How do I start scrapbooking?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

itsanewme

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
watching Off Kilter
signed up for a class next Sunday - they should have all the tools
What should I bring? and where should I shop?

thought id give it a try - need something to fill some time
will be held up for 4-6wks after bunion surgery and i'll be "early retiring" shortly after that

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Good for you, itsanewme! :jumpinghearts:

Is the class for beginners? A friend of mine attended one a while back and they really started at the beginning - talked about different types of albums, photo storage, basic materials and supplies, etc. - and she didn't buy or bring anything to the class other than a few pictures. After they talked about all the "stuff" she decided on an what she wanted to do and invest her money in. She also only brought the pictures pertaining to 1 event and did a layout for just that at the class.

If the class is in a store, they have all the paper and glue you need.

Don't be overwhelmed by all that is out there! There is SO much, that, unless you are REALLY into scrapbooking, you probably won't use for awhile - at least until you get comfortable with the basics.

Good luck! :leprechaun:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
My one bit of advice is not to over buy! I got so excited about all the beautiful things when i started that now I'm buried under paper, stickers, embellishments etc! Now I'm trying to use what I have but really don't now what that is!LOL!I would determine what your first project will be and buy what you need for that project.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Good for YOU, itsanewme!! Bravo for planning ahead and considering taking up such a worthwhile hobby/craft!
I agree with momof4-- after your class, you'll have a much better idea of what you'll want to spend your money on. I suggest you call the instructor ahead of time and ask if they'll be covering the basics and what you should bring.
I'm by no means an expert. I LOVE the scrapbooking stores, and LOVE the home party classes taught by folks who sell supplies for a company, but you can also find great, scrapbook-safe items at low costs from places like WalMart. Your teacher can tell you what things to watch for.
Jackfrosty, lol :-D ! I bet almost every scrapbooker (or crafter of any type!!) can relate to your dilemma! Too much of a good thing. . .!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree about not over buying! The store where you signed up for the class can tell you what you will need for their class. Most stores have supplies you can use while there. Other scrapbookers are usually willing to let you try their tools too.

Supplies you need: photos, album, a scissors, a pen for journaling and adhesive. End of the NEEDS list. And you don't need a pen is you decide to do computer journaling. Well, I guess you really don't need photos since you can scrap pages without them too. lol

Now the "I want list" could go on forever. You'll want everything you see if you find you like scrapbooking.

Most scrapbookers you talk to will tell you to go easy at the beginning with buying. I have given away over half of the "I want" things I have purchased. I found most of it I used only a few times and then set it aside. Find out you style of scrapbooking before buying lots of tools.

There are a ton of rules in scrapbooking. Listen to them and then decide what you think is important to follow. There really is no wrong or right way to scrapbook. My best advice is 1. Make a copy of an original photo that can't be replaced if you are going to crop it (cut it) and 2. Document who's in the photo 3. Don't permanently glue anything down because you might find you want to move or change it. Your scrapbooks can be archivally safe or very altered, it's up to you.

Go easy on the paper. You can easily end up with several feet of paper stacks. Organize from the beginning before you have so much that you need a room (or two) to keep it all in.

Good Luck with your surgery and your scrapbooking! We'd love to see your first page.