HP-Week 32

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This month in The Happiness Project we are working on:Contemplate the Heavens. Corresponding reading pgs: 194-220.
We have worked on:Keeping a Gratitude Journal, Read Memoirs of Catastrophe, this week we add: Imitate a Spirtual Master. Corresponding reading pages: 206-220.

One of the most universal spiritual practices is the imitation of a spiritual master as a way to gain understanding and discipline.

Gretchen didn't know what spiritual master she wanted to imitate so she asked readers of her blog to give their opinion. Some answers: The Dalai Lama, Mother Theresa, Charles Darwin.

Gretchen settled on Saint Therese of Lisieux- a Catholic Saint. She picked her because her life was an example of taking little steps in order to be happier. Therese's example shows that ordinary life, too, is full of opportunities for worthy, if incospicuous virtue.

Another important figure in Gretchen's life that she could follow was her own father. One of his traits is that he is unflaggingly cheerful and enthusiastic. His attitude makes a big difference in everyone elses happiness.

Through her father, Gretchen learned that maybe appearing happy and care free wasn't so effortless afterall! Sometimes these people get overlooked, because they appear to not need anything. Isn't it true that the unhappy people in the world seem to get all the attention? Everyone is trying to do whatever is needed to get that person happy.

This week's Resolution: Imitate a Spiritual Master.

This week's Thought: It's easy to be heavy: hard to be light.

Share your journey, thoughts here this week!

I am looking forward to hearing about spiritual masters some have read about or would like to read about!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do not have a famous spiritual leader. I look to my friends for this type of leadership. I take bits and pieces from them into my life.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Mother Teresa is one of the spiritual people I look up to in my life. She was a wise, faithful woman.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lisa- Mother Teresa is an inspiration. To give your life so selflessly. We could all learn lessons from her!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Someone in my personal life that I would like to imitate is the pastor of my church: Dr. Peter Vaught.

It's not his religious vocation that inspires me. He is truly a wonderful human.

I was at a meeting and a woman made a very negative, discouraging comment. I thought, "Finally, we'll see it, Peter is going to lose it." But, no. He simply took a breath and said something positive and encouraging.

He is extremly intellegient and in his sermons, he quotes authors, poets, philosophers.

When I checked into the hospital for my surgery- 1.5 hour drive away- he was there waiting for me.

Every encounter I have with him, I leave feeling God's love and peace.

We need more like him in this world!

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Annie~Dr. Vaught sounds like a wonderful person! You are blessed to have him in your life.