HP- Week 33

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This month in The Happiness Project we are working on:Contemplate the Heavens. Corresponding reading pgs: 194-220.
We have worked on:Keeping a Gratitude Journal, Read Memoirs of Catastrophe, Imitate a Spirtual Master, and now this week we add: Keep a One Sentence Journal. Corresponding reading pages: 199-200.

Gretchen noticed that every time she tried to keep a journal, she just couldn't do it. It was all that writing of thoughts and feelings.

But, on a trip to the beach she was aware that there were things going on, snippets in time that she wanted to preserve. This observation fit in with her theme of Contemplating the heavens because it made her aware of the fleetingness of life. So, she began what she called A One Sentence Journal. For ex: "All packed up to go home- waiting for the ferry- Elanor had as much fun climbing the beach stairs as anything we did all summer: up and down, up and down."

Sometimes the journal entries are more than just one sentence- but are never as long as a typical journal entry.

Gretchen asked readers of her blog on ways they could keep a one sentence journal. Here are some other ideas:

* One reader traveled a lot for work. Every time he was waiting for take off, he would jot down a few things that were going on with his family. He plans on giving this journal to his children some day.

* Author Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) keeps a journal where she writes down the happiest moment of the day.

* Another reader keeps a work journal- where he writes down problems and then the solutions to the problem.

This Week's Resolution: Start a Once Sentence Journal.

This Week's Thought: Each phase of life seems long, but the years pass so quickly. Appreciate the present time, the seasons, this time of life.

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I used to do this in college. My roommate (of 4 years) and I kept a steno notebook and each night we'd write down something funny that happened or something a friend said. For our 10 year anniversary out of school I scrapbooked it all for my friend...wish I made myself a copy! ;)

I will try this again...I feel like so many of the little, but special moments get lost in the hustle and bustle of each day...someday I want my kids to know that I NOTICED and APPRECIATED those moments.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have an empty composition book somewhere and several mostly empty journals laying around, I think I will start this today!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This could also be done on a calendar.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I've always wanted to have a "Kitchen Journal."

This journal would be for when people come over for a meal. In it would be a list of the guests who were over, the meal made, maybe even the table setting decor, and the reason the guests were over.

It would be fun even for impromptu meals- where people come over and we end up BBQing or just having coffee and a snack.

Also, I thought it would be fun to have the guests write a sentence or two in the journal.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the idea of a Kitchen Journal. I'd add guests likes and dislike too.