Funny Thanksgiving disasters?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
One year, my daughter-in-law was cooking her first Thanksgiving turkey. She forgot to turn on the oven - and didn't notice that for over an hour.

The New York Times had just run an article about cooking Thanksgiving turkeys at very high heat - 500 degrees. So - we tried it. The turkey cooked fast - and was juicy and delicious. (We didn't tell aanyone until the next day - and everyone thought the turkey was great.)

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
We've done Thanksgiving dinner for DH's side of the family off and on for years now. We always grilled turkey breasts, which is a tradition my DFIL started years and years ago. We always bragged to my family how good the turkey was. This was the 1st year I had my side of the family for dinner and, of course, we grilled. Well, something went haywire with our grill and DH couldn't keep the temperature down. Before he realized it, it was way overcooked and, therefore DRY! I got a lot of ribbing from my brothers about the GREAT turkey we made.

3LittleElves

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Wisconsin
Have you ever warmed rolls in a paper bag in the oven? I had never heard of this, but my aunt and grandma told my mom to do this on Thanksgiving a few years back. All was going well until my dad walked into the house from the garage and said, "What's burning?" My mom opened the oven and the bag was on fire! My dad grabbed the bag and ran outside with it. The whole family was laughing--except for dad. He was crabby the rest of the day.

I loved reading everyone's stories! Thanks for sharing.