Gift Closet 2008 - What have you got tucked away?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
I wish I could knit! I'd love to make scarves - especially patterned ones or ones that had favorite colors. The only crafy thing I'm good at is cross-stitching, and it is so time consuming. Congrats, Winged One, on your progress!

natashasdream

Retire Member
Jan 12, 2008
Woohoo! I just hit the jack pot. I was going through our junk mail and found a gift card for Chilis Restaurant ($50) and a check for $100. They were addressed to my husband but when I asked him about it he didn't know what they were. It turns out that he closed a credit card and they sent him a $100 check and the giftcard (reward points).

I'll use the cash to buy DD a Nintendo DS and I'll give our gardener the gift card (I was planning to give him cash but since money is tight right now, it was going to be hard to part with it). Now I don't have to worry about it...2 names crossed off my list. :party:

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
YAY! YIPPEE! HIP-HIP-HOORAY!

I am so happy. The kids all wanted a WII to share as their big gift from Santa, and it has been hard to find around here - as soon as the stores get one, they sell out. Well, my friend just called and is at the beloved/dreaded Wal-Mart, found one, and called to see if I still needed one - So she bought it and is going to hide it at my house until I can get there without kids!!!!

Side note - I'm pretty sure the girls know there is no Santa, but they play along for my DS9. they are good girls.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
I seem to be getting a couple things for Christmas every week lately. I picked up the kids' big gift (Wii) this week (actually a friend got it for me). I've ordered a few books, plus I got a large decorative sign for my mom's porch. It is slowly coming together. :skate:

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
My husband went to a sportsman show and bought son and sil their major gift. That is such a load off my mind. Of course hubby saw something he wanted too but I couldn't get it without him knowing. Maybe I will find it somewhere later. But just those two gifts is a nice dent.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have got more Y's (yes, I have it all) than N's (nothing done yet), or notes on bits to get yet, on my master list. So I am happy for this stage in the game.

Late last week, I managed to get a doll for DD (it's her birthday present, for the day after Christmas), and I also have almost everything for my sister's "hamper of essentials for the professional woman's handbag" - all sorts of handbag sized treats and emergency repair bits (hairspray, pack of tights, nail varnish, emery boards, travel sewing kit).

DH has decided what we are getting for his parents - and it is something that HE has to organise rather than me going to buy (they need new gates for the house, so DH is arranging for them).

And I also finished 2 of my crafting gifts last week as well, and managed to pick up most of the supplies for the last few craft ones I had in mind (now I only need to find some tiny fruit pieces :help: ).

So I am a happy bunny today!! :package: :package:

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
I just got Walk the Line for my bonus daughter and Ironman for my DS. I got Ironman for 80 cents using a sale at CVS combined with ExtraCare Bucks that I had left over. :)

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
wvalice said:
I just got Walk the Line for my bonus daughter and Ironman for my DS. I got Ironman for 80 cents using a sale at CVS combined with ExtraCare Bucks that I had left over. :)

wvalice~ you go, girl!! What a bargain!!

:bigsnow:

stcycly66

Retire Member
Sep 30, 2008
I have several quilted overnight duffel bags, an Amy Butler sunhat that I made from fabric in my stash, a couple of handmade aprons, a quilted ladies wallet/checkbook, a couple of "flower" pincushions, 2 "present" lights (glass blocks with Christmas lights inside of them and then wrapped in a bow), a quilt, a couple of cloth grocery (tote) bags and some books. All of these, except for the books, are things that I have made/sewn, so the cost has been minimal, but the love/time factor has been huge...

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
stcycly66 - I'd love to be on your Christmas list! :grin: Homemade is always the best!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I've managed to finish scarf #6, and the Book Man came by yesterday and dropped off the orders in the office, so I have a crossword book for my Granmother and a book of great speeches for my Grandad (he's still big into politics even at 89) put away in my cupboard.

There's a big homes and gardens fair on in a couple of weeks, and I get to see the personalised decorations I want for about 5 couples in person. I don't want to order them before I see them, but they do look great on the website (I will order them the day after the fair).

So that will leave me with very few left to sort out.
Any ideas for a 24 year old male who has everything and a 25 year old male who also has everything?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Sounding like several are doing so GOOD! For the 24 yr old and 25 yr old that is hard. What about some type of food (dip mixes, or salsas and chips) with a gift certificate for gas, resturant or for movie rentals or to Best Buys or whatever their hobbies are.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My only addition to the gift closet lately was one bottle - a BIG bottle, granted - of Suave body lotion.

I really like their new scent line - the "Exhilerating" scent which is a Lime Verbena is really nice.

In any case, the big bottle was on sale at Meijer for $2.29 and I had a coupon taking it down to $1.29.

Not a bad price! :grin:

stcycly66

Retire Member
Sep 30, 2008
Winged One - do the guys have briefcases/laptop cases? What about a solar battery charger (with batteries included)? Swiss Army Knife? A Hammock? Pocket watch? Blue Ray player?DVDs? A web-cam (camera)? Depends on your budget... A good pair of leather work gloves, a new wallet, a telescope?

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
A lot of the things in my closet are 'when I need them' type gifts. I have candles in crystal holders; angels from different materials (DIL & sis collect those); place mats; decorative do-dads like Santa in a swing, snowmen on teeter-totter, smaller ones of Santa or snowman ...all purchased after Christmas 07 of course!
Coca-cola items (sis & BIL). Spreader sets (sm. knives) for cheese balls, flavored butters or jams; kitchen towels & pot holders in holiday designs. Minature lights to use in crafts; some craft supplies; decorative soap dispensers, S&P sets (Mama collects), a couple of lighthouse items (another DIL collects), etc etc etc.

When going thru & reviewing my stash, updating the list this past weekend, I put together a wedding gift! The couple is getting md early Nov. and Christmas is just around the corner! I'm giving them 4 place mats, kitchen towels, pot holders, and a set of the spreader knives. All have poinsetta theme & go together - even thought bought separately - except for the knives. Those have Santa & Snowman handles. ta-da! Something different, something useful, and already on hand!! *My* kind of gift. :grin:

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
So far...
* book Mr.Sneezy (Roger Hargreaves) for DS's stocking
* DVD: Fun & Fancy Free (Disney with Mickey & the Beanstalk) for DS's stocking
* Three book set (softcover) with "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" for DD for Christmas

I've got quite a few things figured out but not purchased or purchased to make gifts. Planning to get a start on that this month.

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I thought I had more than I really do :-( I only have a couple of gifts and a couple of random...just in case anyone pops up gifts!

I went to Cracker Barrel after Christmas last year and stocked up on the little random gifts, because you know someone will pop up with a gift. I also bought a whole bunch of ornaments for our own tree!!

I really need to fill that closet!