Have any of you ever done this before?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
I was not sure where to put this but here goes....

My sister has some yard ornaments that she puts out in the summer time. One of them is a cute gnome about 2 feet high.....my daughter and I stole him and went all over town and any where else we could think of, we took pictures of the gnome next to fountains, outhouses etc. After we got all the pictures together we mailed one to her at a time with captions that read something like.....help.....get me away from these crazy people....we had such fun, and until the first picture my sister had no idea the gnome was missing. To this day she is not sure who took the gnome. The gnome is now returned safe and sound but we really had a lot of fun with it, I think my sister had fun also. This year I would like to find a whole lot of pink flamingos and fill her yard with them.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
When my aunt turned 50 her kids filled her yard with pink flamingos. We don't live close to each other, but the pictures were hilarious!!

The closest I've ever come to something like that is when I was in college a house in the neighborhood by our dorm had a rock wall...just about 3-4 rocks high, no morter, just stacked. We used to re-stack the wall every so often. I'm not sure if the owners ever knew it or not!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That had me laughing! It sounds so fun! I'll have to keep that idea in mind for when the opportunity presents itself... bwahahaha :flower:

I've seen a little gnome in a box kit at Barnes & Noble bookstores. It's a three-inch tall little gnome that you're supposed to share with friends. You each take pictures of him in different places and write in the little passport that comes in the kit and pass him on to the next person. Great diversion.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Sounds like a ton of fun...I suggested something similar to it with a Magic Elf last Christmas...

Here's the link to the Barnes and Noble Gnome kit:

GNOME

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That is GREAT!!!! :rotflol: Would love to do something like that on one of my bosses. She would get a kick out of it. I would never be ever to hide it IF she would start talking about it. She knows me to well.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
:rotflol: How fun! Trying to think of who I could do something similar...

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
We have a local farmers market that sells these cows, that are lawn ornaments made of a wooden base and then covered with fabric. They have the "herd" all set on the bank outside of their market like they are all grazing. Cutest thing to see...until one year 3/4 of them disappeared! Then they began showing up "grazing" outside the local grocery store, senior citizens complex, library, etc. The police officers picked them all up and transported them home and the locals all chuckled.
But....the authorities had a clue to who had re-located the herd and made an arrest. I knew the boy and I wonder what he will feel like in later years when he has to explain to a prospective employer that he has a criminal record for stealing cows??

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
We have some friends that "forgot" to pack towels on a camping trip once. After much blame going back & forth on whose fault it was......a secret plan was devised.

They became members of the "Towel of the Month" Club. For one year, they received a towel anonomously from one of 7 of us, each month. The kicker was that as a donater, you had to take your picture with the towel. They received everything from worn out bathtowels, to dishtowels, a couple of old beach towels, etc. The pictures were then compiled into a photo album and presented to them at the end of one year. It was hilarious to see the different ways everyone "displayed" the towels they were donating. It also gave the receiving couple the information on who gave which towel. Tooo funny!

Pippi

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
My friends had a large ornament as a wedding present which neither of them liked, but the ornament came from one of their aunts who visited their home regularly. One day the ornament went missing and was finally found hidden in the washing basket! This resulted in the ornament turning up in the strangest of places. My friends had such good fun, as neither knew if the other had found it and re-hidden it! The trouble was, that it had to be found and put back on the mantlepiece if they knew the Aunt was coming to visit! This went on for a couple of years until it was finally dropped and the fun came to an end!

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
In a college not far from us, there was a student that used to steal the neighbors Rabbits For Sale sign everytime they would put one out. It got to be a game with them. They never met the student but when she graduated, she sent them an invitation. They did show up, and when she won the award for highest honors, she reached inside the podium and took out one of the signs and held it up. It was an elderly couple who owned the signs and the look on their face was priceless. She invited them to the reception after graduation and they were so proud to be a part of it all.

purplecrush

Premiere Member
Ive seen something similar...its a little cut-out of a guy and its called Flat Stanley. Ive never had one, but ive seen people at the zoo, beach, mall, parks, schools, etc..taking pics of this piece of paper guy (Flat Stanley) I think its a cute idea.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Flat Stanley is usually part of a school project where the student sends their paper person to someone out-of-town or even out-of-country. The paper person (my kids' school uses the child's name for it) then lives with the family for a few weeks and learns about that part of the country/world and reports back to the school. Sometimes the host family then sends it on to someone else.

DD did it this year with her class & Flat Sarah visited Phoenix, Mexico, California, Washington DC, Vermont, Boston, and New York City all within about 5 months. Her class got regular emails and photos of all that Flat Sarah saw and did. One flat person in her class actually went all the way around the world - it visited every continent!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Hi There Snowqueen! I'm waving in your general direction because I'm just "down the hill" (Killington) from you . lol