Harvest Tea?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
For years, I've wanted to host a Christmas Tea for the women of my family. But December is always jam-packed with other festivities that it's been difficult to try to schedule it.

So I'm thinking of trying to host a Harvest Tea instead. I'd like to make this an annual event, and I'm thinking I can do a Harvest Tea anytime from, say, October to November, whenever it suits my and my guests schedules.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true harvest menu (the guest list is about 20 or so)? What about decorating ideas? We're not really into playing games at these kind of events, but I was thinking of maybe doing an ornament exchange. Or maybe a simple fall craft (the women in my family range from age 95 to infants, so maybe that's not a great idea)?

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I totally think you could get away with a "holiday tea" in November!

The town I live in has a "candle night night" the first Friday in November, and Santa is there sometimes! They totally make it have a Christmas feel. Make it the middle of November and I am sure people will be in that frame of mind!

I think ornaments are a great idea. You can make it a cookie exchange to. Have people make a batch of cookies for people to try in prep for the next month of baking. Maybe do starters for friend- ship breads. You can still serve harvest items with a Christmas undertone.

If I think of anything else I will post, good luck!!

Kelly
:jack:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The Twelve Teas of Friendship book sound interesting...I have her Twelve Teas of Christmas and just ordered her Teas of Comfort and Joy book

Twelve Teas of Friendship

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
JodyLynn - I don't think you can go wrong with a tea! I looked at the Table of Contents of the book Gingerbug mentioned, and it looks great!

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Noelsmommy - Great idea to have a Christmas Tea in November. My only concern is that I usually don't decorate for Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. I'm not sure how I'd feel to have my tree up before that. But I might give it a try.

Gingerbug - I adore Emilie Barnes! I think I'll see if the library has that book. It looks right up my alley.

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
ahhh, makes sense! Sorry, I didn't think about the house being decorated. I also decorate Thanksgiving weekend, so I would have the same issue. A Harvest tea would be very pretty with cider donuts, pumpkin pie's and breads and all your Autumn decore! Wow, sounds lovely! Can I come??? lol

you have a winderful idea planned, I may have to try it some year! Thanks for the idea!

Kelly :bigsnow:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I think a Harvest Tea sounds wonderful. Use all the pretty fall colors and decorations. I agree with noelsmommy, the cider, donuts type things along with your tea and really its all about the getting together anyway. You could do the ornament exchange and throws a little Christmas Spirit out there as well.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I LOVE the idea of a harvest tea. I think that small turkey salad sandwiches, cranberry chutney over cream cheese with crackers, pumpkin spice cookies or mini cupcakes would be great. Tastefully Simple always comes out with great autumn foods in the fall and would be a great resource for some other finger foods.
You could serve cider along with tea. I so want to do this too!

I think the usual fall decorations are great. You could use fall berries for napkin rings. Leaf cut-outs for placecards.

Best wishes,
Lisa

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Great ideas! My mind is swirling! I'm off to write them down in my planner so I don't forget!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Teachermomof2 -- your food ideas are terrific!!!! Please keep them coming! They are unusual without being overwhelmingly difficult or expensive!

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
What a great idea! realsimple.com has some lovely fall ideas from November 2006 that might work with your tea. They used a magnolia leaf theme - a little less traditional, but still very elegant.

Here's the centerpiece:
http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/co ... 35,00.html

And here is the printable invitation - not sure if you can edit it to say Harvest Tea instead of Thanksgiving Dinner, but it is lovely and might give you some ideas.
http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/co ... 77,00.html

Good luck!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sounds wonderful.
For a craft...what about having icing in baggies and everyone could decorate their own gingerbread men...this could be good for the kids and not too messy if you stick to mainly white icing with candies to decorate.
Another idea...that's a lot stickier would be to give everyone a caramel apple. You could do the dipping in the caramel and not hand them to younger kids until they are cooler. I've seen stores that sell caramel apples dipped in candies, sprinkles, marshmallows, etc.

Here are 2 recipes that seem "fallish" to me:

Make your own candy corn:
http://noshwithme.com/2007/10/candy-corn/

Pumpkin spice mocha
http://bakingbites.com/2005/10/pumpkin-spice-mocha/

:friendly:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
a Harvest tea would be wonderful - I would think October a great month! My favourite month :pilgrim:

I have ordered the "Twelve Teas of Friendship". What a wonderful idea for a book!

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
I think this is a wonderful idea! An annual Harvest themed party is a great way to get everyone together before the holiday season really kicks in.

I think an ornament exchange is a great idea - maybe everyone could bring copies of their favoriate Fall (Seasonal) recipes.

Here are a few books that I enjoy - maybe you will too! :flower:
A Cup of Christmas Tea
by Tom Hegg

The Twelve Teas® of Friendship
by Emilie Barnes, Anne Christian Buchanan, and Susan Rios

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the wonderful ideas! The candy corn recipe looks a little daunting, but it made me think of a recipe I marked in one of my magazines. It was for a snack mix that used candy corn. I think I'll dig that out. Would be a good "munchie."

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
We do a Harvest Party every year but it is more of a cookout. With Chili, Taco Soup, etc.

But I think a Harvest Tea would be great. I love Fall (my birthday is in October). I have soup bowls that I use for Bunco that I serve soup out of. The girls really like that. You could have spiced cider, pumpkin muffins,....I will have to think of this one. Will look at my cookbooks and see what I can come up with.

Christmas3
:package: :package: :package:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
JodyLynn said:
Thanks for the wonderful ideas! The candy corn recipe looks a little daunting, but it made me think of a recipe I marked in one of my magazines. It was for a snack mix that used candy corn. I think I'll dig that out. Would be a good "munchie."

I would love if you could post this recipe when you find it. Thanks.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
If I did lose my mind completely and try the homemade candy corn (I'm rolling pin challenged..can't operate one for the life of me), I'd dare not tell my family....my brother gave me all kinds of grief for making homemade ginger ale! He said "if anyone would do that, it'd be you..." I really don't know what he meant by that, but I'm taking it as a compliment...surely that's how he meant it..right?

I think a Harvest Tea sounds fabulous...my favorite time of year paired with my favorite drink...how can you go wrong with that? Hot spiced cider, pumpkin spice muffins, gingerbread....yummy!!