HOLIDAY Notebook Challenge - Week 1! Gifts & Budget

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Let's get started with the Holiday Notebook Challenge! :)

For the next bit, we're going look at various different sections of our notebook and see what we can do to spruce those sections up. Keep in mind that you are not bound by my sections or chapters and your notebook may be different. Just apply what you can and tweak it to suit your needs, because I am sure that your notebook is only efficient if it suits you!

And this are only a very generic guide made to suit the masses and my (limited!) ideas. Be sure to post your own layout or ideas.

Our first chapter to tackle is "Budgets and Gift-giving". For me, this is one section, but this may be 2 sections in your notebook - 'Gifts' and 'Budget'.

Some ideas that you could work on for your 'Gift' section:

I like having a page (in my case, a computer document) just for ideas. No idea is too kooky to jot down. This biggest thing is to just stay alert- it's amazing what gift suggestions you can collect from every day conversations. I can't tell you the number of times I've mentally filed it and then added it to my notebook when someone said "I saw the most amazing thing today...". ;) Did you overhear your brother-in-law discussing his new skidoo? Add people's hobbies and interests to your list so if you're in a store and see a new gizmo, you can add it to your ideas list. Did Katie get that new ipod for Christmas? Strike it from the list. Add related items that might be good for future gifts - for example add "music gift card" or a ipod carrying case. Those might be good gifts down the road. Keep your mind open to non-traditional gifts too. For example - is your sister planning a trip this summer? Maybe a donation toward her trip, a gift certificate for her hotel, or a great beach bag filled with books and beach gear would be fun to do for her birthday.

Growing Kids? Tastes change? Update size/colour preferences all year long. Not only will it help you at Christmas, you'll be ready to roll for Birthdays, Graduations and other events this year because you can refer to ideas list.

Some applicable forms you may want to print and add:

Master Gift List: http://organizedchristmas.com/printable ... -gift-list

Gift Ideas planner: http://organizedchristmas.com/printable ... as-planner

List of Gifts to Make: http://organizedchristmas.com/printable ... ke-planner

Gift Closet Inventory: http://organizedchristmas.com/printable ... -inventory

Budget:

Take a look at your budget for last year, and a look at your expenses/bills while they are still fresh in your mind. Did you allot enough last year or were you short? Start now to make a budget for the 2008 season, and figure out how much you'll save for that purpose. When will you save for Christmas - a "lump" payment? a little every month? Do you have a savings account for this purpose? Figure out how much you need to save each week to have a comfortable budget.

Some budget areas to consider:

Gifts
Charity/Giving
Christmas Tree (lights, ornaments etc)
Christmas Tree Festival
Wrap
Food/Drink/Groceries/Baking
Postage/ Shipping Supplies
Haircuts/Styling/Toiletries
Clothes, Shoes & Accessories (tights etc)
Tipping (hairdresser)
Babysitters
Christmas Cards/Stationary
Family Fun/Nights Out
House Maintainance (Carpet/Chimney cleaning)
Holiday decor (wreaths, candles, exterior/interior lights, timers etc)
Holiday Travel (gas, flights, hotels, hostess gifts, snacks/food etc)
Crafts
Camera/ Video Supplies (film, memory cards, storage cd's etc)
Parking costs for shopping

Family Budget Forms: http://organizedchristmas.com/holiday-budget

Let's hear from you in this Gift/Budget section! How does yours look? Can you think of any budget areas that you save for that are not included in the list? What does your gift section look like? Be sure to post and share your layout and other ideas.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wow, I just added some homemade forms to my gift section and they correspond with your ideas. Good for me! I have to finish counting the budget for last year... but basically uptil now it looks good!

As I have posted once before I keep a mini brag book (photo album) in my car and place my receipts in each photo section labeled with a family members name. You can get them for a dollar at WalMart or most dollar stores. It is the perfect size and has it's own "pockets" to hold the receipts and anything else you can write on an index card like gift ideas to keep you on track. This makes it much easier to keep track of everything and to record it all when checking on the new years budget!!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
christmascreations said:
As I have posted once before I keep a mini brag book (photo album) in my car and place my receipts in each photo section labeled with a family members name. You can get them for a dollar at WalMart or most dollar stores. It is the perfect size and has it's own "pockets" to hold the receipts and anything else you can write on an index card like gift ideas to keep you on track. This makes it much easier to keep track of everything and to record it all when checking on the new years budget!!!

