HGP 2015 - Week 4 - Master Bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week Four of the Holiday Grand Plan sees us move into the master bedroom to deep-clean and cut clutter, creating a serene and peaceful refuge for the busy days ahead.

As the season changes, we rout out the closet and organize clothing.

Our holiday prep tasks center on homemade gifts, and we'll begin budgeting "to-buy" items week-by-week.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I wish I could say my master bedroom was a haven, but lately it seems to be the place where baskets of laundry are stored (as they are not being folded) and stacks of books await reading (or gather dust).

September seems to be that in-between month for clothes, still warm enough for t-shirts and capri, but you may need a sweater in the morning. Plan is to go through all my clothes and create a list of needed fall/winter items and toss items that no longer serve their purpose. I keep a fairly minimal wardrobe - so it shouldn't take long :) My DH however is a different story! Lots of stuff crammed into his drawers, and not a clear idea of what to wear.

Linen for this bedroom is in good shape. Bathroom needs bath sheets, but will hold off until renovation for that space is complete. Added new table napkins to my 'find and purchase' list :)

Last edited:

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Wrapping up Week 3...
[X] Make a holiday meal and add it to the freezer. **I made a double batch of the ricotta cheese meatballs mentioned in the freezer cooking thread and three bags of Savory CrockPot Italian Chicken. Between Costco and Aldi, I got pretty much everything I needed to make everything, so that worked out nicely.
http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythin...ese-meatballs/
http://thefrugalgirls.com/2015/09/sa...n-chicken.html
[X] Buy two canned food items from the Thanksgiving menu. **Cranberry sauce done! I also found some really amazing chocolates to put away for the holidays at Costco: "Chocolates of the World" (some international assortment of truffle sort of things individually-wrapped in foil) and Bailey's truffles (OMG). I like to set out dishes of candy and munchies for guests, and these will look extra-snazzy.
[ ] Organize an area to keep items for the Thanksgiving menu. **I usually set up a box or extra laundry basket in our spare bedroom/office/library to corral this sort of thing. Wish I had a walk-in pantry!

[X] Order Christmas cards and address labels (rolled over from Week 2). I found super-cute Christmas cards at Tuesday Morning yesterday. They already had a LOT of Christmas stuff out. The address labels from TinyPrints arrived this past week, too.

Looking ahead to Week 4... The Master Bedroom.
My husband hung up brand-new blinds in our bedroom last night, so that was perfect timing for moving into the master bedroom with cleaning and organizing tasks. Can't wait to get everything looking spiffy!

[ ] Sort items in dresser drawers. Only put back items that will be worn. **I'd like to clear out some space in the dresser in our guest room (I keep summer casual clothes in there). The dressers in our own bedroom are fine.
[X] Sort jewelry box. **I have some things that are not heirloom/special that I've just grown out of and need to go.
[/] Sort bedroom closet. **We have a walk-in closet, and I did this for my own clothes during August before the school year started. I should probably sort the husband's side.
[/] Sort shoes. **The shoes in my own closet are sorted, but I need to attack the closet near our foyer.
[ ] Start thinking about holiday clothing and cold weather clothing. **I need a new winter coat for sure. I have preferred the wool pea coats for winter in the past, but I'm trying to decide if I can spring for a North Face one this year.
[ ] Wash windows.
[ ] Remove clutter.
[ ] Vacuum and dust.
[ ] Wash bed linens.
[ ] Add warm blankets to the bed. **We're having a warmer start to autumn this year, so I think we're fine without our heating blanket just yet. I added a throw to the bed last week and that's just about right at the moment. The long-term forecast is hinting at a first frost around the first week of October.
[ ] Wash pillows.
[ ] Make one batch of holiday goodies. **Going to try making and freezing cookie dough. Husband has requested a trial of peanut butter cookies using stevia, too, so I might do those first.
[ ] Make a holiday meal and add it to the freezer. **Considering something from here: http://overthebigmoon.com/freezer-meals/
[ ] Buy two canned food items from the Thanksgiving menu.
[/] Make a list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week. **I picked up some cute autumn hand towels yesterday, but I'm going to keep looking out for Christmas ones to add to what I already have for the kitchen and half bath. We're set on table and guest bathroom towels.

Whoo! Week 4! Bring it on! :tree2:

Last edited:

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Update time... I made a lot of progress in our master bedroom this afternoon, and wrapped up the last Week 3 thing I had to do by making a space for the Thanksgiving meal ingredients I am purchasing ahead of time. I played some Christmas music ("A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Garibaldi Trio) on my laptop to remind me of the goal and to keep me entertained while I dusted and polished everything.

:clothes:

Week 4

[ ] Sort items in dresser drawers. Only put back items that will be worn. **Need to attack "overflow" in guest room dresser.
[X] Sort jewelry box.
[/] Sort bedroom closet. **Finish hubby's side!
[/] Sort shoes. **Check foyer closet and sort shoes in there.
[X] Start thinking about holiday clothing and cold weather clothing. **Lists made.
[X] Wash windows.
[/] Remove clutter. **A few things that I removed need to be put away.
[X] Vacuum and dust.
[X] Wash bed linens.
[?] Add warm blankets to the bed. **As needed; probably first week of October.
[ ] Wash pillows. **Probably can do this Monday evening.
[/] Make one batch of holiday goodies. **PB cookies done (recipe linked below). Going to add one more thing this week, but not sure what.
http://www.wallflourgirl.com/2014/0...y-chewy-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/
[ ] Make a holiday meal and add it to the freezer. **Considering something from here: http://overthebigmoon.com/freezer-meals/
[ ] Buy two canned food items from the Thanksgiving menu.
[/] Make a list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week. **Christmas towels for half bathroom?

