How About "Christmas Magic" For You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Do you sprinkle magic into your own life? Where you "receive" rather than "give"? There is one small mall that is decorated beautifully at Christmas. They have someone playing a grand piano in the late afternoons/early evenings , only at Christmastime. . The shops are really much too expensive for me. (Which is probably why they can afford the beautiful, miles-of-Christmas-greens-and-tiny=white=lights decorations!)

I go there and walk around. I buy an expensive hot chocolate and get my parking ticket stamped. I sit near the grand piano and listen to the beautiful Christmas music. Depending on my husbands' work schedule, sometimes he goes also. It is lovely.

There is another, larger mall that my husband really enjoys at Christmastime. I go with him because he likes to shop there - and see those decorations. I get tired long before he does, and my shopping is done by then, so I stake out a table in the food court and drink coffee and read a newspaper. When he is finished shopping, we have lunch. It is nice. He enjoys it more than I do - but I enjoy it plenty!!!

Are you giving yourself some magic this Christmas?
:skate:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think this is just wonderful!

I do have to make my own Christmas Magic, no one else I know enjoys it as much as I do. They just see it as stressful. Of course if they'd work on it for 15 minutes once in a while before the week before they would so enjoy it.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Would they really,Ahorsesoul, or is it a state of mind? A bit of both, probably!
This is a really good point, SparkleNana! I love how you focus on the doing instead of the getting, too! I'm not sure what mine would be, as I've never put any focus on this before,but you know the big fluffy snowfalls? Maybe a walk in the woods or even a snowmobile ride with My hubby. Or with the kids singing goofy Christmas carols!
Although come to think of it the way we get our tree is a Christmas treat for me as we have a sleigh ride and cider!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I love when we hire a sleigh with horses and the whole family goes aboard. We sing Christmas carols (and bring a little something to drink because it's so cold) and it lasts about 1 hour.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We've been doing this for the last 5 or 6 years. It's so much fun!!! Sometimes it's nice out with a little snow, one year it was freezing (but we had fur blankets to keep us warm)... when I ask the kid what they like most they say the sleigh ride!! We couldn't have the sleigh last year and it was a real let down. This year we're reserving early!!! About 30 people can fit on the sleigh (not everybody wants to come, some prefer playing cards) so the year before last we invited some neighbors to join us for the ride too.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
At the place where I boarded my horse there was an 8 year old boy who's grandparents paid for a Christmas Day sleigh ride. A group of us came out for it to sing and provide hot apple cider. I'm sure this was a memory that was well worth the price they paid for this special ride. It turned out to be the perfect day for a ride. Cold with a little snow flying around.

All of us thought this was so special. What nice grandparents to find a place that would do this on Christmas. We didn't mind because we knew this would make a lasting memory for their grandchild.

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
I create my special christmastime.. sitting on the sofa..listening to my favorite christmas tunes and of course.. a lot of candles..the christmastree lit.. hot cup of tea and a plate full of cookies....and just enjoy doing nothing..
Of course I enjoy being outside to shop and see the decorations.. but if you really pick up an afternoon for yourself and doing extra christmassy things.. it really puts you into the spirit..

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Mine is shopping by myself. Although I like a big all out girls day out shopping trip as much as the next chick, I really, really love going to the mall by myself during Christmas. It's best when all the "real" shopping is done and I can just look and enjoy the hustle and bustle without the pressure of finding the "perfect gift" because I did that in October! It's great to stumble upon a great little "extra" stocking stuffer, bargain find or even a little goodie for myself that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. I know that no matter how hard they try, my family is NOT going to get me exactly what I want-how could they, when I want so much and change my mind every 5 minutes? So, it's nice to do a little impulse buying for myself without the guilt!! I also like to sit at the tables outside the fancy gourmet coffee place, sip a pumpkin spice latte and watch the craziness, knowing I'm there because I want to be, not because I have to be!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
hollybow said:
I create my special christmastime.. sitting on the sofa..listening to my favorite christmas tunes and of course.. a lot of candles..the christmastree lit.. hot cup of tea and a plate full of cookies....and just enjoy doing nothing..
Of course I enjoy being outside to shop and see the decorations.. but if you really pick up an afternoon for yourself and doing extra christmassy things.. it really puts you into the spirit..

Hollybow that's exactly what I do as well! :grin: My daughter's school closes early on the day that Christmas break starts so the last full school day I take it easy. I know for the next two weeks I'll be kept busy ;-) I also try to arrange at least two shopping trips with my sisters. One in early December and one just before Christmas. At that stage my shopping is usually done so we meet up in town for hot chocolate and just to soak up the atmosphere really.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I like to curl up on the couch and watch the twinkle of the lights on the tree. I like to listen to Christmas music when I do this. Sometimes I find myself waking up the next morning still on the couch. LOL

Some evenings when I'm driving home from the stores or work, I'll take the long way home and drive through different neighborhoods to look at the Christmas displays on peoples front yards while listening to the radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 during the holidays.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
sparklenana, i'd love to know where the mall is that you were talking about. I would sure love to go there. I wish we had something like that here. Our mall just puts up all those tacky looking things that really don't look like Christmas at all. They look like something from a cartoon(or a nightmare). We used to live in Ct, and the mall there was really nice. The local hospital where we used to live also had a Christmas tree raffle and people decorated the trees and donated them. The money goes to a local charity. I could spend lots of time there. They have at least 50 trees . I've seen quite a few very beautiful trees there. If I visit family at that time of year, we always stop in to see them.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Just reading each of these posts gave me that warm feeling inside and that grin of "knowing" what each of you speak of.

