HGP Week 8, October 20-26 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Kitchen Week
Week 8: October 20-26, 2013

By Cynthia Ewer, Author of Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Organized

Week Eight sees us down and dirty in the heart of the home: the kitchen. It's Kitchen Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we'll clear the decks for the holiday cooking to come with a kitchen clean-up and declutter. Routing out the year's dirt and disorder gives us a fresh, clean start for holiday cooking to come.

In holiday prep, it's Checkpoint Week and time to make plans for Halloween night.

Ready? Let's get organized with Kitchen Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:

Kitchen

Kitchen checklist

Holiday Prep
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.

Checkpoint Week! Evaluate Your Progress:

If unable to find an item for a person on list contact them or their family for ideas.
If a homemade gift is not going well, set it aside for after Christmas and decide on another gift.
Buy pumpkin for Halloween.
Review costume plans with children.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
For once I'm doing the same area as the plan!! will be working on kitchen cabinets this weekend.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
As I work in the kitchen, making a list of needed storage jars for staples. Most of my spices and baking supplies are already in glass hinge top locking jars - but some new items (such as hemp hearts, chia seeds etc...) need jars as they have become a staple.

Checkpoint week!! Evaluate!

My oldest son has requested two tv seasons of a show he likes and a game for his gifts - ordered! Now we just need to order his Christmas Eve pjs, and purchase stocking stuffers.

My middle son will be receiving a new wallet - with requested gift cards inside! Easy enough. :) Have been picking up one gift card at a time and putting them away. His Christmas Eve pjs are ordered, and stocking stuffers needed.

Youngest ((sigh)) - will be a cell phone. As he is turning 16 - and with it driving and later independent school tasks - he has been asking for three years! Christmas Eve pjs and stocking stuffers needed.

My nieces and nephews are done.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have already made some progress in kitchen, but need to make more this week. Once I recover from 2 very late nights, a LOT of driving, and a 2 day work trip. But I am sitting at the airport with my lists in my bag to do of the flight. And as DH is away himself this week, I have a couple of nights to catch up again. I may even get a couple of things wrapped, as I have his gift in my closet!!

Time is sure flying by now though.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Yes time is! November seems so much closer today lol
Planning the layout of our Halloween decor - keep looking at the forecast and hoping snow holds off. LOVE snow, but just a wee bit later will be grande.

My holiday baking supply list has shaped up nicely, and lists are finalized.

Hope you are able to wrap, best of luck Winged One on your very busy week!

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
I started on 1 kitchen cabinet.. got everything out...deep cleaned it and sorted out the food that can get back or needs to be thrown out because of the date...quite frankly...it took the whole afternoon. ...
But at least I can tick it off the list...

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Ok, the 2 trips back to back was not a great idea. But I'm home and in 1 piece.

I sorted 1 shelf of 1 cupboard, and realized we hardly had any stews last winter. So we'll use a few of those in the next few weeks. And a few nights of potato wedges with chops or sausages too. And I did throw out a couple of packets that were so far past their date that I didn't really think I could keep them.

I have to fix a bicycle puncture tonight, but then I hope to get another cupboard done after that. And I will certainly get 2 done tomorrow night, and some presents wrapped too.

And as the KK draw was done, I know who I have to buy for - and I have a plan for her too. (I just need to make sure DH is aware of which person he drew and see if he wants to buy for her or get me to do both - but I've drawn her 3 times in the 5 years previously we've been doing it, so it would be nice for her not to have me inflicted on her again).

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Hollybow - isn't that always the way! Takes so much longer than we anticipate.

Added a new honey to-do item, would like wood dividers in the drawers for utensils. Right now they just get tossed in and it looks so untidy.

Good idea with more stew. Holiday meal: chop three root veggies, and put together for stews. The stew meat is separate, I will just toss one of each in a crockpot - and season. On my list!