HHP-Week 2-Calendar & Creative Spaces

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
HHP 2014-Week 2-Calendar & Creative Spaces

Welcome to our second week of HHP which focuses on schedules, calendars, planning and getting our creative spaces and gift wrapping centers decluttered, cleaned and organized. I hope everyone is ready for a great week ahead.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ok, this is going to be a week I just want to pretend that I didn't read. My craft area needs some organizing. It's a mess. This is really the only thing I want to focus on. If I don't, I know what will happen, I will just continue to ignore it.

I hope everyone else has a productive week.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Mary, you are not alone. I'm actually going to take some before and after pictures. Yes, it's that bad. I'm thinking a month instead of a week. LOL However, I am doing just as I read in the Sew Organized article on the recommended reading list and break everything down into stations.

Today's stations to organize are the essential oils that I use in soap making and household products as well as my sewing center.

Monday is the acrylic paints, patterns and books.

Tuesday is floral supplies.

Wednesday is as well the gift wrapping station.

Thursday is fiber arts (knit, crochet, thread crochet)

Friday is project organization and cleaning

Saturday is to make curtains for the windows & decorate.

I'll hang my head low and post the before pictures for each area.

I've already scheduled hair, manicure, dinners and such throughout the holidays.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
[ ] So, this week for me will be getting my craft room somewhat organized. I say somewhat as I still have stuff stored there for other people. But I will try to work around it and see what I can do.

[ ] organize wrapping paper ribbon tags etc.

That probably will be it as this is our fair week and I am working the fair every night.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Most of my craft areas are organized - I have been restocking supplies lately and making sure things are organized as I go.

I do have to go through my cardmaking supplies. I will be making Fall, Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas cards and need to make sure I have everything I need.

I make a lot of homemade gifts, so I need to get my Gifts to Make list started and make sure I have everything I need.

I will review my gift lists - I have a lot of ideas for DS, but nothing for DD. I hope she gives me some ideas soon.

I have started a seasonal calendar and will add to it as things come up.

Have a great week everyone.

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I actually got ahead of myself and ran to Wal Mart to pick up bins for my sewing drawers and also picked up nine 1/2" dowel rods and nine 2" café curtain hook sets. I installed them and got most of the rolls of wrapping paper put up. The gift wrap center is no where near finished but at least that was a start.

I did get all of my essential oils put neatly on a shelf that my FIL gave me that is just perfect for those tiny bottles.

The sewing center isn't totally complete but it is 95% done. I'm am going to have to make drawer dividers.

I'd say it's been a very full and successful start to week 2. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good job Ellen, I would love to see pictures and see how you organized the rods & dowels.

My craft room is as organized as it can be for now. DH said he will be painting that room this Fall so I will wait until that is done to reorganize.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I know craft areas and creative spaces can be scary ya'll. Just do your best! I'm okay in this area, but need to spend a bit of time putting new purchases away.

I have a wrapping area as well, but my hubby has some some stacked in front and it hasn't moved in months, so I'm going to push for this while I'm gone this weekend. It would be nice to leave and come back to less stuff surrounding me! But that's high hopes!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
In my house, Week 2 flows really well with Week 1. I have a lot of crossover when it comes to paper areas between my office and my craft room. I also have taxes deadlines for my parents. Joy. Want to get it done before the holidays speed up.

