How Many People Do You Shop For?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Do you draw names?

Do you shop for the kids only?

Do you buy a gift for every person you have ever known?

Just curious. :D

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I buy gifts for my parents, the kids, and DH. My siblings and I used to exchange gifts, but now we just buy for the kids, and I only have 2 nephews.
Soo......I guess that puts 8 on my list, plus there are always a few extra gifts to pick up for friends, neighbours, and people who have helped us during the year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We buy for around 35 people including DH and myself. We buy "big" for our children, DSIL and DDIL, and DGSs. We buy for my mom. My sisters (2) and I buy something small for each other. I've always done a "house gift" for Dnieces, Dnephew and their spouses...usually something homemade from the kitchen or some necessary item like socks, t-shirts, pjs if I didn't have time to do food gifts. For the young great nieces and nephews, I always give underwear and socks, along with some inexpensive toy, because they always seem to need them. We give older great-nieces and nephews some type of GC for food - like Sonic or Chickfila. I buy for my SisILs (3) on DH's side of the family. DH's side of the family doesn't exchange gifts. We tried exchanging names several years ago with my sisters and their kids, and it was a total disaster. Many of them didn't buy for the person whose name they got, so those people got nothing and had bought for the person whose name they got, so we gave up on that. Now, DH and I just buy for whom we want to because we want to - the real reason we did it in the first place; not expecting anything in return. I hate when people feel they have to reciprocate a gift. Do you?

We did teacher gifts when the kids were in school, but those days are over...

We have a few neighbors we do food gifts for.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I really only buy for a few.- we have no immediate family.
So I buy for DS and Myself- we do giant Santa Sacks for each of us.
I buy for my house cleaner and her son- her son is a teen so he wants gift cards.
I buy for my hairdresser- but she is more a friend- she been doing my hair since I was 16. I went to school with her daughter.
I buy for my best friend.

Luke's swim coaches and teachers- his class teacher and main coach get really good French Champagne- others get cheaper Champagne. I figure of they don't drink it themselves then over the Christmas period they will go somewhere that they need to take wine- that's all teachers that have anything to do with Luke- Library, RFF (Specials), Head Master, Deputy Head, Sports Teacher, School Secretary etc.

I do have an Uncle and a Cousin on my Mums side- if we are seeing them I get them wine but no special gift.
I usually have a few generic gifts of wine and chocolate floating around in case I need them- f not they get eaten/ drank here anyway.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I buy for the kids (+ boyfriend, girlfriend), dh, ME (from dh :) ), my parents, mil (she gets $$ as she has no interests in anything), nephews 8, nièces 5, and we have an exchange between brothers & sisters. It is quite enough. Tried cutting down on the brother-sister exchange but nobody agrees. Oh and since I give to only one of the siblings.. I usually but a small something for the others anyways... but that is just me. I also give some handmade ornaments to about 10-12 friends.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We buy for each other and our kids. The only time we really buy for anyone else in our families is if we are going to actually see them. Since we don't live anywhere near family this is rare. Last time we did though, we did handmade signs for the grandparents that DH made and I painted.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
5 in the immediate family with multiple gifts -- Buying big.
2 in extended family with multiple gifts (One big item plus other smaller items)
1 in extended family with a good gift if I see something meaningful. Not every year. So not a regular.
Teachers now get candy or cookies from the kids now that they are older and have 6 teachers each.
Friends no longer need gifts so much -- we have all agreed that getting together is gift enough.
Then there's holiday tips for the hired help - particularly for my father.

So that's 7 regulars plus other assorted smaller or cash gifts.
Oh - and the pets! They get toys and bones! :)

Forgot some. We also give to the following::
*Toys for Tots
*Salvation Army
*Our local Women's Shelter
*Operation Shoebox for the soldiers overseas

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yep I forgot- Merlin and Kelso get stockings each. I think the gold fish left left out last year so they are getting a tank decoration this year- 99cents from ebay.
And this year I will buy for the staff at school. Im thinking that I will custom order coffee cups- each cup in a different colour- with "I survived 2016 at xxxxxxxxx School' I may even fill each cup with chocolates. I can have them done and printed in about a week or so.

