Holiday Goodies??

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
AJ, your post has given me an idea!! I make breadcrumbs from the ends of loaves of bread, especially nice bread, and freeze those. I usually try to have some plain crumbs in the freezer to throw into things as I need them (any old freezer bag).

I also, when I have time, try to make a large batch of stuffing (ordinary herb stuffing), so that I can have that to just stuff a chicken or some mushrooms in a hurry and fast dinners are thrown in the oven. I try to use a ziploc for this, as I am getting some from the bag a few times before it's empty.

But I never thought to freeze the mushrooms ready stuffed - so I could do the more tailored stuffing (some cheese, extra butter etc) and put it into the mushrooms, all ready in a foil tray to just bake in the oven.

Thanks!!
Wings

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Made the spaghetti sauce over the weekend to start feeding the freezer too.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Added a few more things to the freezer:

- 5 small ziplocks of ground sirloin, 1 lb portions
- 1 small pan Green Chile Chicken Casserole

Browned about 5 lbs worth of ground sirloin as well and what doesn't get used for tonight's dinner will get put in ziplocks and frozen too!

Looking ahead to this weekend, I am going to try and get a batch of cookie dough tucked away on Saturday morning. Need to pick up a couple ingredients 1st though!

And still have to do those apples! I'm taking Friday afternoon off and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get quite a few used up if I have all my canning supplies, etc. ready and waiting.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I dont make things ahead of time and freeze and I have no room in either freezer. Something I will be doing sometime in Nov or very beginning of Dec with the kids is to go through all the cookies recipes we will be using for this Christmas and measure out all the dry ingredients for each recipe and place them in marked freezer bags. The bags will be marked with the cookie type and if it is a single or double batch. This way when we are ready to make cookies all we have to do is add the wet ingredients, mix and bake.

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
I have never frozen cooke dough before. I think I would like to try it. I do however feed my freezer. I make chicken recipes over two days and freeze, turkey on another day and freeze, soups and chilis on another. We can then eat from Nov 11 Veteran's Day through Christmas from the freezer. That doesn't count Christmas or Thanksgiving Day. I just have to remember to get item out of the freezer.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Whew! Apples, apples, apples!

I put up 21 half pints and 4 pints of applesauce Friday afternoon. About half plain and half cinnamon applesauce. Yum!

I still have 2 large bowls filled with apples though - gotta figure out what to do with them!

Also got a second batch of stuffed mushrooms in the freezer.

And a batch of Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Ricotta & Parmesan

Goal tonight is to do a small round of Breakfast Burritos for the freezer. Crossing my fingers that I'll have the energy to get that done.

DS was up all night - I think with an ear infection! :( Taking him to dr today...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've sprinkled sliced apples with cinnamon and sugar to freeze for apple pie before. Turned out ok. You sure have been busy with those apples.

I'd like to get some stuffed mushrooms in the freezer but I end up eating them before they even get cold. lol