How are you doing?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
It is officially three more weeks til Thanksgiving here in the US!!!

:friendly: How are everyone's plans going along?

Since not everyone in my family will be together this year I am postponing the turducken til next year or for Christmas. My uncle gets a turkey every year from his company so that turkey is taken care of. I have not found a grocery chain here who sells Empire kosher products so I might not get my BBQ turkey this year!!! To order it online and have it delivered to me it would cost me over $90 for a 10-14 pound turkey so that is out of the question.....lol Not sure if there will be a ham or an italian dish also yet until I call one my Uncles to see if his family are coming for Thanksgiving or not.

Some of the store sales have started for the non perishables and I am excited!!! This is stock up time and if my dad and I buy the freezer on sale at Big Lots I will have a more extreme stock up plan :grin:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm about ready. Have to check the Natural Food store today for some gluten free pie crusts. I have to wait on buying the turkey since I have a fully stocked freezer right now.

With out this site and OC I would not even be thinking about Thanksgiving yet. I love you guys!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Wow! You are on top of things! I've got a tentative menu, but that's about it! I'm depending on the countdown to get me ready. I need to get a nonperishable list made and start picking things up. I'm still trying to recover from Halloween, and I've had a busy morning! I'm pooped! :turkey:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm still working out the menu details. This year I will again host Thanksgiving dinner, giving my mom a well deserved break. So far my mom and step-dad have agreed to make the sweet potato pies. One of my DF's will make a cake shaped like a turkey (can't wait to see how she does this). I've asked my cousin to make me some banna pudding. My DF's husband has agreed to do the candied yams (his are very good). I will do the crab stuffing, turkey and spiral ham. I hope to get out this weekend and pick up a few non-perishable items. I need to check the grocery flyers to see what's on sale.

holidaykristen

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
:friendly:

I am soooo excited for Thanksgiving!!! I can't wait to be watching the Macy's Parade with a roaring fire going while we finish last minute preparations!

I have some lists made...still need to make some more! I am such a list fiend! :D I have bought some pretty autumn paper goods to use for apps and dessert. I bought a beautiful new dark sage green tablecloth. My dining room is painted in a rich, dark red and I have cream colored dinnerware with a light sage accent so this will look so pretty! I haven't started buying food yet, other than non-perishables. I will start doing that little by little.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
There will just be four of us this year, and none of us likes dark meat, so I will probably just do a turkey breast. This will be my first year as a diabetic, and how I miss mashed potatoes! Now I need to find the recipe I wrote down a couple of years ago for a brown and wild rice dish that includes diced squash. I'll probably have a tossed salad, green beans, baked sweet potatoes, and my grandmother's cranberry gelatin salad. I found a great dessert recipe a few years ago, which I also have to find, that was a hollowed-out pumpkin baked with chopped apples, raisins, cranberries, brown sugar (I can substitute sugar-free maple syrup) and nuts inside. It was wonderful served over French vanilla ice cream (no sugar added, of course!). Yum! I may get excited about Thanksgiving, after all! :pilgrim:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Oh, ChristmasRose, if you find that recipe I'd love to have it. That sounds yummy! I have several small pumpkins from my garden that I could use. Will you share, please???? Thanks!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I'll share if I can find it! It's in a little spiral-bound notebook somewhere. We've recently remodeled our kitchen, and everything got dumped into boxes and taken upstairs. I think I saw it on TV originally, so I'm going through all those tapes I made that I forgot to label! We'll see!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I have tentative plans, but I am still waiting to finalize them. DF has been out of town and I have not a a chance to finalize our plans. I hope to tomorrow. I am working on getting the menu ready for the brunch. Welcome any ideas :grin:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Not sure what we are doing- My MIL broke her foot and is in a boot so not sure if she will (correction if FIL) wants us there due to too much on MIL. My side of the family have not heard from if doing anything or where. If we go somewhere we will take desserts if we stay home just the three of us so anything we do will be simple. I gave up trying to make plans in advance causing undo stress- However, what ever we do there will be yummy food!! I will talk to husband so we can make a list of things to get for any of the situations.
:turkey:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Most of the guests have confirmed. Still waiting to hear from my dad and his wife.
Bought the stuff for the pies last month and the other day we picked up the turkey and the stuff needed to make pepperoni bread.

I'll wait until the week of Tg to get the rest of the stuff I need.

over the weekend I steam cleaned the carpets. This weekend I am hoping to mop and wax the floors and get the linens ready.

skynyrdfan

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Illinois
I plan (as always, LOL) to head downstate to DMom's house. She usually orders the "Thanksgiving in a Box" from Krogers, and it's actually pretty good. I add a few sides, Mom bakes the pies, and we stuff ourselves silly! There will be 6 of us max so that's not a bad way to go.

It's going well!

Guests are confirmed.
Non-perishables have been purchased.
Fresh, natural Turkey has been ordered from meat store.
Cleaned the dining room and got my nice dishes and silverware out.

Just need wine and fresh items!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cathymac, I found the baked pumpkin dessert recipe!!! It's in Holiday Cooking with the candy, cookies, and desserts. I would just adjust the size of the pumpkin and amount of ingredients to the number of dinner guests. Hope you like it.