HGP: week 3 Entry/Foyer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Welcome to week 3. I copies and pasted this directly from their sight. Here is the link to it:http://christmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-grand-plan/entry-foyer-week

Entry / Foyer Week
Holiday Grand Plan Week Three
Holiday Grand Plan by Katie Leckey
Holiday Grand Plan Printables by Cynthia Ewer

Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan: Entry/Foyer Week!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming home for holiday guests. Holiday prep chores focus on baking and kitchen as we plan our baked goodies and start stocking up for holiday meals. More printable forms help our Holiday Grand Plan notebooks grow.

Ready? Let's get organized with Entry/Foyer Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

Deep Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Entryway or Foyer
•Entry/Foyer
•Entry/Foyer cleaning checklist
Holiday Prep:
•Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
•Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
•Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
•Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.
•Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
•Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.
This week's printable forms from Organized Christmas include:

•Baking Planner
•Freezer Inventory
•New to freezer cooking? Check out this time-saving concept with tips and recipes at the OrganizedHome.Com Freezer Cooking Guide.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't have much of a entry way. Basically you walk into my front door and take 2 steps and you are on the steps upstairs. Other than seeing if I can find a new rug that's all I need there. We tend to use the side door but it goes through the laundry room. I can do some work in that area. It' needs a general clean up and wipe down of the walls.

As for the food prep I have don't have any space to have tubs of Holiday food only, we don't do that much cooking that time of year any way that I need to. We discussed holiday baking some here http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23479

I am doing breads and don't want to bake too early I am worried about it drying out or not freezing well just yet. I do want to make a few more trial batches to see which ones I end up doing.

So What are you plans for this week>

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I THINK I can tackle the entry way this week! This week I want to sort through the clutter on the hall table and clean out the drawers that each of us use. I'll also sort through the shoe bin and start to cycle out some of my summer shoes though I'm not ready to give up flip flops yet. I have the urge to paint...shoot me probably, but I think it could be an area that could be done in 3 or 4 evenings. I'll have to talk to DH about that. From storage I brought over a bench that I had in my apartment and I want to set up a back pack station for the boys...I'm forever tripping over those things so they need a forever home. I need to either paint or wash the back of the door and clean the floor good. If I get all that done I'll treat myself by putting out some fall decor on the the table! Have not started on the front porch or the living room weeks yet. Ugh. Is there a laundry room week? If so, I'll be ahead of the game there!

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Okay ... I think I'm ready for Week 3. I haven't finished Week 2, but I did the hard part (painting the living room), so I think I can combine the two this week.

Foyer + Upstairs Hallway + Hallway leading to garage + Hallway (very small space) leading to playroom
( ) Clean carpet
( ) Dejunk and reorganized closets
( ) Clean baseboards
( ) Clean doors
( ) Clean hardwood floors
( ) Paint small hallways
( ) Clean light fixtures and replace any lightbulbs
( ) Clean air vents

Holiday Prep:
( )Buy two canned food items from Menus

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
This will be my first week joining you all but I have been doing it on my own so I am not behind. I do not have an entry, my front door opens into my living room and my back door into a stairwell, so I will be focusing on the outside this week and putting my yard to bed for winter.

Clean and Organize:
[ ] tidy up the yard
[ ] organize the greenhouse
[ ] plan a dump run
[ ] focus clean around the doors
[ ] make a plan for the coat closet (don't have one)
[ ] place fall decor outside

Holiday Prep:
[ ] finish the card list
[ ] work on shopping lists
[ ] work on card design
[ ] bake on batch of holiday goodies
[ ] make some freezer meals

Buy:
extra baking supplies
non-perishables for menus
supplies for gifts to make

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
[] Sort through DD's books in Living room and her bedroom
[] Bring another load to storage unit (2 crates toys, Christmas decorations, and hopefully some books)
[] Take spare coats off hooks in hall
[] Sort coats in understairs cupboard (really dining room, but fits this week)
[] Do some extra in Living room

[] Update the presents list
[] Write the cards list, including a list of handmade cards to make (and for who)
[] Decide on location for the Holidays - know we'll be in MIL's for DD's birthday but where on Christmas Day itself? - Discussions are ongoing!!
[] Write a master crafting list, to ensure nothing gets forgotten and I have time for it all
[] Buy the Wii for DH (and family) present, before it goes up in price
[] Add a few more items into the food drives box
[] Check the battery stocks and add a few (I think I need AAA, AA and C sizes) – perhaps this year I’ll get a rechargeable set!

[] Sew DD's pillow cover (need some backing fabric for the pillow cover as not enough patterned fabric left)
[] Sew DD's Christmas PJs
[] Sew 3 crayon rolls (already cut out)
[] Sew 2 makeup brush rolls
[] Sew Dollie clothes (one or two outfits, depending on time)
[] Make 3 cards

[] Harvest vegetables from the plot, and continue getting it covered for winter

The hall, stairs and landing is not too bad. There are a few coats on hooks to sort out, but otherwise it is clean and neat. So I may get some time to go back into the living room.

