HGP Kids Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Kids' Room Week
Week 6: Sept. 30 - Oct. 6, 2012
Holiday Grand Plan

Holiday Grand Plan by Katie Leckey
Holiday Grand Plan Printables by Cynthia Ewer

Will Santa be visiting your house this year? Time to sort out the short stuff!

This week, we focus on kids' rooms for deep-cleaning, decluttering and organizing so that there's room to spare for Santa's gifts.

Our holiday prep assignments include assembling freezer meals, working on hand-crafted gifts, and continuing to buy gifts and holiday supplies.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!
Deep Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Children's Rooms

holiday grand plan checklist

Kids' Rooms / Play Areas
Kids' Room checklist

Holiday Prep

Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
Check smoke detectors and clean them, change batteries if needed.
Make "goody basket" for guest bath, from samples found in abundance in stores right now.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I have no kids at home now so I will use this week to catch up on the holiday prep and start stashing some cookies in the freezer. ;) maybe catch up on a room where I dropped the ball so to speak.
And sort threw some decorations.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Need to attend to the clothing issue in the boys rooms - they have over stuffed drawers of things they do not seem to wear! Must donate items that are too small, toss the items that are beyond repair, and take the rest and organize much better! They never seem to have enough socks or at least cannot find them!

Making a list of items that are in need too, at a glance from doing laundry today that seems to be: socks, boxers, pj bottoms, and new slippers. Teenage boys - do they ever stop growing :)

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have a long list to attend to, but I did make some progress on it last weekend, while also finishing off the bathroom list. I hope to post the list later, but I need to make progress on the holiday prep side of things this week (that is sadly way behind).

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I only have one kid's room, and since we're moving in the Spring and don't want to put shelves in, all that's in there is a bed and buckets of books and toys. It always looks like a disaster area because the first thing DD does when she goes in there is dump out every bucket, but it's also pretty quick to clean up.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks to some time spent on DS's closet earlier in the HGP, I have less of a job ahead of me this week!

Which is good because I am still playing catch up! Our front porch is approaching the end of its construction phase - DH enclosed the porch and put up cedar shingles on the outside of the half walls. Screens will go in to finish the enclosure.

I spent some time this weekend deep cleaning the porch area, washing down the ceiling and shingles, light fixture - etc. that are now within the enclosed porch. Touched up the windows as well. :)

It also just so happens that we are getting DS a new twin bed this week. The crib he had sort of converts into a big boy bed, but the whole thing is just worn out. His bouncing on the bed has broken a piece and although we've taped it back together it is by all means a temporary fix!

So we'll be pulling the old bed out and putting the new one in. Which means I'll need to find new homes for the bedding, etc. that has always been stored in the drawers that were part of the crib unit. Fun, fun!

Kid's Room HGP Tasks:

[ ] Dust ceiling & fan for cobwebs
[ ] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[ ] Dust/Clean mini blinds
[ ] Dust shelf, frames, etc.
[ ] Relocate outgrown items to totes in basement as needed
[ ] Empty/Clean/Reorg Dresser Drawer Contents
[ ] Remove old crib and install new twin bed
[ ] Install bed rails

Holiday Prep Tasks:

[ ] Make 1-2 holiday meals for the freezer
[ ] Continue work on holiday event menus and master grocery list
[ ] Continue work on holiday crafts

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
This week, my list looks long, but it is getting done in steps so not too bad. And part of it is catch up from previous weeks.

[] Hoover DD's room to skirtings
[] Clean the 3 attic windows, inside and out
[] Clean mirror
[x] Do seasonal clothes change for DD
[x] Take out clothes that are too small for younger cousins
[x] Sort DD's books
[] Sort DD's toys
[] Take out some toys for seasonal rotation
[] Take out toys for donation to charity/cousins
[] Tidy under the bed
[] Dust the dresser, chest of drawers, bookcase
[] Dust master bedroom
[] Clean gutters
[] Wash outside windows
[] Sweep chimney
[] Check smoke alarms
[] Bring wetsuits etc to storage unit
[] Plant out leeks

[] Book dentist appointments
[x] Pay house insurance
[] Order coal, logs, briquettes
[x][x][] Keep emptying freezer
[x] Sew DH's button on trousers
[] Sew button on my coat
[] Repair underarms of my navy jumper

[] Consider holiday outfits
[] Book Santa outing to "Narnia"
[] Work on crafts list (beanie hats, crayon rolls, cards especially)
[] Make 1 batch cookie dough
[] Start limoncello
[] Buy 1-2 gifts
[x] Find and Buy 3 pine cone decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 fruit basket decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 flower basket decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 fish decorations
[] Write 5 cards
[] Make 1 freezer meal

I may not get everything done, but it's all helping. The one area I need to start concentrating on is the holiday prep parts, mainly crafting and gift buying.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
That is quite a list, Winged One! Good luck!!!

