have you started yet?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
Has anyone made anything yet and placed it in the freezer for Thanksgiving dinner? . .

I have company coming for the five days prior to that. So things will be a little different around here during that time.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
No I never make anything in advance to freeze. I will do my baking the night before.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I would say having your turkey counts. I have mine, although he is out running around in the barnyard (no not dh I do mean a turkey haha) We raise turkeys and sell for Thanksgiving.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
A week from Monday a friend and I are going to the Turkey Store just north of us. My freezer space is stuffed right now like a turkey, don't suppose that counts. I have picked up some extra baking items.

cat46

MHH Member
Oct 3, 2008
:friendly: The only thing I've started for Thanksgiving is shopping for the dinner. I start in September and get the gravy, cornbread, cranberry sauce, olives and pie mix.
cat 46

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
ChristmasCheerSpredr - fruitcakes were in a display near the front door of my supermarket yesterday! It was kind of a shock to see them there!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I don't have a large freezer so I cook and bake the day before...but....

I have been adding ingredients to my grocery shopping list for the past month and will continue doing so. Spices are so expensive so if I add a different spice to my list each trip, it is not a huge expense all at once. I now have the spices I need for all my holiday baking and I have been working on the other things. This week's grocery list includes 2 cans of cranberry sauce (the kids prefer the jellied kind), a bag of bread flour and a big bag of walnuts.

Savannahmom

Retire Member
Sep 25, 2008
Savannah GA
I've started buying dry things and baking stuff.I bought my tall container of fruitcake mix for my fruitcake cookies.It's 4.19 now at wal-mart closer to the holidays it runs 7.00.I'll get my collard soon and freeze them.So I'm not trying to clean them then.Has anyone else noticed they mulitply when you put them in water :grin:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I am slowly but surely stocking up on things for the holidays. I get paid twice a month, and that is when I shop, so little by little, I will get it done. I bought ten pounds of sugar last month for $6. I have a can of pumkin, and extra chocolate chips. With my family, for holiday dinners we have a pitch in.

:friendly: At Thanksgiving, I'll provide the turkey, but since I don't have an extra freezer will wait closer to time, as they will be cheaper then. I will also make sweet potato casserole; otherwise, I would be kicked out of the family. :pilgrim: (I also make it for Christmas.)

So, I guess I can say that I have started, but not in a very grand way. But it is a start.

:bigsnow:

grammea

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2008
So far I have extra flour and sugar.
I need to stock up on cranberry sauce as that is practically a staple around here.
I was amazed at the flucuation in price though from storre to store.
In our local Stop&Shop it was 1.59$ though it will go down usually to 1$ near Thanksgiving.
Then I was in Wal-Mart for something and noticed they have it for 88 cents! I will be going there.
We never get by without at least 3 or 4 cans and maybe more.
Hugs and God bless,
Helen(grammea)

BamaMom

Retire Member
Sep 13, 2008
Anniston, AL
www.slumberpartiesbytif.com
I don't have a freezer, so I won't be doing anything until the day before. But I have been thinking about the shopping list. We always do a potluck, where a couple family members bring a couple dishes!!!

I can't wait! It is my favorite meal!