HGP week 1 List week (and porch)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
You ladies are inspiring!!!

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I changed my small garden flag but not the big one yet. The only one I have is a scarecrow w/ jackolanterns and I didn't want to put it up yet. I need to find somethig different for the in b/n time. Right now it's still the watermelon. The porch is still covered w/ spider webs but I am working on it.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
jackfrosty - we brought in our patio umbrella and planters in anticipation of Earl as well! It doesn't look like we'll get much more than some strong wind though.

On a happier note, DH and I finished painting our entryway/front hall last night! It is a pale, cheery yellow. Check! One more thing off my To Do list!

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Today I started trimming bushes. It's cloudy and misting outside, but I'll take that over 100º weather. Now I just need to mulch that side of the house. Tomorrow it's supposed to be a cool day — 90º — so I'm hoping to get a lot done outside.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
My goal for today is to Clean my Front Porch! And -- hang up a nice wreath! Kind of "transitional".... it is grape vines, with some smallish red flowers here and there. I THINK a nice red mum would look pretty there too. Perhaps that will be my reward for working on the porch!

Working in the garden will be ongoing... especially as the weather gets cooler! However... I don't consider that to be part of the HGP!!! I consider it to be (1) fun and (2) light exercise.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finished cleaning up the flower beds today while DS is taking his nap. He is still snoozing for now so I jumped on here to see the latest posts... :)

Once he wakes up I'll get in the attic and get down some Fall decorations. The attic stairs are the kind that slide down when you pull on a cord and they make ALOT of noise!
He sleeps pretty good with noise, but not THAT good!

As time allows I'm going to get jump start on next weeks HGP tasks today. But I also want to work in a walk with DS later too. And a trip to the gym after DH gets home from work, but we'll see!

Last edited:

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
At this point I have all of my homekeeping chores on my list finished except for washing the globes on our patio lights. Yesterday it was high in the low 70s and was a great day to get things done. I still need to work on my lists so will work on that tonight and tomorrw. But I'm basically ready for Week 2!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi everyone,

Just logging in at the very end of list week!

It's been productive :) The front garden (which is mostly paved) has been de-weeded. I have finalised my menu plans for various events and done my master shopping list divided in to sections.

The gift list, budget and card list were all done over past Rudy days, so it's been an easy week really.

Looking forward to week 2!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Merging week one and two. I actully got a jump start on my list making about three weeks ago, and last week was so busy, I didn't get anything done! 3 nights of youth revival, 1 night in an activity with cousin, 1 night at football game and today is Saturday!

Most forms are printed and in my notebook. I need to work on card list.

Don't have a porch, but power washed the entire front of the house 2 weeks ago - mainly to get rid of wasps and dirt dobbers. Had a huge dobber nest on top of front light.

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Didn't finish everything yet, but I am already so much further ahead than I was last year. Yeah!!!

It feels a bit cool this morning. I think I'll get back outside before it gets hot again.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'm pretty happy with week one porgress although I'm still going to be working on it tomorrow even though the new week has started!!

[ ] Clean spiders webs from porch

[ ] Wash siding around front door and porch

[X] Spray paint little table that sits on front porch

[X] Spray paint this little wire rack/basket thing that sits on the table and will be filled with pumpkins and gourds

[ ] Mop front porch

[ ] Get a new door mat for front porch

ALONG with this I hope to

[X] Weed flower bed that runs along front of house

[X] Weed fairy garden that is by front porch

[X] Also clip dead leaves etc from plants not just weed.

On the list for tomorow is the mopping. spider webs and cleaning the siding along the front of the house! Also I still need to purchase a mat but will get it in the ext week or so when better selections are available for fall.

In addition I did purchase some solar lighting units to go in the flowerbeds....not sure how much sunlight they will get to power them but I love the look of them!!

I'm counting WEEK ONE as a success!!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
[x] Sweep front porch area, including front door and windows
[] Wash all outside windows on ground floor
[-] Hoover house (badly needed) - cleaners booked for this week
[x] Update the presents list
[] Write the cards list, including a list of handmade cards to make (and for who)
[x] Print a calendar for December to start tracking events
[] Decide on location for the Holidays - know we'll be in MIL's for DD's birthday but where on Christmas Day itself? - Discussions are ongoing!!
[x] Inventory the pantry to start using up items, and make a list of items needed for Christmas baking
[] Write a master crafting list, to ensure nothing gets forgotten and I have time for it all
[x] Sew DD's duvet and pillow cover set - made the duvet cover, but need some backing fabric for the pillow cover as not enough patterned fabric left
[] Sew DD's Christmas PJs
[xx] Sew 4 crayon rolls - sewn 2, and cut out 3 more
[] Sew 2 makeup brush rolls
[] Sew Dollie clothes (one or two outfits, depending on time)
[] Make 3 cards
[] Harvest vegetables from the plot, and start getting it covered for winter
[x] Help DD settle in to school

Plenty of progress made, although there are still a few things that need attention in the office this week (I do my paperwork better there on 5 minute breaks from work).

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Oops, I forgot to add to that list, that DD made great progress yesterday! We put all her toys into one room (from her bedroom, and the spares from the attic, all down with the ones that live in the playroom anyway) and sorted them. Checked what was broken, put sets together, generally sorted through, and organised them.

In the end, there was very little put for getting rid of (I managed to get rid of about 6 of the more than 20 McDonald's Happy meal toys), but she has put a different set of blocks away in storage to take out her trucks, we swopped a couple of jigsaws, and I will have a look at the soft toys again this week some night when she's asleep (cos she "loves" them all but rarely plays with them, and only has a few favourites for bedtime snuggles).

And everything now fits into the boxes, which we can close the lids of, rather than being scattered everywhere.

I need now to tackle the pile of artworks - I definitely need to cull that bag by at least half!

Mushy1127

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2010
Getting things done!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board. I lost my old board and so am trying out something new. I had joined a yahoogroup called Christmas Clutter Countdown. They have a similar program but the rooms are in a different order. I had just converted over when I found you guys! Now I don't know what to do!

Because of CCC we've done our basement and attic storage already.

I am tentatively back on HGP so this weekend we did our back porch which was a HUGE job. We sorted and got rid of 4 bags of old broken or faded toys, moved some furniture and the playhouse around. Swept and hosed down the patio. DH tried to mow the lawn, but it's not working for some reason.

Still to do:
(_)Wipe down and (hopefully) paint the panels next to the front door.
(_)Sweep the front porch
(_)Buy fall plants
(_)Replace rugs with something seasonal
(_)Wipe down light fixtures.
(_)Wipe down tables and toss old table clothes

I was on such a roll this weekend that I organized my bathroom cabinets which I was DREADING. It'll be nice to have that out of the way Bathroom Week. I also did our pantry which will no doubt need redone by Kitchen week, but it'll be THAT much easier.

Our boys are moving bedrooms this week so I also redid EVERYONE in the entire family's dressers and sorted clothes. All of the surfaces in what will soon be the boys room are clean and decluttered. Their new sheets are in the wash, now all we need are the bunkbeds which will be here hopefully wednesday!

Whew! Dh thinks we did more work this weekend than we did the entire summer. :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mushy1127 - Way to go on the cabinets! I like to get a jump start on things like that sometimes too! Getting the "hard" jobs out of the way before that week arrives on the HGP can be such a huge motivator!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
HI girls, haven't been here in ages! We just got back from a 7 week trip cross country and yesterday realized IT'S TIME TO START PLANNING FOR CHRISTMAS!!! LOL I just printed out my pages for the Grand Plan and the Christmas Countdown! Can't wait to start working on my binder!! SO happy to be back!