Funny Thanksgiving disasters?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I don't know about a 'disaster' but the first year I was to cook Thanksgiving dinner, I was confused about what size of turkey to buy. When the grocer approached me, we discussed my concern about it fitting in "the" pan. He asked me how "big" ? I took my infant son and said "... about this big, he fits in it". . .

... he stopped, and bust a gut laughing at me!

To my defense, he loved sitting in that pan :friendly:

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Not mine but I'll share my Mom's with you (she'll kill me later for this):
:D Leaving the plastic bag of gizzards, neck, etc. inside the turkey
:D The dog grabbing the bird off the counter and running to the neighbors yard to eat it
:D Using the spoon to make the stuffing that she just scooped the cat food out of the can with
:D The one we still laugh and tease her over is the cake that fell flat and she tossed outside like an Olympic shot-
putter

:santalol:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Two years ago we were having Thanksgiving at our house. After the turkey was cooked DH put a pan in the oven containing the neck and the gizzards. My FIL loves them!! (How gross is that?!) After they were cooked, the oven was turned off, but nobody remembered to take the pan out of the oven. After eating turkey and leftovers for 5 days, I finally decided to cook something. When I opened the oven door I screamed. I thought there was an animal in my oven, but it was a pan of moldy turkey parts. I don't plan on letting DH ever forget that!!!

:turkey: Melanie

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Oh Melanie! That would freak me out for sure! Not to mention gross me out! :)

I'm just thankful every year when my turkey doesn't 'gasp' open like the turkey on Christmas Vacation!

:haha:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One year I thought I'd be smart and cook the pies after the turkey was finished. I'm trying to clean up after eating, rushing, I take the pumpkin pie out of the oven and it flips upside down right on the floor. So we had "smashed pumpkin pie" that year.

Years ago, when microwaves were new, they had just come out with rolls for the microwave. My step-mom's parents were here from Japan so we had them over for their first Thanksgiving dinner. During the last few minutes of rushing to get dinner on the table, gravy made and all those last minute things, I some how nuked those rolls several times. They were hard as hockey pucks. My step-mom's dad loved them, ate three of them without having any teeth.

Key word is rushing. I'm so glad this site helps me get my act together!
:friendly:

I just remembered when I was a liitle girl my grandmother (passed away when I was 10) had left mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes in the oven that Exploded all over it!!!! My mom likes to tell the story but she hasn't told it the past few years!!!!!!!!!

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Yikes! Exploding potatoes sounds like a terrible mess to clean.

But, I'm sure it has made for many laughs through the years.

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Love the story of the baby sitting in the roasting pan! :santalol:

My first house was old and had lots of problems. For several years in a row, it never failed that I would have some sort of plumbing disaster on a major holiday. One Thanksgiving, something went wrong with my kitchen sink (I can't quite remember what exactly the problem with it was now). We had to do everything that required a sink using a very small pedestal bathroom sink. Not so easy to clean a roasting pan in a tiny bathroom sink! I'm happy to report that in recent years, all holidays have been plumbing disaster free!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
The first year we were married, I wanted to make DH a pumpkin pie. So I played it safe and bought the crust and a can of pumpkin pie filling. I didn't read the instructions, just figured it was like a can of apple or cherry pie filling and just dumped it into the crust and stuck it in the oven. It was absolutely awful-no eggs, milk, sugar or spices. Yuck. DS14 still refers to it as "the pie that even Dad wouldn't eat". LOL!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Cathymac don't feel bad. I did something similar a few years ago. For the past 12 years I have made the pies for the holidays. One year a few years ago I was making pies and was having a bad night. My dd who just a toddler then wanted no one but me and would cry with anyone else that night. So I am trying to keep her happy and make 2 apple crumb pies and 2 pumpkin pies. I though I did real well until the next day after dinner when everyone started digging into the pumpkin pie. In the mist of the making the pumpkin pie I left something out: SUGAR! Thank goodness the apple pies came out fine so dessert was not a total loss. I still get picked on about that every so often.

