HGP week three 9/11 Entryway and Foryer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
My main entry way is non existant. You open the front door and there is my stairs in front of you. So I will clean that glass door. However we also have a side entry. That is the door my family uses when we come and go. It's into the laundry room then into the kitchen and that room can use some major decluttering so that entry will be my focus for the week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I plan on getting new curtains for the front door since I updated the living room ones. I have a wall to decorate by the door. I need to get out my collect of rolling pins and get them up with the hangers I found at the thrift store. Then see how many more hangers I need. I have not unpacked the rolling pins since we moved (6 years ago). DH wants to paint that wall so I guess I need to push him along on that job first.

DH found several little shelves at a garage sale yesterday. Those wooden kind with a little heart hole at the top. I have a little bench next to the door with the same heart on the sides. I need to paint them all black. I can start that now so it will all be ready once the wall is painted. Might have to get some tips from Pam on spray painting. lol

I still need to go pick up postal stamps for cards.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Week Three: Entryway and Foyer. I'll do some decluttering.... and some cleaning. I'm getting in the mood to do some Christmas prep, too!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My focus this week will be Christmas prep in nature as well. I have no foyer, the door just opens right into the living room. I usually use this week to do my laundry room, which is the back entryway. However, I don't have time to tackle THAT monster this week. Busy week, then football starts Saturday for my boys.

There are lots of weeks that I don't have the room featured, so once I'm not going to work everyday I can focus on the laundry room. It's just cluttered, but it's badly cluttered! LOL!

I'll study the "assignments", then be back to let you know what I'm going to do, prep wise.

Stay cool! 104 days!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I spent ANOTHER day on the porches - but did manage to put up some new pictures on my blog.

My entrances are still under renovations - once kitchen is finished, I am hoping to find the 'before' pics and put them up during kitchen week :)

My front foyer is small, and when finished will hold a table (or dresser?) for holiday decorating, and storage - or maybe a chair? Right now it is holding a lot of materials - as it shares doors with the enclosed porch under active renovation, and the livingroom - that is also under renovation!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
This week, I want to get a certain amount of housework done and concentrate a good amount of time on crafting. Please have the smelling salts ready for the list, but most of these are small jobs.

[x] Dust sitting room, hall table
[] Clean outside windows (weather dependent)
[] Clean inside windows at front of house
[x] Wash hall floor
[x] Sweep attic stairs
[x] Hoover carpet in stairs, landing
[] Finish sitting room paperwork
[x] Sort sitting room bookcase
[] Sweep chimney
[x] List needs for sitting room - matches, oils, candles, fire, batteries etc
[] Wash glasses in drinks cupboard

[] Make 1 batch jam from freezer fruits
[x] Freeze 1 batch french beans
[x] Make 1 extra freezer meal
[] Make 1 batch cookie dough
[] Go to plot - harvest, cover some beds for winter (weather dependent)

[] Get house insurance quotes
[] Make dentist appointments
[] Ring plumber once DH knows availability
[x] Extend storage unit contract
[] Check cards addresses
[] Organise box for charity collection
[x] Write master crafts list
[-] Write list of all outstanding crafts supplies needed - and get these
[x] Organise foraging supplies (collection baskets and sugar, jars, bottles, freezer bags etc)

[] Work on cross-stitch
[] Work on crafts for DD's room
[xx] Continue working on sewing projects
[x] Knit Gran blanket
[xx] Wrap gifts already purchased and store

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I worked on our entryway/foyer yesterday. I swept and mopped the floor, vacuumed the stairs and dusted/polished the clock (which we just received from DMIL - she's downsizing!), I also cleaned up some marks on the walls with my favorite tool - the Magic Eraser and replaced the door mat with a fall-themed one. I did not get to clean the windows around and above the front door...still on the To Do list! I also need to clean out the coat closet in this area - it's a disaster!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I don't have an entry/foyer either because my front door opens straight into the dining/living area. My back door opens into the kitchen...so I am going to give the living room another week as the focus.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I took one of the curtains from the living room to hang on the front door. Yep, think I need two more curtains. I will have to alter them to fit. I only think the curtain I have came in the 84 inch length. The curtain color matches the wall of the kitchen just fine.

Around the kitchen cabinets is a blue. Then the two side walls are chocolate brown. The living room is up half a floor from the kitchen and the two room are open to each other. The living room wall facing the kitchen is deep red.

When I moved into this house I told me dh there would be no white walls. The only white is in the closets. I lived my whole life with off white walls. Only way I'd go back to white is if I did a shabby chic white everything with strong accent colors that I could change with the seasons.

