Giving an activity for a gift?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Candid opinions please bun1 .

My nephew will be turning 12 this month & I need a Birthday gift! I thought it might be fun to give him a handwritten gift certificate for a day out with my family (his three cousins, Dh & myself). I was thinking bowling or mini golf....we would provide snacks and lunch/dinner. We might even have him spend the night. We see each other for holidays and birthday parties, but not a lot for play dates. All the kids get along great (my two boys think he is so COOL). Is this a good idea or not? When it comes to material gifts he either has it or I can't afford it. I usually spend $20-$30 on a present for him. I bought him snacks and a dvd for Christmas & he loved it, but alas I can not come up with a title for another dvd he might want.

Any other thoughts on a gift? He is quiet, good kid. He is not overly social or athletic, but loves basketball and Nascar. To my knowledge he doesn't have an I-pod (so no gift cards for music). I hate to just give him a gift card to a store....or do you think he would rather have that? He is always very appreciative & kind, but I would love to get him the "right" thing. I could e-mail his mom, but I think she would agree with either idea. I need an impartial, blunt opinion. lol. :slap:

TIA

Bren bunnylove

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I think that sounds like a great idea. My son will be 12 next month and fits the desciption you gave of your nephew - quiet, not into sports a whole lot. DS would really like bowling or mini golf. Another idea is laser tag if that's a possibility for you. The tweens & teens around here love it.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
If he likes Nascar he might like go-carts-I'm not sure of the age limit on that though? I think a day out is fantastic! He'll love that and if I were his mom I would love the idea of a gift that doesn't just add more 'stuff' to the house! If you want you can take a group photo on that day and have it framed for his room.

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Are there any car/drag races or demolition derbys near you? I know it's kinda early in the year, but depending on where you live....they might be starting. I think a fun day, leading up to that as the finale would be outta-this-world for ANYone, let alone a 12yr old!!!

Vrrrooomm!
Pippi

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Our local bowling alley does birthday parties and you can reserve lanes. For DS13 we reserved 2 lanes for candlepin bowling and had a lunch buffet for our family and his friends. We played 2 games of bowling which took about 2 hours, and the alley lets you either pay by the person or by the hour.
After we bowled, for an added treat for the kids while we adults 'visited', I had a couple of rolls of quarters for the kids to play video games and play skeeball in the arcade there at the alley.

For DD we have also bought passes for admission to a state park/lake close to our home. The park has barbeque grills and picnic tables, playground, and restrooms all available. The kids go swimming, the menfolk play horseshoes, and the womenfolk put the food together and gossiped. DD brought 3 close friends so they stayed close and we were able to stay the whole afternoon and it was not too expensive. We have also done family reunions there and everyone has a wonderful time.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I say go for it- If he really likes it then it could become a Tradition where you plan a different outing each year- just think if 12 is hard wait until 14!

Other ideas- baseball game (we have local minor team that tickets are not too expensive), canoe trip.

I wish my nephews lived closer I would love to plan gifts like this.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
What a great idea. As a Mum I would always prefer a gift for my children which involves your 'presence' rather than your presents. A photo in a frame is a lovely momento of the day too! Toys will be long forgotten a special day out will remain with them for ever!

My DSIL took my Daughters tubing at the local snowdome for one of their birthdays and we took them to 'cariba creek' (a themed water park), they talk about the days out all the time, whereas I bet they can't even remember what gifts they received!

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
What wonderful ideas; here are a few more suggestions:

*zoo pass, small binoculars, & field guide
*aquarium pass, fish guide book, a bag of goldfish crackers
*pass to a Science Museum & a small guide book to the museum

Have fun!

Gidget-

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I think a day out is a good ideal. Then an overnight stay with your family would wrap it up. Could do his favorite breakfast then. My nephews (2 of them) always liked going anywhere out with our 2 kids and us when all were younger. They all 4 would sleep on the floors, watch movies and eat.

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I think it is a wonderful idea. We took my nephew minature golfing once and he talked about it for a long time after. My sister and I have birthdays that are only two weeks apart and we quit giving each other gifts and instead spend a day together doing something fun. We love it. Memories are the best gift you can give someone.

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Thank you all for the encouragement to give this type of gift. It makes me feel better knowing that others think it is a good idea as well :flower: . I loved all of your suggestions and ideas. I brainstormed some more with DH & checked out prices for some of the ideas...it can get spendy if we take our whole family plus add my nephew (6 people). We finally decided to give him a bike related gadget (Dh will take care of that!) with a note attached for a biking excursion on a local bike trail and a picnic lunch. The trail is very picturesque and not too difficult...I'll be walking (pulling a wagon w/ my youngest, perhaps?). DH, DD & my nephew can bike ride and my DS7 can ride his scooter....he hasn't quite mastered the bike without training wheels yet. Nephew's party is the 20th, but the weather looks great for the 19th....we just might give him his present before the party. I plan to take lots of pics & make a mini album of the day for him.

Thanks again!

Bren bunnylove

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I think this idea is wonderful and I wish more people would do this! Our kids just have so much 'Stuff'! IMO our time is the most valuable thing to give! I hope it becomes a tradition for you!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It would be nice if you could also find a small bike ornament for his Christmas gift this year. That way he will always have something to remember this outing and gift.