Houseworks Holiday Plan: Week One Aug. 31st

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Well, I ended up spending much of the night in the ER with my aunt, so I am NOT getting anything done today! :frown:

Back to school tomorrow and a crazy week it will be so I am trying to make my goals realistic:

Do the HHP reading
Start cleaning out the file holder I bought
Start setting up the filing system I bought
Get some of the mail and paperwork that is piled and waiting to be sorted into the file holder.
Keep up with my basic daily routines

If I can do all this while stating school, it will be a good week.

HollyClaus

Retire Member
Dec 28, 2007
I stopped by on a whim, and learned that HHP started yesterday! Lucky me, to show up just in the nick of time. so, I printed off the 2009 calendar (although I am wondering why it says 2009, since it's still 2008, right?).

I've been highly motivated lately, so I've done a ton of decluttering & cleaning even before the plan starts, which means that hopefully I will be able to keep up with the plan. I've already decluttered DD12 & DS8's rooms, the "spare room" which is also my craft center & office (it looked like one of those rooms from "Clean House" when I started), the master bathroom, the kid's linen closet, the family room, & the laundry room. DH cleaned the garage last week, to surprise me -- it worked. One of the final projects was the purging of my files (manuals from DVD players that died in the last decade) and redoing my filing system & filing about 6 months worth of paperwork in piles. Planning & paperwork week sounds like just what I need to get that job completed.

Unbelievable that it is 115 days to Christmas. :bigsnow:

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I'm pooped!!
I sorted thru alot of paperwork and magazines today and HALF has been organized. It is so time consuming because I have a ton of magazines and many of them I only bought for one or two patterns so I tear those out and add them to the sheet protectors in my pattern notebook. I donate the rest of the magazines to the kindergarten class here in town for arts and crafts projects.
Tomorrow, more organizing and clearing thru paperwork is ahead of me... {yawn}

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008
Okay

I'll try to keep up
do have a planner but going to work on a mobile one
need to do master gift lists and budget

am going to tackle my dest tonight

will post an update later

:package:

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Well, I'm here, finally, and am getting started on my list:

() Print HHP worksheets/forms
() Update Holiday Planner with new forms
() Sort thru files
() Complete Values Worksheet with family
() Start working on typing up various recipes from 50 yo cookbook that has seen its day--Christmas gift for Mom
() Check holiday gift wrapping area set up
() Have DD start on design ideas for the holiday card
() Set up mini HHP in portable planner
() Start master gift list

One nice thing is that, after much thought, and family angst and serious hurt feelings this past summer for my daughter and I, we have decided that we will NOT be spending Christmas Eve with my SILs family, as had been the pattern since the kids were young. The cousins are just NOT getting along most of the time and since all I ask is that my DD be polite to everyone, and isn't getting that in return at all, what's the point? Now that DD is over the Santa thing, there just doesn't seem to be a reason to go--its not DH's or my idea of Christmas Eve, and DD was relieved to have a reason not to have to participate in an activity she really doesn't want to do. As a family, we've discussed that some relationships can be toxic, even if they involve extended family, and we no longer choose to be part of that on CHristmas. We'll spend Christmas Eve day and early evening with my BFF from childhood; our kids and hubbies all get along well, and see my immediate family Christmas Eve Night, and attend services. Christmas Day, we will head to DHs family, spend the nite in their town and the next day head up to one of our favorite family resorts for a few days. We can't completely avoid seeing them, but we are putting distance between us. The family values worksheet helped give us the courage to say, "why, exactly, are we putting ourselves thru this?" I was really concerned that my Mom would be upset, but she was great about it...she even encouraged us to go to Disney World!

So, hopefully, I'll make it thru the HHP this year, and my family will enjoy the holidays much more than we have in a long time!

Here's good thoughts to us all!

Berta

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Hello there, can I join in please?

I am a Christmas nut (I started knitting presents in March - to keep me from going nuts at my Masters dissertation!!) and I was sooo happy to find this site.

I am somewhat disorganised in terms of the house (a lot of things were let slide the past couple of years while I did my Masters, and worked fulltime, and looked after the toddler too, although DH DID help with that part), so a proper organised cleaning plan is what I need this year.

I don't have a Christmas notebook, although I have printed off the various pages from the HHP. And I have already updated my excel spreadsheet master presents list (I have a seperate page for each year, going back to 2001 - well, I have 35 or so people to buy for so need to keep track of them all or my brother would get a car washing hamper every year!!). And, as I was knitting to distract myself instead of eating at brain breaks, I decided that my 8 aunts and uncles are getting knitted scarves each this year (all slightly different but same basic gift - they all open their presents together in my grandparents house so it will be a nice themed pressie for them all).