My To-dos for: Creativity Spaces, Storage and Supplies Week

• Finish from Week 1: Office Papers organized (a big big job)
• Schedule: wood stove cleaning, carpets, and family photo session.
• Make shopping list portable. - (Might hide it in Email Drafts as suggested)
• Inventory unfinished house projects and do sit down with DH by end of the week.
• Begin a "Gifts to Make" list with the kids
• Adding: Figure out a new photo management system. iCloud or other alternative?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I don't have a dedicated craft room but a large corner of my walk in pantry is dedicated to crafting activities. Wrapping paper has somehow found its way to other areas around the house so I need to round it all up and get it organised back where it belongs. I have to go through the left over bits and pieces from previous years and sort it and work out if I can use items for something different this year.
I also have to think of my wrapping themes this year and make a list.
I do a sort of colour code for each set of gifts. Santa presents for each person are wrapped in one paper. Not especially difficult as I only have my 9 year old and myself that get Santa presents. But everything that we give to others is also themed. Last year I used brown craft paper with a Christmas ribbon and handmade wooden gift tags. This year I am leaning towards very dark green paper with a tartan ribbon theme.
It is too early to buy the items here in Australia as it has not really hit the stores as yet- it is out in some of the more expensive stores but not the dollar style stores that I usually purchase from.
My son also does small gifts for classmates- this year it is fancy erasers- bought on sale last year for 50cents each. But these also have a wrapping theme so need to discuss this with him. Plus teacher gifts (wine for those that drink, chocolates for those that don't).

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hi, all. Sorry to be m.i.a. all week. It was just busy and time got away from me. I did get quite a bit accomplished and I'm trying to remind myself of that today.

I woke up to a couple of inches of water through half my house and rising. Officially the wettest day in AZ history. The flooding is namely the area where we have most of our office supplies/ paperwork/ records/ craft supplies / book and photo-memorabilia storage and a lot of my mom's things that needed sorted and stored. And, of course, most of it was located in neatly stacked boxes on the floor. I'm reeeeaalllly trying to have a good attitude today as I have been slogging through and figuring out what can be saved.

I think I'm going to view it as an opportunity to get rid of stuff I've been holding onto because I didn't feel I had the right to get rid of it- i.e. my mom's things- and stuff I keep saying I may need but, seriously, who needs this much clutter?! I'm also very, very thankful that I spent time the last two weeks going through all this ridiculous mess. It was truly outrageous before I started- the kind of outrageous that will NEVER have pics taken and posted. Trust me. I am so glad I chose to participate in this plan when I did and that I have such inspirational partners in all of this. And, rather than beat myself up for the boxes of stuff I didn't sort and file in something waterproof, I am so thankful I tossed back the starfish I was able to get to. I have popped on to read a few times, just didn't post, and all the work getting done would fire me up to tackle some more stuff. So, thank you.

Anyway, planwise my craft supply area is in pretty good shape and I bring whatever I'm working on into other parts of the house to work so that's all fine. I'm done with all the lists, budgets, etc from last week and this so I'll be spending the rest of the week completing the paperwork storage area. I'll also need to get to my storage outside when the water recedes- my shed is in a foot of standing water and it's still raining.

Keep up the good work!!! I'm so proud of you all!!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Thanks Ellen for starting us off this week. I know it's only week 2, but I feel that I might just be able to get something done every week and actually finish the plan. Maybe not get everything checked off, but something!

My creative space is an Ikea desk and 16 cubby bookshelf that sits on our large landing at the top of the steps. I'm sure it was made for a sitting area, but this is what we use it for. So, it's visible to anyone walking by. There is no door. Sometimes I wish there was a door to hid the clutter.

My craft area is for scrap booking. I still do the old fashioned paper and decorative punch, so there's paper, equipment, tape, color pencils, scissors, etc. Right now all that is pretty good. I still need to organize many photos into sections for the three kids. Don't laugh, but I still have to do middle daughter's "birth to one year old" book. Ummm, she's a senior in HS and I need to get this done before graduation. I know that I've organized some before, so hopefully it won't be as big a job as I think. Getting organized to scrap is my only goal for this week, then I'll work on it a little at a time.

I need to go through my wrapping paper and ribbon. It's in two containers in the attic. I just bring those down to the kitchen table to wrap gifts.

Everyone is doing a wonderful job. Hang in there. I can't wait to read about your progress.

Kringle- sorry to read about the flooding. Hang in there.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
nursemomto3, go to your local hardware store and purchase plastic shutters along with a set of small hinges and put you some doors on this shelving unit. It's easy and resolves the eyesore of crafting. LOL

Kringle, I know all too well what you are going through. Just a month ago I was in the same situation with flooding on the whole back half of my house and all of the possessions of my deceased mother in law. You are so right in that I think it's God's way of forcing us to move forward and let go. I was almost like grieving all over again but today I'm so thankful I did it.