I took our colors from a shower curtain we picked up when we first moved in. The shower curtain is deep golden tones with little lines of turquoise and red. Almost the whole house is browns (different shades), red, and turquoise. Only room not coordinated is the bedroom which is a deep rose. No could believe I was going with such dark colors. Now all the design magazines show my colors. lol

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here it is... already Tuesday of Week Three! YIKES! The entryway/foyer is small, small, small! So.... I'm HOPING to get some "Christmassy" stuff worked on........

ONE THING that I could do.... is enter things from everybody's calendar onto MY calendar... so I won't be caught by surprise..... that is..... if I remember to look at the calendar......

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
My entry/foyer is very small too. Only thing needs working on is washing the rug, sweep and mop the floor, clean the full length mirror and clearing the shelf of in the coat closet.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Ahh... week three already!!

Ok, so I barely have a foyer. What I do have is a short hall, with nothing in it. So, it's pretty much mopping the floor and wiping down the door and walls. Oh, I should check the smoke alarm too. Since I'm combining HHP with HGP, I'll mainly be focusing on decluttering the master bedroom this week, and then I can give it a good cleaning next week for the HGP week four!

On to Christmas prep -

Holiday Goodies - This is the first time I've made cookies this far in advance, so I'm starting with easy sugar cookies. Mainly because I already have all the ingredients, and the recipe I use says it's freezable. I'm making those tomorrow (YAY!)

Buy two canned food items. I'll be adding those to the shopping list!

Boxes for storage. I have those already - ready for filling :)

Supplies for homemade crafts - I'm not making any gifts this year, but I will buy some basic wooden decorations for my toddlers to paint. I saw them earlier this week so I'll have to go back for them. I'm thinking I can start a new tradition with them, so they make a decoration each year and put their name and the year on it. After a few years we'll have enough to decorate a small tree, and they will be able to take them with them when they eventually move out. It's a basic start (they're only one and three years old), but we'll see how it goes :)

Buy batteries for the camera - added to the shopping list. They're on sale! YAY!

That's it from me everyone. Have a fantastic week!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is the weekend/end of Week Three! Setting a goal of "One Hour per Week For HGP Work".... that was pretty realistic..... so far.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
Hi, everyone! This weekend, DH woke up not feeling well (nasty cold...bleh!), so I took the opportunity to try out a cookie recipe on him (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chewy-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/detail.aspx) to cheer him up. Husband approved! :) I think I'll be adding that one to one of my recipe cards in my holiday recipe binder this afternoon.

Speaking of holiday baking, I found a printable checklist for holiday baking supplies that I thought might be useful to someone here: http://www.simplebites.net/a-z-holiday-baking-pantry-checklist/ Maybe you could put it in your holiday binder for recipe plans, or use it to inspire your own custom list?

This afternoon, I'm going to find all of my holiday cookie cutters, wash them, and put them in a sterilized storage tote. Before now, they've been kept in a shopping bag in the pantry (good grief). I have to wash them again every year before I use them...not very time-saving!

What is everyone working on this afternoon?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I got a jump start on HGP Bedroom wk this morning and this afternoon I'm meeting a friend to go to a Women's Expo! Lots of free samples, etc. The weather here has been very fallish - I'm loving it! Makes me want to bake!

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
My cookie cutters are washed and put away (woo hoo!) and I finished the recipe card for the peanut butter cookies and put it in my holiday recipes binder. Last night, I was looking through a holiday magazine I saved from last year, and I found a recipe for making sugar cookies using almond paste (I *love* almond paste!), so I'll try to find a time to try that out within the next two weeks. I have a traditional family sugar cookie recipe that I usually use, but I'm intrigued by the almond one.

I have a few foyer tasks I want to finish up this afternoon. I'm going to polish the sidelights next to our front door and give the stairs (which are off the foyer and visible as soon as one walks in) a good vaccuuming. We have a big, long-haired cat who loves to sleep on the stairs... :) I need to get outside and fill up my birdfeeders for the week, too.

This evening, I'll review the holiday baking list I linked to in an earlier post and use it as inspiration for my own. This week I'm going to go through the pantry, sort out some things that are expired or unwanted, and make sure I have the things I do want and need. Stores are already having sales on things that I usually use around the holidays, so I don't want to miss out if I don't have to.

Off to clean!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I didn't finish my list, but I did make good progress on it this week and I also got a lot of other things done too from weeks yet to come. I had been working on crafts in the study, and did a proper tidy up afterwards, sorted paperwork and a dresser in the family room, and got more of my summer clothes cleaned and put away.

I'll think about next week's list tomorrow as my notebook is under my desk at work (I never made it in on Friday, although my new phone meant I did actually get some work done from my sick bed). But I am doing OK so far.