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
When I was a kid my mom had fixed the "perfect" Thanksgiving dinner (as usual!). Everyone was sitting at the table & mom had the big platter with all the turkey on it & she turned around and set it in the middle of the table. As soon as she did the whole table caved in & everything fell to the floor! We were all yelling & trying to grab anything we could to save our meal! My mom started crying & all of us kids were laughing so hard. Which, I'm sure, didn't help my mom's mood too much! LOL! We salvaged what we could & for the first and last time EVER, we got to eat our Thanksgiving meal in the livingroom! That's one of my most favorite Thanksgiving memories.

OK so I clarified the story with my mom and it was the sweet potatoes that exploded all over the oven. Our sweet potatoes are topped with marshmallow so exploded marshmallows and sweet potatoes added up to an angry grandma and a very sticky and messy oven....lol

cleanupgirl

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
I know this is late posting but still kinda funny looking back.

This Thanksgiving, my MIL who lives out of town was staying with my SIL who lives about an hour away from me. They were all coming here for the holiday meal along with my DP's who live 2 seconds from me. Well...true to form MIL made SIL and her family over an hour late! I was so angry when they called to tell me they were late just when I was expecting them to be walking in the door.

So I wouldn't jump all over them and get PO'd at them when they did arrive, I decided to have a huge glass of wine to calm down - forgetting that I hadn't eaten all day saving my tummy for the holiday meal. Well...I was drunk as a skunk when they got there :pink: . I served dinner and cleaned up though. Right before we were about to serve dessert, I twisted my ankle due to my innebriation :thud: . It caused me to be off my foot for the rest of the night and 2 days afterwards.

I guess thats a kinda funny story now...looking back.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Don't know how I missed this thread. My dad had a huge family on holidays there were always at least 50 people at my grandparents. Since my dad lived with my grandparents me and my brother always loved to help out before people started arriving. One year I was helping my grandpa make coleslaw. We were using a food processor to cut up the cabbage. Well we were using a rubber spatula. He stuck the spatula in the food processor somehow. His comment was we won't eat out of that bowl. I haven't looked at coleslaw since that day without thinking of that. Guess that's why I won't eat it either.

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
About 8 years ago I tried making my DMIL's recipe for chocolate pie--a true family favorite, and a hard act to follow, as she's truly the only one who can make it right! Since we weren't able to get to DILs', I tried making it for DH. All was well until I got to the egg stage. I added the eggs to the cooking pudding and it was a bit too hot. Yep--chocolate scrambled eggs!!!! :slap:

We also had a plumbing disaster one T-giving morning--a leak from under the dishwasher flooded the kitchen and started buckling the floor. Luckily DParents were visiting and DDad was able to stop the leak and save the overtime/holiday fee of a plumber.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
cleanupgirl, How funny is that. I love it and it will make a great family story. If you host the dinner next year, let MIL and SIL know that dinner is being served at (what ever time you choose) and serve it at that time. If they arrive late too bad, there will be plenty of leftovers. But don't wait dinner for them.

Being late is a way of controlling people in a passive aggressive way. Don't tolerate it twice. A person can be late because of a flat tire which is a totally different reason.

Of course I do like the wine idea better. lol

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Well, I don't have a disaster but it is funny. :haha:
I have only made one turkey ever, anyway, I made the turkey and everyone else brought the sides. I wanted to make sure the turkey actually got done so I cooked it for hours, probably about 8 or so! Turkey was really good, only problem is when you tried to get it out of the pan it totally fell apart! And I mean totally, just fell off the bones :haha: It was tender alright, didn't need to carve it at all! More like scoop it out of the pan. Oh! well, at least we could eat it. :grin: :bunny:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
This year while we were enjoying a wonderful meal at my brother-in-law's country club, we experienced some rough weather and they lost the power for the remainder of the afternoon. Fortunately, we had just about finished eating but it was very funny sitting there in the candlelight with the servers using cell phones as flashlights to bring drinks from the bar.

Going to the bathroom by the light of just a few candles was a bit of a challenge -especially for my two daughters and our 89-year-old uncle. :lol:

The funniest part was that the manager had to come to my BIL and tell him that they weren't able to ring up our meal. We had to leave without paying and the manager said he would email BIL over the weekend.

It was an adventure!