Tanya, you are doing great with everything so far. The planning is the hardest part.

Cindylou, way to go! Looks like you have a great plan mapped out for a successful week.

Lucie, I hung the dowels just like curtain rods up the wall. I'll try to get pictures posted this evening of my progress so far.

I'm so inspired by all of you. Thank you!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Tanya -- Love the eraser idea for DS's friends and love that you wrap in themes. Have to think about that. Santa wraps in red tissue paper but the rest is regular paper. One of these years I will have to switch it up. Something to ponder.

Kringle - O M G. A flood? Yes, that is absolutely something to make things HAPPEN. So sorry for anything precious you may have lost. And I agree. I need less "stuff" too.

Ejagno - Great idea on the shutters. I have problems in my craft area too, but mostly because some days I want to convert it into a ski gear storage space. :) So hard to make rooms multipurpose.

I downloaded the new Cynthia Ewer book onto my Kindle last night. Only read the first chapter as it was late and I was SOOOO sleepy. However, I will say that while there was nothing hugely new in the few pages I read (well, not if you have read her other book as many times as I have) but I will say that I had an honest to God lightning bolt moment when I read that chapter. I too will be changing some things about my morning routines and will incorporate PAPER into them. Had never thought of it in quite that way before. i don't even "think" about my morning routine now - its so automatic. Paper processing is now going to be part of that. Have to think where I'm going to cram it in so that it happens daily (and not just weekly).

I think the "Idiots Guide" name is a series she must have written for -- not just a name she dreamed up. There's an Idiots Guide to just about everything.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kringle - sorry about the flooding, but it does make you purge.

I'm not really following the plan but I do try to make some 'extra' each week (not just plain maintenance).

Cindylouwho... I'd like to know more about the morning paper routine... interesting

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Sounds like everyone is keeping busy.

Yesterday I "killed" my office. I don't know what overcame me but it is clean. I did some re-arranging and I got rid of all the excess clutter. Kiddo is tired of building Legos so I swiped the folding table and made it into my sewing area. I made my desk into paperwork central... lots of pretty stationery, pens, pencils and had room for my laptop. SWEET!!

I put up my ironing board and laid out my MUST DO projects. Now there is no question what I need to work on first. Sunday I cut out the rest of the pieces for the scarves that I am making. I am officially ready to start sewing like a crazy lady.

Last week I made my shopping list for gifts/crafts and finalized what everyone is getting this year. I guess in this area I was ahead of schedule.

I plan to post pictures of my crafting space later this week on my blog. I have been so busy cleaning that I almost forgot that I was blogging my progress. :)

Last edited:

SallyJ

Premiere Member
Jul 28, 2012
My craft room and office are the same room, so I'm still digging my way out of here. Although I have been super busy with the first few weeks of school and sports, I have managed to get quite a bit done. There may be light at the end of the tunnel.

I've been going through paperwork, photos, craft supplies, books, and videos. My office has 1-1/2 walls of floor to ceiling book shelves. I'm making progress on those. I also have my bins of winter clothes and clothes that don't fit stacked in here. I'm getting rid of those by Friday. I've also tackled hundreds of emails! They've either been deleted or moved to their appropriate folder.

I'm so glad I'm following HHP this year!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I keep trying to post in here and everytime, I get sidetracked. LOL

I had my calendar done back in June or July. That's how anxious I was ready for summer to be over. So far I have Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve noted as I'm playing host those days. I also have a couple of birthdays, my vacation days, the HHP countdown, and wrapping parties noted.

My desk area that I cleaned last week is also my designated creative space so that's already done.

Since it's quiet here at the office I will take some time and write up what craft projects I want to do and add the supplies to my master shopping list.

I really want to do some Christmas shopping this weekend. Hopefully I can. Does anyone know when the stores will start their holiday layaways?

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Midweek Progress Report:

Gifts to Make list is complete. I discovered I am missing one item that I will need, so it is now on the shopping list.

Cardmaking supplies are orgainzed and ready to go. I even stocked up on some extra stamps.

I have a couple more things to do, but am pleased with how the week is going.