Small progress to report, but a little is better than nothing:

[X] Dust ceiling & fan for cobwebs
[X] Windex windows/Clean window sills
[X] Dust/Clean mini blinds
[X] Dust shelf, frames, etc.

Spent about an hour on crafting after DS went to bed last night, working on a gift item. Hope to do the same tonight!

Catch Up Tasks Status:

[X] Empty/Clean/Reorg both master bath cabinets

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Finally, I can actually say I finished this week! We changed out the boys' beds last week...from a toddler to twin bed for DS3 and twin to queen that we had in storage for DS7. I also finally let go of all of those baby clothes...no more for me. Mom & I dropped off 17 bags (yikes!) of clothes, bedding, etc. It was extremely bittersweet, but in the end, it feels really good to have the space back! I also gave away the glider from my nursing days and my parents bought DS a "circle" chair for his room. I installed cubby systems in both closets to keep soccer, tennis, swimming, etc. clothes and accessories together and bought both boys an armrest pillow (mom says it's called a husband?) so that they can read comfortably on their beds (clearance at bed, bath & beyond) My mom suggested putting those 3M command hooks at kid height in the closets so that they can hang their backpacks in there instead of the crowded hall closet - genius!!! Now if I can just convince DH to paint DS7's room...there is a sailboat mural (originally the nursery) that is lovely, but I think it's time to go. He doesn't agree.

Of course I haven't even looked at the holiday prep for the last two weeks, but I continue my gift buying (picking up one GC every so often, etc.) Stocking stuffers are almost done...now I need to start wrapping them.

Keep up the great work, everyone!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Now if I can just convince DH to paint DS7's room...there is a sailboat mural (originally the nursery) that is lovely, but I think it's time to go. He doesn't agree.!
Take some photos of the mural so you have it documented before painting over it. It might make it easier for dh to part with it.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
It was really freaky last night when DD was going to bed. She not only volunteered to tidy up her toys in the sitting room that she'd had out in the afternoon, but she ASKED if I could help her tidy her room at the weekend. Including going through all the toys to give some away that she doesn't use, and tidying all the storage boxes!!! = O

I am more than happy to include her in the plans, but I hadn't even mentioned that I was planning on hitting her room big time on Saturday while she's at a party. So I'll do some while she's out, but do the obvious things later when she's home and get her involved!! Happy happy happy!!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Well, I made progress, although not in all areas. But we abandoned tidying yesterday for a day out in an amusement type park about an hour from home, as it was a nice dry, fine day and a shame to waste the nice weather. There will always be time for tidying on wet days to come!! (Like today, for instance :) )

[] Hoover DD's room to skirtings
[] Clean the 3 attic windows, inside and out
[] Clean mirror
[x] Do seasonal clothes change for DD
[x] Take out clothes that are too small for younger cousins
[x] Sort DD's books
[] Sort DD's toys
[] Take out some toys for seasonal rotation
[] Take out toys for donation to charity/cousins
[] Tidy under the bed
[] Dust the dresser, chest of drawers, bookcase
[] Dust master bedroom
[] Clean gutters
[] Wash outside windows
[] Sweep chimney
[x] Check smoke alarms
[x] Bring wetsuits etc to storage unit
[] Plant out leeks
[x] Dust Sitting room

[] Book dentist appointments
[x] Pay house insurance
[] Order coal, logs, briquettes
[x][x][x][x] Keep emptying freezer
[x] Sew DH's button on trousers
[x] Sew button on my coat
[x] Repair underarms of my navy jumper

[] Consider holiday outfits
[] Book Santa outing to "Narnia"
[x][x][x][x][x][x] Work on crafts list (beanie hats, crayon rolls, cards especially)
[] Make 1 batch cookie dough
[] Start limoncello
[x][x] Buy 1-2 gifts
[x] Find and Buy 3 pine cone decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 fruit basket decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 flower basket decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 fish decorations
[] Write 5 cards
[x] Make 1 freezer meal
[x] Finish autumn seasonal clothes change for me
[x] Get new tv (our analogue signal is being switched off at the end of the month so we needed digital)
[x] Bring old tv for recycling (and wrappings from new tv)