always include a cookie sheet or small oven mitt, but I chose to stay away from the "oven part" since the kids shouldn't be doing that part anyway :grin:

HTH someone,

Bren :flower:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
REALLY CUTE gift idea....thanks for sharing it!!! :lovestruck: LOVE IT!!!

sorry I just had to use one of the new smilies I added....lol

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
That´s a nice idea.

Perhaps this could be an additional: I copied 24 delicious cookie-recipes for my sister-in-law this year. I gave it to her at her Birthday (23 of Nov) called it Advent-Calendar-Recipes.
I´ve made a book at the copy shop with an index on top.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I did something like this for my niece for her birthday last April. I made an apron for her and her dad. (SIL can not cook, even though she has gotten better since her and brother have been married), a bunch of different mixes, kitchen utensils, and such. Both brother and her loved it. Her birthday is at the beginning of racing season so she marked a day on the calender right in the middle of racing season and told her dad that was thier day. He couldn't work on his race car or even think about it. My brother called me in July and said that it was thier day and he was so glad that I gave her this gift so they could have a day together. SIL took lots of pictures of the two of them in their matching aprons cooking and baking away. I think that this may be a gift to repeat this year. Along with a few extras.

:happynewyear:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
That's a great idea! Current has a kid's apron on clearance. I think I'll pick up 2, one for dd and one for our niece for next year.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa :heartsNY:

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
I am glad you like the idea. I love your suggestions to add cookbooks or special recipes :jumpinghearts: . I saw child size aprons on clearance at Kohl's today. Kim, I hope you got pictures of your brother & his DD cooking away. How very precious!

Bren :flower:

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
You´re welcome - I'm glad you like it. I´ve made a spiral bindig to get a book. In front I´ve done a clear sheet of overhead transparency and on the back I´ve taken strenghth cardboard in burgundy. You can laminate each recipe if you like. I'll start to do the same for my own with our favorite family recipes.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Bren- my SIL got lots of pictures of the two of them. She just liked the way they looked in the aprons. She is used to seeing them cook together all of the time. Even though my niece is 7 my brother is determined that she is going to be able to cook unlike her mother. It is a big joke in our family if SIL makes it who is going to try it first. She goes right along with us but in the past 9 years she has gotten better.

Basket could you tell me what kind of recipes you put in your book that might be interesting todo.

Also any ideas how to give a frozen ham bone to my brother for his birthday. I made sure I bought and made a ham with a bone for split pea soup. It is only me, my mom and my brother that like it and its his turn to make it. This is the brother that I gag gift with all the time so I would like to give him the bone as a hint to make it.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
KimD said:
...Basket could you tell me what kind of recipes you put in your book that might be interesting todo....

Also any ideas how to give a frozen ham bone to my brother for his birthday. I made sure I bought and made a ham with a bone for split pea soup. It is only me, my mom and my brother that like it and its his turn to make it. This is the brother that I gag gift with all the time so I would like to give him the bone as a hint to make it.

I`ve done all sort of cookie recipes, but they are in German. It was something like Peanut cookies, coconut balls with orange, oatmeal cookies with chocolate - sth. like that. I´ve bought a cookie container and some of the ingredients from this recipes and gave it all together wrapped with glass paper.