HP- Week 21

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Welcome to a new week and month of The Happiness Project!

Navigating through the you tube videos for the correct week's video has become challenging.

I've decided for this month we are going to follow straight from the book.

In June, the subject matter is: Make Time for Friends.
Corresponding reading pages: 141-164

I think summer is the perfect time for this because hopefully our schedules are a little lighter, the weather is a little lighter and it's just a good month to have some fun.

* Contemporary scientists to ancient philosophers agree that having strong social bonds is probably the most meaningful contributor to happiness.

* Quote from Epicurous: "Of all things that wisdom provides for living one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the posession of friendship."

* Studies show that if you have five or more friends with whom to discuss important matters, you're far more like to describe yourself as "very happy."

This week I would like for us to focus on 2 areas:

1. Take some time and evaluate your friendships. Do you make time for your friends? Do you cultivate the relationships? Is there a treasured friend you have lost touch with? Make a committment that this will be the month that you reconnect with them!

2. Remembering birthdays. pgs 143-145.
Do you have a system set up to remember birthdays? Even a quick email lets that person know that you're thinking of them and acknowlidging their special day.

Discuss your thoughts/journey this week here in this thread.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have a definite problem with making time for friendships. I have a friend here that I consider my best friend but we aren't together much and we haven't talked much recently. With DH gone it's hard to plan anything because the kids always have to tag along. We've been to their house several times and we always have a good time but the invites are few and far between. She is about as good at nurturing friendships as I am. LOL We're both just so busy and it's hard to carve that time out.

I have a friend from childhood that I occassionally talk to, but not often. It's more like a catch up every few months or so.

I'm awful about birthdays. Thank goodness Facebook tells me when people on my friends list have a birthday. Even family birthdays we are awful about unless it's my parents and brother. DH's family we know a round about date but not exact for most.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a select group of people I'd call friends in my real life (and lots at MHH!). And my bf from high school is coming to visit in two weeks. So I have that covered.

Birthdays. I use to send all my family and friends Birthday and Holiday cards. When I was living in Germany I finally realised that I received very few cards. Going by the theory that we do the things that are important to us I decided they weren't interested in getting cards. Have saved a bundle of money now.

Now I do send out messages on my blog, FB and by email. I have an Important Dates Calendar that I keep hanging next to my computer so I'll remember.

Sometimes for friends or family who are recovering from an illness/surgery I'll mail cards for several weeks to cheer them up. One of the nicest things my aunt said to me was she really enjoyed how thoughtful I was to send her cards for 6 weeks after she'd had a major surgery. She said it really helped her recover knowing she was being thought about.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ahoursesoul-
It really does mean a lot to those recovering from surgery or an illness to receive cards. I got a lot when I was recovering from my surgery and it became a highlight of my day to go get the mail! Saved them all too!

For me- All my family- we acknowledge b-days. Those of us that live in town we get together every birthday for cake and ice-cream.

My friends b-days- like you all said- fb helps a lot. We celebrate our birthdays in the office. Since Carol and I are close friends outside of work, we do more for each other- send flowers or a gift and take each other out to lunch. I have a couple other CWs that we exchange gifts for b-days.

I have a very close core group of childhood friends and I think I'm pretty good with my friendships (though I do owe a call to my friend Kristin).
Sometimes though I wish I was a little more excited for get togethers-most of the time I'd rather just be at home with a good book or movie.

Jessica- I could imagine that it would be hard to have friendships when you're so busy with small children. Maybe you and your bf could set up a "standing date" like 3rd Sat of each month- that's when we'll get together for a glass of wine.

Or like SN's 1st Weds- whine and wine night. I love that idea!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Birthdays (family) ain,t so bad to remember - so I call but friend's birthdays... lucky we have FB!
I am not really good at sending cards but I'm getting there with MHH!
I consider some of you here my very good friends and I do make the time for you. With the kids now grown up we have more time on our hands and I think it is starting to show... we are starting to see our friends a bit more.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I fell off the band wagon last month, ready to get back on.

I have really struggled w/ meeting new friends here. I get along w/ the neighbors but we don't go out. my one friend I consider my best friend here is the one I used tow ork w/ at night. It worked great b/c we had days. It's a lot harder w/ me working nights and everyone is days. My friend from college is near but it's an 45 min drive there to her place and she has a hard time getting out w/o the kids she always brings one and I would like to be out w/ kids. Another mom I can see us being good friends we can't seem to make our time work either. I think come summer it will be better. I know she would really like to do more w/ me as well. It's w/ her and her DS (that is frined w/ my DS12) have passes to the amusement park so I think we are trying to go there some. She had back surgery and has been having a hard time. B/c her DH travels out of town alot sometimes that leads to us having a hard time as well.
Birthdays I am good w/ immediate family and the rest seem to only get a note on FB. I used to send cards and want to get better, at least w/ some of them. With my BFF from earlier post/work we do always plan to go out to eat on each other's birthdays.