This week, I have a couple of retirement "do's" at work, and there is a school being finished right next to us (so cleaning outdoors ain't such a good plan), so I am working on the paperwork mainly and will aim to get a lot of the living room cleaned over the weekend. My list is:
Budget - finalise
Finish planning master present list (still have a few to get ideas on)
Make cards list and check all addresses (ring both mum's)
Arrange for FIL to buy a small fake tree for the holiday house (we are travelling for holidays near both our families)
Download and print all photos from my phone and email (I have 2 years worth and the album looks bare)
Order labels for my knits
Check that tickets for Santa steam train are ordered (and dates allocated)
Start working on Living Room list - mainly concentrating on decluttering magazines shelf

Started well so far, as I have now gotten all photos in one place at least and sorted the budget. I started my Lion's club box as well (our local food drive) as there were great "back to school" specials in the stores.

Last night, apart from photos, I had to bake a batch of cookies for the toddler, as one of her favourite minders in the creche is leaving today (to get married and go to a new creche as the ownership changes while she's away). There are 2 more leaving next week (so 2 more nights of baking) and I think the toddler herself will be leaving at the end of next week too.

I look forward to keeping on track this year with you all, and having lots of fun at the same time.

Winged One

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Berta:
We were in the same situation years ago. The kids were small and Christmas day was a stressful struggle of going from home to home to meet "obligations". Mom and Dad are divorced and I'd rather spend the time with my Dad but Mom made such a stink, I had to go there first and it was full of stress as she put my Dad down and whined about my siblings. ARGH!!
Finally, I put my foot down. I let family know that we were a family too, and our family could not enjoy Christmas by running house to house just to make THEM happy. If they really want to see us, they know where we live. Later, we began going to my grandparents' house for Christmas Eve and other family began dropping over the day after Christmas.
Now Christmas is a magical time for us. No stress. No fighting.

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Yesterday (Labor Day) was a good day for me to kickstart as I had hubby here to give me a hand.

I've got our homeschool papers organized (I'm using a milk-crate file system for each week) and thus have tamed our biggest paper tiger

I'm working on filling out the values worksheet and I've certainly made the promise in my heart to dedicate a little patch of time each week to making this holiday a magical one ::eek:rnament:

I need to ...
... start a Master Gift List
... brainstorm a bit on creative space for preparing for the holidays (I have a little North Pole South corner of my bedroom for working on paperwork, crafts, etc. that I use each Rudy day but I need a place for storage of gifts - the kids have discovered my gift closet, eek! - and wrapping paper, etc.)
... pound out a budget (cheap, frugal, and yet with lots of WOW)

LOVE reading everyone's lists - inspiring!

:package:

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
I cracked open the HHP planner/Christmas notebook on Sunday - here's what my list looks like:

( ) Clean and reorganize computer desk - did some sorting last week, so this might not be too bad.

( ) Clean out files.

( ) Do filing.

( ) Balance household budget, and pay bills.

(x) Make the promise.

(x) Set up a Christmas notebook.

( ) Focus family values - did this with DH, and his thoughts were quite enlightening. Need to chat with DS11 & 10 to get their take on things as well.

(x) Create a Christmas planning center - I'm fairly mobile on this one. As long as I have the notebook and access to the laptop, I can work almost anywhere in the house. I do like to light a yummy Christmas candle to get me in a Christmas-y frame of mind.

(x) Establish a holiday budget - have probably forgotten a few things, but the preliminary budget is done.

(x) Consider a Christmas savings plan - DH will receive a bonus in November for teaching at an A school, and that money is earmarked for Christmas.

(x) Begin a Master Gift List.

(Note that most of the fun Christmas stuff is done, and the household maintenance chores are not!)

snowball

Retire Member
Aug 3, 2008
Michigan
I'm focusing on the kitchen this week. It's been neglected all summer and it deserves attention twice this fall. The office is DH's job to keep clean and he does a pretty good job, except the dusting; which I do. During the weekend I hope to work on my Christmas center room aka. spare bedroom.

Today:
(x)Laundry (DH's and mine)
(x)stove top
()refrigerator (day before garbage day)
(x)values sheet
(x)kids bathroom (after tonights bath)

wangie

MHH Member
Aug 24, 2008
I'm so excited to start and more motivated then ever! I've done, er attempted to do the HGP a couple of tlmes in the past, fall off the wagon and feverishly try to finish up with the CC. With my son starting school, I am determined to make the time and follow the HHP and have it's help to guide me every step of the way. Here's to a wonderful home and holiday season!

( ) Clean and reorganize computer desk-in progress

( ) Clean out files.

( ) Do filing.

( ) Balance household budget, and pay bills. -in progress

(x) Make the promise.

( ) Focus family values -in progress

( ) Create a Christmas planning center

( ) Establish a holiday budget - in progress

( ) Consider a Christmas savings plan

( ) Begin a Master Gift List.

