gifts in memory of a loss one

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Coffeenut- how sweet of your nefhew to carry on like that. My dad's best friend picks up my kids on Christmas eve morning and they go to the cemetry where there are their gifts from thier grandpa. When my dad was in the hospital dying he came out of a coma three weeks before Christmas and was worried that his grandkids wouldn't have their gifts from their grandpa. His best friend told him not to worry as long as she was around his grandkids would always have thier gifts from thier grandpa. It is just a wonderful thing that she does for them, in memory of their grandpa.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Debi, I am sorry for your loss. I am sure having the grandkids around is nice. The holidays are hard. In 2005 May, June and August I lost my grandpa, 6 wks later my dad (Sat. night before Fathers Day) and 8 wks. later my grandma. I was very close to them. The first yr. my mom got us 3 girls all the poem about heaven with an ornament, and a picture frame with dads picture and a saying about memories of a father. This year my younger sister made the glass ornament with a feather in it. I used the glass ornaments and put dried flowers (from their funerals) in it with little pictures of the person and also tied pictures on the cord for hanging and gave to people the first yr. of their deaths.
Kim that is so nice of the lady to do that.

I'm so sorry for the loss of loved ones and so encouraged to hear of the kindness and consideration of so many others.
It was good to see the Christmas with Jesus poem. I only read it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I'm a Lieutenant in the Girls' Brigade (the Girls' Brigade and the Boys' Brigade are Christian organisations very similar to Scouts and Girl Guides) and we had some very sad news about one of our girls. She'd had a dreadful childhood and was in foster care (had been most of her life). She certainly had alot of healing to go through and many issues- but a more bubbly, giving person you couldn't find. She was with us through most of her teenage years. She'd often call me 'Mum' and often refer to my children as her little brother and sister. Her deepest wish was to be able to live with her real mother in Scotland- and once she turned 18 a few months ago she was legally free of foster care and did just that- very excited about the new life before her. Just before Christmas, we received the news that she had gone into anaphylactic shock, suffered brain damage and sadly never recovered. She died two weeks before Christmas day. At our final Girls' Brigade meeting of the term, one of our leaders brought along the poem and it helped alot of us.
As she was in Scotland and we're down in the South of England, it wasn't possible for us to attend her funeral, so we're holding a memorial service for her on the 19th of this month. We'll be reading out this poem (even though Christmas is over now).
Sorry to waffle on- it feels good to share.