HGP Week 3 - Entry/Foyer Week!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Today was my weekly, CLEAN THE BATHROOM Day and now that I do it thoroughly each week, it doesn't take long to wipe things down. Only about 15 min. and it's done!! Thank you FlyLady!

I removed some of the mess by the front door and will get to the rest during the week. We had remnants of Ike come thru last night and I have branches and oak leaf clusters all over the yard. DS will help me clean those up.

My Goals this week:

( ) Finish by front door
( ) Inventory and clean out freezer

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
I sanded the molding around the door and sanded the door a bit. I can't get to everything since it is hanging up with a doorknob in the way. But the sad thing is even with part of metal showing through it is a big improvement.

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
I found out it is really good luck to paint your front door red, so I'm going for it. Every door on the street is white so mine will definitely pop!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Tasha said:
I found out it is really good luck to paint your front door red, so I'm going for it. Every door on the street is white so mine will definitely pop!

Some of your neighbors may follow once they see how nice your door looks -- especially at Christmas. Happy painting.

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
Today I sanded the molding around the door again. Cleaned out some of the old caulking. And cleaned the trim around the glass insert, sanded, cleaned the old caulking out. Recaulked everything, trim, glass insert. Taped off the trim around the glass and painted a couple of coats. I think I'm really going to like it!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Our doors are red too!!! (the roofing is red with black), so the shutters are black and it looks very nice!

Wasn't feeling too great today (hope I'm not having a relapse - ulcerative colitis), but I managed to work all-day, than came home to a crockpot supper (yay!), 2 laundry loads and some ironing.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Does it count if I have a red front porch swing?

:haha:

Ah well, I have finally made some progress on my cleaning tasks. And a little progress on my Holiday tasks as well. Yahoo!

My Holiday Prep tasks:

[ :rudolph: ]Make one batch of Holiday Goodies - Tried new recipe and it turned out terrible, but at least I know now

[]Make up one freezer meal component

[]Buy two canned food items from Menus - On grocery list

[]Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area

[ :rudolph: ]Buy all supplies for homemade gifts

[]Buy camera batteries, etc. – On grocery list

Cleaning Focus:

[ :rudolph: ]Assemble supplies: Duster, Windex, Paper Towels, Broom, Duster-Mop, Bucket, Rags, Pine-Sol, Vacuum, Magic Erasers, Step-stool
[ :rudolph: ]Sweep down ceilings, corners and tops of doorways to get rid of any cobwebs
[ :rudolph: ]Dust/Wipe down wire rack above washer/dryer
[ :rudolph: ]Dust shelf over stairs (Clean decorative arrangement & store for spring – replace w/ seasonal)
[ :rudolph: ]Dust all air vents/slats on wooden door to basement area/top of downstairs fridge/etc.
[ :rudolph: ]Dust hall table (including legs)
[ :rudolph: ]Dust stairway window blinds, ledge
[ :rudolph: ]Dust or wash all walls, including in stairway area
[ :rudolph: ]Wipe down washer, dryer and trash can
[ :rudolph: ]Wipe down countertop
[ :rudolph: ]Windex framed picture at top of stairs
[ :rudolph: ]Windex mirror and photo frames in hallway
[]Touch up nicks in paint at top of stairs (if I can find leftover paint!)
[ :rudolph: ]Clean out fridge/freezer (throw out anything expired, wipe down all shelves, etc.)
[ :rudolph: ]Reorganize laundry room cupboard
[ :rudolph: ]Coat closet: empty, sort clothes (by family member, season). Remove any "off-season" items and decide whether to trash, donate, or store elsewhere. Replace only those items which should be in your coat closet.
[]Replace potpourri in glass sconces
[ :rudolph: ]Vacuum floor (take up rugs) and steps (also behind washer and dryer)
[ :rudolph: ]Mop floor, including linoleum
[ :rudolph: ]Wash steps

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
cmerth said:
I am done with my foyer/dining room cleaning early!! I am celebrating by relaxing today!

Good for you! You've inspired me to keep at it! Enjoy your day of rest.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Holiday Prep:
Leftover to catch up:
[] Ring FIL to purchase fake tree for holiday rental
[] Order Christmas cards Researched but can’t order for another few weeks
[] Check Santa train dates Have ordered tickets but can’t check dates yet

