HP- Week 39

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Welcome to a new month of The Happiness Project. Only 3 months to go!
This month we will be working on the subject of: Be Serious About Play. Corresponding reading pages: 112-140. This week's resolution is: Find More Fun. Corresponding reading pages: 115-126.

When Gretchen approached this subject she was surprised to realize that she didn't have a good sense of what she found fun. She learned that just because something was fun for someone else didn't mean it was fun for her.

Some of her blog readers discoverd the same thing. Writes one: I realized I was dong a lot of stuff and activities in my life that I didn't enjoy. Another wrote: My husband asked me what I found fun to do and I had to think long and hard about it.

Gretchen learned that she over valued what others found fun while down playing what she found fun.
She knew that to pursure fun, she would have to make time for it in her busy schedule.

One thing she always loved was children's literature. She never openly admitted to this because she felt others would view her as immature and juvenile. But with this week's resolution she would embrace this love.

She decided to start a children's literature reading group. This group has proven to provide a lot of fun in her life.

She also rediscovered a childhood passion of making Blank Books. She fills these books with quotes, magazine clippings, pictures, whatever strikes her fancy.

When an activity is fun, we look forward to doing it.

This Week's Resolution: Find More Fun

This Week's Thought: When we take the time to truly do something fun for us, we are better able at tackling the to-do list. Fun is energizing.

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I think we all need to find time for fun. I am very lucky that I Love amusement parks and roller coaster and so does DH. The kids enjoy them as well so it's nice that we can do that as a family but still have fun. Twice for our anniversary DH and I went away w/o kids and went to new Amusement parks so we could ride the rides. I like some cartoons and will watch them (w/ or w/o the kids). Sometimes I enjoy crafting other times I feel likes it so much work I can't figure out what I want the item to look like.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I definitely need to think about this. Since DH is coming home i'm sure we'll be doing all sorts of things in the near future. I think going to a knitting/crocheting group and learning would be fun but I haven't been able to do that while he's been gone because it's on Saturday afternoons with no childcare.

As a family we like to take bike rides, but I don't necessarily consider it fun. It's not because I don't enjoy being with my family but rather because bike riding is fine until I have to do hills and my knee just doesn't like it. LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do agree about doing 'fun' things with others isn't always something I would pick. I tend to do this because I know some people will not do something by themselves so I go with them. I enjoy myself because I'm with a friend but not because it's something I think is fun.

I on the other hand do not mind going by myself. People when they find out I'm a rather shy person do not believe me because I'm out alone at events. I do not mind going out to eat alone either. I figured out years ago just to go and pretend not to be shy. Doesn't mean I'm still not shy.

There is a big scrapbooking event at MOA every year. I wasn't sure I'd like going until I talked to a stranger at the scrapbooking store last week. She said she goes by herself so she's not hindered by other peoples schedules. So now I'm thinking I might go next year.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Two years ago I was struggling with this very question...and decided to take up a new sport - Paddle Tennis! It is an outdoor winter sport - sort of a cross between tennis and squash played with, you guessed it, a paddle! Having never played actual tennis or any other racket sport, I was quite intimidated, but I gave myself permission to be horrible at it but still enjoy it. It has been SO MUCH FUN! Thankfully, we'll be starting up again in 2 weeks! Hmmm...I need to find my thermals.

This year I have decided to try to learn to play the piano (learning on my own using Alfred's Adult Piano Course) I don't want to be Liberace, I just want to be able to play Christmas carols! Our nanny, who plays exceptionally well and helps me when I'm stuck, thinks I'm nuts, but I can play Jingle Bells, so I'm happy! ;)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Colleen, This is such a great attitude. I am so proud of you.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I love Colleen's attitude too!

I, too, often do things more out of obligation than because they are fun for me. That's why I'm not going to do my club anymore. I've been going to the meetings out of obligation for at least the last 3 years. I still may attend a meeting every now and again to see a few friends but that is it. I am done with that thing.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Good for you Annie. You can always start going back if you find you really miss it.

When I dropped activities that didn't fit my life plan, I found I didn't miss a lot of the activities at all. I was surprised. And someone else stepped in to be blessed by the opening I left avaiable.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks, Diedra!!!

Funny thing- I just checked my email and got one from a lady in the club saying, "Hope to see you at the meeting tonight."

Uh, no........you won't.

:)

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen- Have you ever heard of Paddle Tennis being called Pickle Ball?

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks, ladies! It took me a long time to realize that I don't have to be great at something to enjoy it!

Annie- I'm not familiar with the term Pickle Ball, but the ball is bright green! Good for you - going to a meeting (whatever sort) is mentally and emotionally draining if you don't really want to be there and who needs that?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I googled: Is pickle ball the same as paddle tennis and got this answer:

They are almost identical except for a few rule differences.
In pickleball, there is 2 foot area from the net which you cannot hit the ball from. In paddle tennis, there is no such area. And in pickleball, you must serve underhand, while in paddle tennis, you can serve either overhand or underhand.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
That's neat - I had no idea. I'll have to ask our coach if he's heard of it...might be an interesting twist we can use for "fun nights"! Our league is all overhand serves and while the goal is not to score an "Ace" like in tennis, I can tell you that some of these ladies serve up a monster! I, on the other hand, serve up a meatball! LOL!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'd say most people if given the choice would take a meatball over a monster.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Right now I don't have any obligations to things I don't want to do. I am not in any clubs or committies and I don't have a group of friends that go and do things.(I sound so lame and boring.) So there is realy not anything to drop. I often don't make time for other fun things though. It's somting I need to be more aware of.