For me, I do some of the very same things already listed.

After a long day from work I take a different way home and go through neighborhoods and enjoy the Christmas lights on display.
I love to come home, turn on my Christmas tree, turn off my lights, grab a cup of cocoa, turn on my Christmas music and sit on my couch while watching my white lights twinkle. I've loved that since I was a child. Just staring at the tree in the dark. It is such a peaceful and rejuvenating time for me.
I love sitting in my living room and watching the snow gently fall.
I enjoy sitting by the fireplace and listening to it crackle while watching a favorite Christmas movie.

There are many things that I do just for myself. It's such an amazing time of the year and there is always something about it that I can find to enjoy.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Speaking of the mall and shopping during the holidays, I have this question. I've always been a shop ahead kind of girl. For the most part, the majority of my shopping is done early. I don't wait till the last minute, but I always wonder..."what it would be like to be one of those people"..the ones who don't think about it all year long. Start in July..wait till the last minute and just buy spure of the moment when they see that "oh so perfect" gift. I put alot of thought and TIME into finding gifts online or making them and sometimes I wonder if it's too much time. Depends on the reaction I get when they do open it I guess. Once in awhile I'll have to go in December and do a bit of shopping and I think to myself..."oh, this isn't that bad"..what's all the hustle and bustle about. Anyone ever think like this or been that type of person before? I feel like I should pull up the therapy couch and see what you all have to say about this and ANALYZE my thoughts... :confused:

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I just couldn't be that last minute person. Trying to find the perfect gift or any gift at all!?@? To me it just doesn't happen...you always think it's greener on the other side. Too many people I know wait last minute and I see the stress. You may think they are finding the perfect last minute gifts, but they really aren't. They need gifts, and they 'make' the gifts the perfect ones out of necessity. Those Christmas Eve shoppers have no choice. Sure some people love the last minute hussle and bussle and it works for them....all I am saying is it is not for me. :bigsnow:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cipala - I'm with you. I think we all should do what "works" for us -- and it may change from year to year!!! ONe year, I was working full time, graduate school full time, three teenagers -- I could not do anything for Christmas until my last final exam was over on December 19th! I just did "triage". What mattered most were presents for the kids and Christmas dinner - oh, and the tree!). Those things all got done. Plus a lot more things (like a week long visit from my husbands' parents.) But it was very clear what was most important to do!

I just ENJOY taking longer for Christmas (like all year longer!) :grouphug: Christmas is so HUGE - there is magic no matter what you do.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I loved reading how everyone enjoys the Christmas spirit.

I sometimes find it hard being the only one in my family who really gets into Christmas. I always wanted one of those families that gathered together to watch the old classic Christmas films. Now I've made peace with the fact I'm usually watching them alone with my hot cocoa, but my dog will usually join me. Same with those walks in the snow. I couldn't convince my husband to go for a walk in the snow if his life depended on it, but my little dog will follow me anywhere I want to go - with enthusiasm. I made her a red sweater with white trim, so that's kind of Christmasy. lol, hey you take the company you can get.

On the 'would they enjoy it more if they were more prepared' issue, I have a friend who really stresses about the holidays. I told her I would make her a notebook to help her plan and she said it would just stress her out more if she had to think about Christmas outside of December.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know...I have such a negative feeling about the MALL at Christmas. Maybe I'll just go one day, spend the day with my daughter and take in the "Magic" a little. Go with the flow and have no expectations. Then it could just be an added bonus and fun day! Laugh at all the other crazies who don't have their shopping done, while we sit and sip hot chocolate... Yeah..that's it!! :grin:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm one who like to have everything especially gift shopping completed before the end of November. That way in December I can relax and enjoy the holiday. However I still find myself picking up a few things as Christmas draws closer but I'm not stressed. I just take it nice and easy. Because the stores open earlier in December, I get out as early as possible while many people are still at home doing whatever. Traffic is very light, parking is not problem at all and the lines are short at the checkout. I'm on my way home by the time people begin to venture out. Oh and it's good to take your list with you to help keep you focus on what your shopping for.

Magnolia

MHH Member
Nov 27, 2007
Watching it snow in the streetlights after dark, singing carols with the radio on my way to work, EGG NOG! There's so much about the season that I enjoy just for myself.

My MIL and DD and I go every year to a mall near our house that makes it "snow" from the roof at 7PM every night. We get ourselves a cup of hot chocolate and just sit and enjoy all the activity and beautiful decorations. It's a magical time!

Shirl