HP- Week 24

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Welcome to week 24 of the Happiness Project.
This month we are working on: Making Time for Friends.
So far we have worked on: Remembering Birthdays, Being Generous, Showing Up, and now we will add: Don't Gossip. Corresponding reading pages: 155-156.

Gretchen says: Long-term happiness requires you to give up something that brings happiness in the short term. A good example of this is Gossip.

She does say that gossip plays an important social role because it reinforces community values- we often gossip about someone violating social and moral codes.

Even though it has its part in our worlds, it's not a very nice thing to do. Gretchen noticed that even while she enjoyed gossiping with her friends it made her feel unhappy in the end.

So, she vowed to stop gossiping. She took this one step further and decided to stop listening to gossip.

When she gave up gossip, she realized how much she had been gossiping.

She then noticed that she felt she had a free pass to gossip to her husband and tried to curb that as well.

Fascinating thing she learned: a phenomenon called "spontaneious trait transference. This means that people unintentionally transfer to me the traits I ascribe to other people.

For ex: If I tell Jean that Pat is arrogant, unconsciously Jean associates arrogance with me.

This week's challenge: Don't Gossip.

Thought for the week: What I say about other people sticks to me. Do well to say only good things.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
lol! that'll be a hard one for me! :) But I do have to work on that one.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
My old school is filled with gossip. It's unbelievable. It's hurtful too. I have been really working on not gossiping, not listening to gossip and it is HARD. I think gossip makes people feel connected to each other, kwim? It's much easier when school is out. lol I am hoping that the new school is not a gossip machine.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
One on had that' not too hard b/c I don't have anyone that I talk to on a consistant basis really. :( However it seems the on thing that connects me to my girl friend is work. I had a hard time, sometime, finding the line b/n vention about something and gossip. Like venting about a CW and gossip. I know sometimes they are the same thing.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
One on had that' not too hard b/c I don't have anyone that I talk to on a consistant basis really. :( However it seems the on thing that connects me to my girl friend is work. I had a hard time, sometime, finding the line b/n vention about something and gossip. Like venting about a CW and gossip. I know sometimes they are the same thing.

I agree...sometimes a vent turns into gossip, when that isn't the intention. I find that if I vent to someone, then they tell someone so and so said x did this, and it just snowballs. So I keep my mouth shut. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This one is a hard one for me.

The one that I have the hardest time not gossiping about is Flaky CW!
Heck, I even gossip to you all about her!
Like Gretchen was with her DH, I feel like coming to MHH gives me a free pass to gossip about CW (and others).
A lot of people tend to try to get "the scoop" from me. And, I admit, I like having "the scoop."
Sometimes after venting/gossiping I do have a gross feeling inside.

I think women tend to bond over gossip. Why we do this, I don't know.

Annie