Has anyone started Gift Closet 2010?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I was at Goodwill right after Christmas. I found a Snoopy/Peanuts Hallmark snowglobe brand new in the box - my girlfriend collects them! YIPPEE!!! Then I found a package of 4 wine goblets, still in the box by Pfalzgraff. Don't know who I will give those to.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Darcy - Those are great finds! Another benefit of having a year-round gift closet is -- every time you look at those items, you will happily remember what perfect bargains they were! Great score!

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
well, i'm working on my Christmas. I have more $ stashed in my savings account, which I am really considering buying gift cards with or at least VISA gift cards - those can be used at any store. :)

Plus, I'm saving Coke points to get a present with. I figure by November, I will have enough points to get a pretty nice present. LOL Anybody got any Coke points they don't want?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
wvalice be careful with the visa gift cards... there are fees associated with it.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
thanks, lucie! I was wondering about that. I would just rather buy gift cards to the stores I know we'll be shopping at, but my husband doesn't want to do that "because then we will be limited to those stores." Dude - we're going to be shopping there anyway, what difference does it make? LOL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The stocking fillers are coming along nicely. Have made a huge list of all the things I usually put in stockings and am working my through that at the moment. Have started picking up a few gifts. Bought my mum 2 rectangular serving dishes for $3.50 each, and got a few Christmas type things in the post Christmas sales that I have put away.
Need to sit down with the kids and get some ideas about what they really like/want/need and start looking at those things.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
At the grocery store -- I stumbled across a 75% off table with Valentines Day things. I got two 4" x 6" clear plastic boxes, with a chubby baby bear holding a bottle of Love's Baby Soft cologne. (Perfect for girls). They didn't SAY anything about Valentine's Day -- just "love". Also, two M&M Characters - holding tubes of M & M candy. These will be handy for small birthday gift add-ons or whatever.

I forgot to actually look for Valentines Day Clearance things.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I picked up some more things on sale/clearance for christmas 2010. for my son in law - he loves the tv series - The Office. He has season one and two - picked up season three, four and five at Target - on sale - 16.50 per seaon. For my daughter on clearance at LLBean - a cashmere hat (12.99), cashmere gloves to match (13.99) and two polo shirts on clearance for 14.99 each. I will wrap the two shirts together, and the hat and gloves together and I already have a LL Bean jacket for her - so that makes three presents for her already and it is only February !!! I like her to have lots to open so I get her about 20 gifts each christmas - she is my only child.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
MrsBean -- those were terrific finds! The L.L>Bean gifts are awesome! And how great to get something your dsil will love. (Do you need to tell your dd -- so she doesn't buy the same thing for your dsil?) Those are really nice gifts!!!!

Christmas 2010 seems REALLY far away to me! I don't know why!!! It seems MUCH farther away now -- than it did at the end of December, 2009. Maybe because the rest of the world is not thinking about Christmas now.... Oh well. Tomorrow is Rudy Day! Maybe that will help!

MissBrittany

Premiere Member
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
MrsPaul- we love The Office! I got all the seasons out so far for about 15$ each on Amazon several months ago.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Hi Sparklenana - no, I dont need to tell my daughter - she was with me !! I show her everything I buy or want to buy for son in law for christmas - she knows everything ahead of time.

I love LLBean - I think their quality is wonderful.
ellen

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
My gift closet is pretty chubby. Not fat. But.... nicely chubby! I got a few things from Valentine's Day Clearance Sales - 75% off. I LOVE clearance sales! I LOVE big sales! I think it is similar to the thrill that hunters feel -- when they find a really good catch!

I am already thinking about my FAVORITE SALE OF ALL! It is in early December. It is a "rummage sale" at a very wealthy church. And -- they consider this sale to be a "gift" to the community. A chance for the community to get extremely gently used first-class items at bargain rates! I need to save up ALL YEAR for this sale!

In fact, today -- I packed up a package of incredibly beautiful baby clothes -- size 3 to 24 months -- that I got at this sale last year. These baby clothes are for a friend--- much more expensive clothes than I could E VER afford new -- and I got them for pennies on the dollar. I bought them in December -- before the baby girl was born. (The parents announced that it was a girl, before she was born.) I am mailing them off -- with some presents for the older sibling. I bought the presents for the older sibling new. But the total package cost way less than $10 total.

So..... SAVING for Christmas 2010 is a very good thing to do! I LOVE Christmas. I LOVE giving gifts. And I REALLY LOVE bargains!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to my mum today and emptied out her gift closet. We looked at what she had for my DH and kids and sat and made lists of what we need to make/buy for this year. We already have a fair bit in both of our gift closets. Writing lists means we can start picking up things as soon as we see them. Getting the ideas is always harder for us then actually buying the gifts. We are off to a good start though.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went shopping yesterday at another part of our town. Found quite a lot of Christmas gifts that I put on Lay-by. DD was with me and we got her all new make up and personal care products to put away. She was very happy. Crossing things off my master list and that makes me very happy.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
always makes us happy to cross something off the list...lol good for u.. congrats..

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I picked up one or two things and a few things that I didn't use last year. They may got to birthday gifts or something. As much as I want to I can't seem to find any thing that makes me say "this would be perfect for XYZ" plus b/n my kids and my brother's plus the 3 cousins we draw for in family Christmas 1/2 my list is kids and I don't like to shop too eary for them only b/c they can change what they like from now to then. What I need to work on instead is the little gifts I make for every one that I can get started on now.