[::eek:rnament:] Make 1 batch holiday cookies dough Made a batch of chocolate chip on Sunday – baked half and saved half for freezer
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Make 1 holiday meal for freezer Made 3 dinners and 2 toddler dinners of spaghetti bolognaise (as well as 1 lot for tonight), and 2 dinners of a plain tomato sauce for adding to meat and veggies, and OH made 2 dinners of chilli, but they will get used up in the next few weeks – started to get the hang of the whole “freezer cooking” idea though
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Buy extra flour, sugar, butter etc Bought 1 bag flour and both brown and castor sugar. No specials on fruit or flour yet though so will only buy as needed until specials are out
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Buy extra provisions 10% off in grocery store at weekend, so started stocking up20% off special this weekend, so I might get a few of the more expensive luxuries and baking goods
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Organise box for food drive food Sorted – hidden under stairs. No need to do same for home supplies - no one yet really raids the pantry!!
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Get all supplies for handmade gifts Have all of these (some from years past that never got made up) – just need to concentrate on making up now
[] Buy batteries etc Have intentions of buying a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger – might manage to get it this week.
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Work on crafts at least 1 hour per day Managing about 45 minutes about 3/4 times a week at lunchbreak at work, and up to another hour at night about 4-5 times per week – but will need all that.Managed to get one scarf and a blanket finished this week, and another 2 scarves started, so only 1 scarf not yet started

Cleaning:
[] Give the hall, stairs and landing a quick swish (really kept fairly clean and no clutter spots at all
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Clear off 1 bed in guest bedroom Have a visitor coming this weekend so need somewhere for her to sleep
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Put summer clothes in guest room into closet/boxes
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Put toddler’s clothes that are too small into attic
[] Make a decision on what to do with toddler’s outgrown clothes
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Wash outside windows if weather allows
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Clean letterbox if weather allows
[] Clear out remainder of guest bedroom if time allows

The weather was nice and fine yesterday evening, so not only did I get the front door, front windows and mailbox washed, I had to wash DH's car as the toddler had been helping and decided to wash off a few patches of dust - which looked even worse than the overall levels of dust!! Then we went out the back, and she ate her dinner while I plaited up 3 more strings of onions (I prefer to do in bunches of 10 - a nice size for using in the kitchen and the rest are stored in the shed), and pulled out the pea vines from one bed as well. So I am very pleased with my evening's outdoor work.

Unfortunately, I may not get to clean the master bedroom over the weekend as I'd hoped, as I got a phonecall last night seeking my assistance when my uncle moves house tomorrow (I've helped him before).

Oh well, I managed to relook at my lists and do up a proper chores list - by putting one small job on it for 3 nights a week after work (leaving out class night and Friday nights), I have a whole week to devote to sewing in October, and should be done in plenty of time to enjoy the holidays!!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I still need to tackle the coat closet. Plan to work on it Saturday. After that I'm done. Yesterday I stayed home from work. Woke up with a swollen face (aching tooth -- went to see dentist). Anyways once I got some pain relief, I got a headstart on the masterbedroom. I also managed to get 6 loads of laundry done.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
aggy said:
Yea! I'ts nearly 8:00 in the morning here. :flower:

aggy, how are you feeling this a.m.? You got a lot done, considering the way you woke up yesterday!! Hope you feel a lot better. :grin:

:bigsnow:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Pam Spaur said:
aggy said:
Yea! I'ts nearly 8:00 in the morning here. :flower:

aggy, how are you feeling this a.m.? You got a lot done, considering the way you woke up yesterday!! Hope you feel a lot better. :grin:

:bigsnow:

Surprisingly well. Thanks for asking. I have a wisdom tooth that needs to come out. I thought I had all my wisdom teeth pulled years ago. Oh, well. Anyhoot, I'm back at work now catching up on the posts.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Sorry, I meant to make soup at my desk, but ended up going across town to get one thing, that turned into a "take a couple of hours and eat before you get back" chance. So I have bought my garlic bulbs for planting, my Christmas wrap (had none left and bought 6 rolls), DD(3)'s birthday present (day after Christmas) of a doll, craft stuff, bits for tonight's dinner (fajitas - yum!) and some extra socks for DD as she seems to have only a couple of pairs at the minute.

I also had a Eureka! moment about a work problem as I was eating (so well worth it!), and I think that if I can get a little writing done this afternoon, I will be happy leaving work for a change.

Mind your tooth Aggy, that sounds painful.

Luludou, yup - I am over in Ireland so anytime I want to talk to people Stateside, I have to wait until y'all wake up!! I am used to multiple timezones cos of work though!!

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
Good afternoon everyone!

Aggy, I hope this is the last wisdom teeth you have to have pulled. They are no fun at all.

Winged One, I hope your day goes as planned.

I didn't do anything today. And I'm about to leave for work. I came in last night (or this morning however you look at it) and the living room floor is spotless! Dh really worked on it, I couldn't believe it. He even moved the furniture. :thud:
Tomorrow I get to finish my door. I'll have to take it off the hinges to do it. As a bonus I wanted a new knob but it wasn't in the budget. I forgot we had already purchased one! Dh found it yesterday! One more thing to cross off the list.