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
In my husbands family we only buy for the kids until they get married..however, my first nephew just got married and I think I'm still going to buy them a gift...because they are newlyweds and an awesome nephew and I can't see myself just saying...sorry..no more gifts. Doesn't feel right to me...that's the kind of Auntie I am. ;) So on his side I just buy for my mother in law and we currently have about 5 little ones..and 4 teens. The little ones of great nieces I rarely see and nephews I rarely see, but I do get them something and try to stay under $10.00.
As far as my side, my family is small, so I have 3 clothes friends I buy for, in addition to our kids and grand kids.
I do make something homemade usually for "neighbor or church" friend gifts. This year it will be homemade jam I made.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We don't exchange names for adults, but buy for the kids who are no longer in school, in J's family. We have niece 15, nephew 14, nephew 11, and niece 6 and one on the way. I have the only kids in my family. I buy something small for my brother, we buy for both sets of parents, our goddaughter, M's godparents, and of course J, M and H.

I do an exchange with the girls at work too.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
my kids and DH.
My parents
Sometimes DH will get something for his brothers. He usually put it off and then doesn't end up with anything
My Brother and his family of SIL and 4 kids
From there i try to do food gifts for CW, neighbors, teachers...
We quit doing any exchanging w/ the cousins and my grandparents but I try to do something homemade like a dish rag or cards for them.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
We used to draw names, but for some reason that stopped. I think it's because I'd still buy gifts for everyone. Other than my neighbor and her son, the gifts I give are to family and very, very close friends who I consider family.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
DH and I buy for each other and we buy for our kids.

Our parents and their spouses get a mix of bought gifts and homemade gifts.

We buys gifts for several nieces and nephews.

We have several aunts/uncles/cousins/friends that get tins of homemade cookies/holiday breads and/or jams/applebutter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I buy for DH, DS, DD both gifts and Santa sacks. I buy for my mum and my brother, once again gifts and sacks.
My workplace does a secret Santa. I do a food hamper for DH father.
DSIL and my family go out for dinner and we pay as she does our taxes.
DH as a new girlfriend this year so we will do her a little stocking for her here.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We buy for our friends in Iowa, their son and DIL, granddaughter, their daughter and finance. We buy for my mom, great aunt, sister and her partner, another sister, 2 nephews and their wives, 3 great nieces, 2 great nephews, 2 nieces, 1 nephew, our CEO all employees give money, I buy for a coworker in another branch, buy for the 3 co-workers in my branch, give the part timers I work with regularly alittle something, and then there is Allen, our 2 kids, a son in law and of course our granddaughter.

Then I do a few swaps with homemade items.

We do something for a charity or 2 also.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
We don't buy for many:
Each other
4 children (all in their 20's) they get a gift card and a present to open
My Mom (she will be 87) we get her 4 $25 gift cards to stores that she shops in and I send her a box of things she likes and likes to use...been doing that for more than several years. She loves her Christmas Box!
This year we have a new granddaughter and my DIL has a step son that we give to.
My great-nephew and 2 great-nieces also.
Stocking stuffers for each other and my daughter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW, I am amazed by some of these lists.
Lana, how do you keep track of who you are buying for? Do you have a budget?

I have a very small family and sometimes I find that a little daunting when it comes to buying gifts plus item for their stockings, so I use my planner constantly.
I would need a much bigger planner if I was to buy for the people that you do!!! LOL

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I also give to the girls at the beauty shop. There was 3 but now 2. I don't leave them tips during the year so I do Christmas gifts for them.

I kinda have a budget for others but not really with my son, daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter. Just till I think enough. LOL!

I see several buy for several.

Aggy, I am like that. My sisters (1 older and 1 younger) do not buy for us but I still give to them. My older sister quit giving to my kids several years back but I still give to her 2 boys and their spouse. She has 5 grandkids. (the great nieces and nephews are there) I like to give alittle something to all.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
My list is small. I have my 3 sons and their wives. My 8 grandchildren, my 2 sisters. my women's group has a gift exchange and I have a close friend that I give something to.
When DH was still alive I would make something for all the families in the church. Usually cookies or bread etc from the Pastor and wife. I don't do that anymore since I am no longer a Pastor's wife. Miss that!!!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I 'shop' for my three sons and husband.

I send money to my 2 nieces and 4 nephews (no gifts to our adult siblings, just a card)

I make gifts for a few friends (tea last year, black garlic and/or vanilla this year).

I give cards with homemade cookies, loaf, baked goods to aunts we visit over the holidays. (they do not bake for themselves)

My workplace does a gift exchange - but the items are usually 'gags' or stuff you wouldn't want. (I keep trying to get this changed but no luck so far.)