I am not yet filling the freezer, as I am still working on clearing it out of all the bits and pieces of leftovers etc. Once that is done, I can defrost it, and then fill it again with batched dinners and have some space for cookies and Christmas goodies. I am using up a lot of stocks this week though, as we are eating almost entirely from the freezer.

I have started the box for food drives. My intention this year is to have a hamper all ready for a family, so that when the collections start, I will hand over an entire hamper ready done, rather than a few bits and pieces as I leave a supermarket.

So I hope to make better progress this week by not being so ambitious.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't really have an entryway/foyer area unless I count the laundry room which is where we enter the house the most. But DH just did that. So i'll use this week to play catch up. I've been awful at following this because I haven't been feeling well and we've been running here and there. So, this week it will be my focus.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I posted my list on my blog.

I am all over the house this week(as usual). I need to go back and finish one thing in the living room as well.

I finished a Christmas gift last night for my niece. Nice quick knitting project. Now I have another gift to finish this week (should not take more than an hour to finish).

My entry way is my dining room but I did get my coat closet cleaned out and a bunch of shoes put away that have taken up residence by the front door.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We just painted the foyer last week, so I'm ahead of the game. I still need to go through the coat closet and find a mat to put in front of the door.

For my DS' backpack, I put one of those 3M hooks on the back of the coat closet door at his height. He knows that when he comes in from school he has to take his lunchbag out and empty it, hang the backpack up and put his shoes in the basket. Above the hook I have an over the door shoe bag (lots of clear pockets) that we use for hats, small umbrellas, and mittens/scarves when it gets cold. I just cut it in half so that it wouldn't cover the "backpack hook". I can't tell you what a difference this has made!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Colleen - Cutting one of those clear shoe racks in half is very clever! I never thought of doing that! Unfortunately I don't have a coat closet - drives me crazy!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I emptied, washed the walls and windows of the front porch since that's my entry way. All plant pots were either emptied into the garden area or put with the pots out front to go into the garage when the first freeze threatens.

Dh will be on vacation next week. He will re-oil the wood on the porch so it will look nice for the holidays.

I still need to take a few pots into the garage to treat for bugs before I bring them into the house. One needs to be re-potted into a nice looking container. I cut my potted bay tree down this spring. I need to decide if I'm keeping it since it has some new sprouts or buy a new one next year. I'm leaning towards a new one.

I still need to stand at the front door looking into the house to see what a visitor sees first. That will be my next area to tackle.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Not much progress so far this week! As we don't really have an entryway or foyer, I chose this week to focus on our glassed in Sunroom off of our large family room.

I did spend some time out there with a shop vac doing serious damage to the cobwebs that had accumulated over months of the room being unused. (We've been occupied with the baby in another part of the house! ;) )

That alone makes things look so much better out there! But I have other things left on my list that are time consuming. Cleaning all those windows takes forever!!! And the little panes of glass in the French Doors - 4 of them all together - UGH! It is a pain! Little panes of glass covered with puppy nose prints, I might add! lol

But this week is crazy due to daycare snaffoos and getting prepped for our first camping trip of the year. BUT I am planning to take Friday off and while DS is at daycare as normal, I will finish last minute camping prep.

AND I hope to have enough time to complete my HGP tasks and maybe even do a batch of cookie dough for the freezer!

We'll see how it goes!

[X] Dust for cobwebs
[ ]Dust items on high shelves (will need step ladder)
[ ]Windex all windows, clean sill tracks, etc.
[ ]Windex both sides of entry doors (French door style)
[ ]Clean window panes of French Doors
[X]Dust all table tops
[X]Vacuum

Have added 2 items from my Master Grocery List to this week's shopping trip as well.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
This week in the foyer I need to clean out the foyer closet and wash the light fixture. I cleaned the front door and windows during the front porch week. I have been cleaning my wood blinds this week which is probably my all time least favorite housekeeping chore. I have finished the bedroom windows and now am starting downstairs. I have the family room, dining room, and 8 windows in the sunroom, laundry room and a room in the lower level. When I'm finished, I'll feel like I'm ready for anything!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Jackfrosty - the slideshow is great! TFS! I just wish I had room to do some of that stuff. We have a small entryway off our garage, but we don't enter the house that way!

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
I desperately need to do this. Technically we have no real entryway, just a front door that opens into the living room, but I keep a little table close to help with all the stuff that comes in with us. It needs to be cleaned up and I'd like to put some fall decorations on it.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I already started my little foyer a few weeks ago so I didn't have much to do. I did have to clear out and sort the summer shoes on the shoe rack by the garage. It's so sad putting them away. I usually keep a pair of sandals out for the warm autumn days. I also had to wipe down the baseboards and wash down part of the bottom wall.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I guess I could have worked in my laundry room b/c we always come through that door into the house. This was one of those weeks where not that much got done. WTG on those of you that did get some stuff marked off your to do list