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am leaving the Master bedroom until next week.
DH will be on holidays and I will need his help in cleaning out his cupboard and doing heavy work such as rotating the mattress.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well, SHOOT! For some reason I had it in my head that this week was Master Bath week! I did almost all of my Master Bath tasks yesterday!

UGH! Oh well, I guess I am ahead of the game for next week, huh? :)

SO, my list for Master Bedroom week is as follows:

[ ] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[ ] Clean fan blades
[ ] Dust blinds/spot clean as needed
[ ] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[ ] Sort/Org both bedside tables
[ ] Sort/Org my dresser
[ ] Sort/Org DH dresser
[ ] Empty, clean and reorganize closet
[ ] Flip seasons in our closets
[ ] Reserve some summer clothes
[ ] Replace batteries in closet lights
[ ] Dust
[ ] Vacuum behind dressers, etc.
[ ] Wipe down baseboards/Wipe down light switches/Etc.
[X] Get out fall/winter bedding- Put away summer (wash first)

Holiday Prep Tasks:

[/] Finalize menus for all holidays, parties, etc.
[/] Review budget
[X] Make at least two freezer meals or meal components - Made a new recipe called Crunchy Swiss Topped Chicken - had half for dinner - YUM! - and froze the rest; Did 1 bag of Bourbon Crockpot Chicken and also made a batch of Make Ahead Butterhorn Rolls as well...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have checked all linens and seem to be in good shape.
I made a new runner in Christmas fabric at the beginning of the year so I think all table linens are in good shape. I so need some new towels for in my bathroom, I mentioned this to my mum and she has bought me some for a Christmas gift. A really nice bright orange that will suit most seasons.
If I see any winter sheets marked down I may buy 1 fitted sheet to replace one that we used this Winter and is getting a little thin.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I had a really long day at work yesterday, with a two-hour meeting after, so I was out of steam by the time I got home and decided to give myself an early bedtime rather than push too hard on additional tasks. This morning I got right back at it, though, and our pillows are simmering away in the washer :) as I type this. Another thing to check off the list! :)

I'm really loving our freezer stash already this fall. I've been making extra freezer meals so that I would have some to get into right away and some to save for November and December. I put some Green Chile Chicken (http://thefrugalgirls.com/2015/05/crockpot-freezer-meal-green-chile-chicken.html) in the CrockPot this morning, and I'll be coming home to meat that is ready for shredding and adding to chicken tacos. I have a wedding to go to this upcoming Friday/Saturday, but I'm hoping to add more to the freezer on Sunday. It's just so convenient!

By the way, Aunt Jamelle's collection of Pinterest boards is super-awesome. I got a little lost digging around in all of her awesome Christmas ideas last night before bed (https://www.pinterest.com/klinkj0806/). I'm a total Pinterest junkie anyway. :D

What's keeping you ladies busy today?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Awww, thanks CheeryChick! I'm still happily browsing my way through your boards! :)

Small progress update on the master bedroom:

[X] Dust ceiling for cobwebs
[X] Clean fan blades
[X] Dust blinds/spot clean as needed
[X] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[X] Sort/Org both bedside tables
[ ] Sort/Org my dresser
[ ] Sort/Org DH dresser
[ ] Empty, clean and reorganize closet
[ ] Flip seasons in our closets
[ ] Reserve some summer clothes
[ ] Replace batteries in closet lights
[X] Dust
[ ] Vacuum behind dressers, etc.
[ ] Wipe down baseboards/Wipe down light switches/Etc.
[X] Get out fall/winter bedding- Put away summer (wash first)

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I have my master bedroom decluttered. This week and last week I ironed most of my holiday linens. I found two more sets and still need ironing.

I am so behind on starting gifts (shakes head in disbelief) ...

I am not doing a lot of holiday baking... yet. Once pumpkins are in the grocery store then watch out!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I finished the dressers!

Still haven't flipped the clothes by season yet - mornings are really cool here but it gets back up to 80 by mid afternoon.

Hesitating to flip closets JUST yet. Or maybe I'm just procrastinating...

My official story is that I'm being cautious. :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Yesterday I took the day off work and made a big dent in my painting plans!

All of the trim in the house (except the window trim) has been unpainted since we moved in. SO tired of looking at that!

So yesterday I caulked, taped and painted the hallway facing side of 4 doors, then I did the same for the trim around the big wood/glass front door and then also the side door and double doors in the living room.

Took the painter's tape off last night! I count this as a sort of misc. HGP task since it definitely gets the house closer to where I want it for the holidays!

Still have ALL the floor trim to do, and the insides of the door frames in all 3 bedrooms and the 2 baths. We'll see how far I get!

I also spent about an hour at the end of day trying to finish painting the big swingset we have for DS. Still not done but made a decent dent in what was left!

I'm planning to take next Thursday off work too to do more painting - I need to paint exterior of living room doors that open onto the deck (so side door and the double doors) plus try to work on the trim some more. And we are going to run out of nice warm days soon!

The thought of trying to juggle normal schedule, house cleaning, laundry, freezer cooking, HGP and the painting makes me want a nap. LOL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mattress has been rotated but will still hold off on the master bedroom for a while. I am working everyday next week so it will be the week after before I can find the time.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Plans to finish up the last few drawers this evening. Had finished and made more of a mess this week as I removed DH seasonal clothes and too small pants :eek:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
No, plans changed. I ended up finishing the master bedroom last week. The cleaning bug took hold and it got done. DH just needs to do his wardrobe, but it is his problem if it is not done, I don't need to look at it.