Geocaching kit as a gift?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Christmas keeper

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I've been doing some research about Geocaching (using a GPS unit and coordinates to find a hidden cache) for a gift for my husband. In addition to the GPS unit what else could I put in the kit?

Thanks

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I love geocaching! I started doing it about 5 years ago and have done it a lot, in many different places---around home, on day trips, on vacation in many states, in big cities and very remote areas!

With my experience --- for a beginner I would recommend things like the following:

-GPS- of course
-extra battteries for the GPS ( you always want to carry some!)
-a couple pens- ballpoint ( or one of those write-anywhere type pens)
-a couple of pencils--- I would cut these in half and resharpen so they aren't so long (sometimes if the log in a cache is -damp a pen won't write on the paper)
-some bug spray- one large for the car, one small ( or those wipes) for the backpack)
-a small first aid kit- with band aids mostly
-a couple bandanas- these have come in handy man times!
-a disposable camara- never know what wonders you will see - and fun to take pics of different caches , or travel bug travels
-lip balm
- I always had a few sandwich sized ziplocs bags in my bag- to replace a bag that is torn in a cache etc.. and they have come in handy for other random things and don't take up much space
- some plastic grocery bags(many people keep them in a film canister) - geocachers have a thing called "cache in, trash out"- meaning pick up trash on your way out of a park - do your little share of beautiying the area etc..
- a small notebook for recording notes ( about the cache, if it was damaged, cool things you saw, what you took and what you left etc...)

## you could purchase a set of travel bug tags for him to start a bug from the http://www.geocaching.com website- they aren't that expensive
## you could put a coupon in there to purchase some "signature" wooden tokens when he decides what his geoaching name will be ( you can get custom ones( they will send you samples too I think) here http://www.wooden-nickel.net/ )
## or a coupon to have a "signature" rubber stamp ( self inking kind) made when he decides his geocaching name ( I would sign my name then had a little mini image stamp I found that matches my geocaching name that I always stamp next to my log in the cache
##There is a few books out there on geocaching-- Geocaching for Dummies is one of them. I have not personally read any of them so I can't give you a recommendation
## a bag of some sort (I have a "geocaching" backpack in my car , then inside that bag I have a smaller bag - the size of a paper back novel that f most of my stuff fits in . Most caches I take my small bag ( some people use a fanny pack )- I only take my backpack on long hike type caches when I need water and the big bug spray and a "snack" etc... )
## some good but lightweight hiking shoes/boots??? depends on what kind of caching he might be doing

All that being said - I know several people who cache , taking nothing with them but the GPS!

I will probably think of something else later but...

Hope that helps! Great idea, hope he likes it! Beware though- it can be addicting!

pixiestick

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think this is a great idea! I've been wanting to try this too.

Christmas keeper

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
Thanks for the web sites and thanks pixiestick for your suggestions. I'm so excited! We already have most of the hiking/camping supplies that were listed. I'll focus on the things specific to geocaching. Thanks for the extra info about stamps and coins. He's going to be so surprised.