Grocery list for Christmas 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
grass filler for gift baskets.
Good thought, Amelia! I generally have enough containers but green grass should work well for Christmas!

Reactions: Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Is there any candy/chocolate that can be bought now that is suitable for Halloween?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Spent some time over the weekend sorting through what I need to buy and adding it to my shopping list on the fridge. I think there are still 19 fortnightly shops between now and Christmas but I have at least one or two items on each of the pages.
Need to add items for our annual motor racing party. Not sure about arrangements for our annual family dinner as yet.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Should state picking up chocolate as it was a bad year for the growers and prices are due to go up

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Should state picking up chocolate as it was a bad year for the growers and prices are due to go up
I will look into that. I wonder if the bad year will affect Australian prices as well.

Reactions: halimer and Minta

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Apparently vanilla prices are going up too. :(
If you have any Hispanic grocery stores in your area, check there. I've found their vanilla to be of good quality and far cheaper than that found in my own grocery stores. My parents used to winter in Mission, TX and would frequently cross into Mexico and bring it back; I made that trek with them several times when visiting. More recently, we have another "connection" -- DSis#3 has a nurse-friend who has family in Hidalgo, TX (parents migrated from TX in the late 1950s or early 1960s, she is first-generation American, but still has family across the border) and whenever she goes home to visit, she'll bring vanilla back for my DSis (who includes me in her "order"). Last time, her friend brought back several quart bottles of vanilla, since she wasn't sure when she'd get back home and she knew Christmas baking time was coming up. That'll last me the rest of my life!!!! I also had a friend from high school who traveled to Reynosa, Mexico several times a year to visit one of their manufacturing plants located there. He'd regularly text me to see if I needed any vanilla, tequila, or other spices brought back. I can't tell you the last time I bought vanilla in my own grocery store.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Apparently vanilla prices are going up too. :(
I think a little pre planning is needed here. I will need vanilla for Christmas so will add it to my list for next shop. I have learned over the last few years that it is better to have it then wait and miss out or have to pay a huge amount.
Thanks for the headsup.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I think there is still a Hispanic store in Ellet. I’ll check the next time I go out that way. I still have a 16oz bottle of King Arthur vanilla unopened. So I’m still in decent shape right now. My cousin gave me vanilla from somewhere, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t from Mexico, that I didn’t care for. But I’m always willing to experiment. You never know until you try something.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been making my own vanilla extract for a while now. I have a batch "brewing" now but I think I will pick up more vanilla beans the next time amazon has a good deal on them to get a 2nd batch going.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been making my own vanilla extract for a while now.
I have seen posts about people making their own vanilla but have never looked into it. Maybe something to investigate.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have been making my own vanilla extract for a while now. I have a batch "brewing" now but I think I will pick up more vanilla beans the next time amazon has a good deal on them to get a 2nd batch going.
Same here - should make more as I use quite a bit of it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have seen posts about people making their own vanilla but have never looked into it. Maybe something to investigate.
It's very easy... all you need is a jar, a paring knife, vanilla beans (I used madagascar grade a or b) and a bottle of cheap vodka and about 3 to 6 months for it to brew.

Reactions: halimer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It's very easy... all you need is a jar, a paring knife, vanilla beans (I used madagascar grade a or b) and a bottle of cheap vodka and about 3 to 6 months for it to brew.
Thanks for sharing that information. If it takes up to 6 months I better move fairly quickly so I can start by June.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
1712971260841.png

Amazon Australia has 10 beans for $15.75. Is this a price that would seem reasonable for these? I have never bought beans before so not sure of the cost.
The cheapest Vodka I can find is $10.00 for 50mls

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will look into that. I wonder if the bad year will affect Australian prices as well.
News from the supermarket today is that indeed the price of chocolate and chocolate goods will rise significantly. I have added cocoa powder to my list to buy next week.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've been trying to stock up on chocolate too.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I've been trying to stock up on chocolate too.
I have just looked thorough my to buy list and have added what I might need to the shopping list for this week. I will freeze what I buy.