I love this idea. I just picket up a couple of these the other day now I need to get some index cards or post-its or something for the pockets. Anymore ideas for these little photo albums?

girlsinmo said:
I love this idea. I just picket up a couple of these the other day now I need to get some index cards or post-its or something for the pockets. Anymore ideas for these little photo albums?

Yes!!!

I am in the process of making "dinner menu" index cards that list the ingredients for my common dinner meals...and some of the new ones we are adopting!!! When the main ingredients are on sale each week I will slip the cards in the brag book and off I will go.

I am also making frozen food cooking charts for the freezer foods I buy. I tend to take the items out of the boxes so I have more room in my little freezer, so instead of saving all the cut out directions I will put them in one brag book once I get ink to print them out on the computer!!!

The possibilities are endless!!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I really need to do some work in the "Gifts" section of my notebook. I want to get as many ideas down as I can think of. Not only for Christmas but for birthdays as well.

There are some areas in the budget section that I need to review as well.

Glad that we are doing this!!

"heartstrings: Melanie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
christmascreations said:
girlsinmo said:

Yes!!!

I am in the process of making "dinner menu" index cards that list the ingredients for my common dinner meals...and some of the new ones we are adopting!!! When the main ingredients are on sale each week I will slip the cards in the brag book and off I will go.

I am also making frozen food cooking charts for the freezer foods I buy. I tend to take the items out of the boxes so I have more room in my little freezer, so instead of saving all the cut out directions I will put them in one brag book once I get ink to print them out on the computer!!!

The possibilities are endless!!!

Thank you I might do this, could put stickers or stamp the pages(when I get some stamps)on my index cards kinda jazz it up. Love all the ideas here.

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
I'm on board for this too. I went through and tweaked the page I had set up. Originally I had all the holidays listed on the gift ideas pages but decided to leave only the Christmas and Stocking stuffer ideas. The rest are in my home notebook. Didn't really get a chance to use it last year because I started out so late so I'm really looking forward to it for this year. I've got to work on my budget too. Didn't really too badly, I don't think. But...can always do better!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I'm thinking That I may do a budgeting sub-section for each section in my notebook and then have a 'budget' section to consolidate all these sub sections in one place. This is something I've never really written down (it's not the'fun' part) so I have to make myself do it!
In looking through my tear files I've found several things I can make this year! Thanks for the early start zchristy!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Love the little brag book idea...I usually carry a little spiral notebook but sometimes get frustrated cause the pages get dirty or torn...the little brag book could protect my lists...Thanks!!!

Gingerbug said:
Love the little brag book idea...I usually carry a little spiral notebook but sometimes get frustrated cause the pages get dirty or torn...the little brag book could protect my lists...Thanks!!!

Always glad to share my ideas with everyone here!!!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I love the Brag Book idea, too!
Does anyone else have any uses for these little books?

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
If I can just get my homemade gifts done, I'll be a happy camper. Budgeting for the holidays is easy now, it's just getting away from being a 'last minute' shopper. This list is helpful. Thanks again.

odd_duck71

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
the funny farm
dreamto said:
I love the Brag Book idea, too!
Does anyone else have any uses for these little books?
Similar to the menu cards, but I use one to protect recipes -- I have several appetizer recipes I've ripped out of magazines that I use anytime the group has a finger food party -- with them in the brag book, I don't worry about them getting messed up while I cook.

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
I know you're already into the 4th week challenge, but I've had family issues that put me behind. Now I'm at a point of "hurry up and wait", so I thought I'd try to catch up. So here's my questions - am I jotting down gift ideas, nothing set in stone, just possibilities and also for stocking stuffers? Things I may want to make or buy in case I see them on sale?