I am so excited to do the HHP, the HGP overwhelmed me....I must conquor the clutter first!!

goldenqueenalicia

Retire Member
Jul 16, 2008
I cleaned up my desk area last night, it looks so much nicer, still have lots more to do but at least I now have a space to work from. Will update again

:grin:

ciderjo

Retire Member
Sep 1, 2008
I finally got started yesterday afternoon. It took all day pretty much to get the house in some sort of order, we have had a busy 2 weeks around here what with youngest Ds's relapse and the follow up appointments. We were pretty much in shock so the house fell a bit by the wayside. It felt good to get the house in order yesterday, a bit of comfort for me I guess.
The closet in the office is now decluttered, not the cleanest in the world, but I can vacuum it out better when the large Christmas tree in the corner comes out in December. That is usually when I get the vacuum in there and really do a number on it.
I've got a large red sofa slipcover that is going to goodwill (has been in storage for 2 years, and dh doesn't want to struggle with it ever again), also some batting for pillows, spirograph the kids don't play with, a huge exercise ball that I haven't used since October and a chenille bedspread that belonged to my grandma. I'm planning on making something out of the bedspread, just need to find some ideas. It isn't in good enough shape to use on a bed.

Ok I've bored you all enough. Today:

*DVD's and X-Box games put away in in correct cases.
*Small travel desk cleared out and put in boys room for side table/desk storage.
*Clear desk top/printer and organize.
*Maybe: Files.

Afternoon activities:
* Work on notebooks some more
* printables printed for notebook
*Fill in gift ideas for boys
* Possibly update addresses

snowball

Retire Member
Aug 3, 2008
Michigan
It looks like there's a lot of hard workers here getting some stuff done! Way to go!

I didn't get to the refrigerator yesterday, but I did it first thing this morning. That thing looks great! I was still able to put stuff in the trash before pick up.
It looks like I'll be volunteering in my DD's classroom 3 days a week from 1 - 3:20; which isn't too bad.

Wednesday:
(x)refrigerator
(x)laundry (kids)
(x)vacuum living room
(x)organize kids snacks in pantry

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
You all are a very good influence - I got quite a bit done yesterday!

(x) Clean and reorganize computer desk - did some sorting last week, so this might not be too bad.
( ) Clean out files.
(x) Do filing.
(x) Balance household budget, and pay bills.
(x) Make the promise.
( ) Focus family values - did this with DH, and his thoughts were quite enlightening. Need to chat with DS11 & 10 to get their take on things as well.
(x) Create a Christmas planning center - I'm fairly mobile on this one. As long as I have the notebook and access to the laptop, I can work almost anywhere in the house. I do like to light a yummy Christmas candle to get me in a Christmas-y frame of mind.
(x) Establish a holiday budget - have probably forgotten a few things, but the preliminary budget is done.
(x) Consider a Christmas savings plan - DH will receive a bonus in November for teaching at an A school, and that money is earmarked for Christmas.
(x) Begin a Master Gift List.
(Note that most of the fun Christmas stuff is done, and the household maintenance chores are not!)[/quote]

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is great to read your post, CEO -- and to hear that you slipped in a two-day stop at a spa! What a fabulous idea! And what a great place to do some Christmas planning and dreaming!

It is great that the HHP begins with planning! And - with decluttering our "office area". How perfect! How needed! :package:

flodnak

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hi - I'm just quietly working along here. I had the day off work and although I got off to a rather, ahem, lazy start, I've straightened up the household files and the drawers that hold the family office supplies. I did the reading earlier this week, and I have a Christmas notebook from previous years that I just need to finish bringing up to date this evening.

happydogs

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
I have gotten my home desk clean and tidy plus have done my reading and begun my Christmas card list update in a database. Need to finish my filing set-up and get everything filed. Notebook is set-up---with some additions from grand plan that I have done in past.

SpanishRanch

MHH Member
Sep 3, 2008
SF Bay Area, California
Hi, the Housework Holiday Plan really appeals to me this year! I have been working diligently and so far I am on track. I did the reading and I have completed everything on the holiday prep checklist, except for starting a master gift list. However, the Houseworks checklist is another story. The big challenge there is decluttering my home office. On the desktop are a few different types of paperwork that I've just never known how to handle. So these orphan papers would tend to sit around for a long time -- either until I used them or until I finally decided they weren't needed anymore and I could toss them. This week I really focused on the problem and I came up with a solution that I believe will work for me. Yesterday I started putting it into practice and today I continued. My desktop should be done tomorrow. After that, I will update my Christmas card list (because that will clear one small stack from my desktop) and then I will wrap up the week by putting together this year's master gift list. Whew!

ciderjo

Retire Member
Sep 1, 2008
Well, yesterday I took youngest Ds to his doctors appointment. Got back around noon. I did manage to go through file drawers here in our office, which was actually easier than I thought. I really need to work on the desk, set up a filing system for the desktop. Right now we have a flat tray where EVERYTHING that needs to be dealt with goes into. It is a mess. Now the bills, they go in a separate area, so they aren't a problem. I was planning to work on cleaning and decluttering, but with my ds's recent relapse (Leukemia) I think I will mainly declutter. I do plan on cleaning the living room/dining and of course the kitchen and utility. But the rest of the rooms mainly need a good declutter, which I can do. :flower:
So today:
*Desk top
*decide on filing system for desktop
*Misc. declutter (perimeter of the room)

*Print more printables
*More reading on topics
*Update address book
*Get notebook filled out