Hurry Less, Worry Less at Christmastime: Having the Holiday Season You Long For

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I thought some of you might like to hear more about a book I begun last night. I'm only on page 50 but have highlighted several passages. I will share them here with you. Maybe you will find something that interest you. This book has a Christain theme so you will see some Bible verses in my post.

"Make a conscious effort not to allow the retail world to dictate to you what the holidays are all about and what will make you happy. Turn the TV off, read more, listen to more music, and keep Jesus at the forefront. He often gets uninvited to his own birthday party.

List words that you would like to describe your life from Thanksgiving into the New Year. These words become mini-goals and provide a focus for the entire season. They constitute a short, easy answer to the "what" question.

Make a list of words that you absolutely do not want to describe your life during the holidays. Sometimes we can figure out what we want by knowing clearly what we do not want.

List what you like most about the holiday season. What do you absolutely love? What do you enjoy each year at Thanksgiving and Christmas?

As you consider what you like, go ahead and admit what you do not care for about the holidays. describe your life during the holidays. Sometimes we can figure out what we want by knowing clearly what we do not want.

Now that you have done some thinking about what you like and don't like about the holiday season, it's time to select your joy Goal.

Maybe your goal is truly to live one of the words you came up with to describe your life-a word such as peaceful. Perhaps you will decide to have a certain number of nights at home each week or to attend church each week or to have an Advent study time each morning. Perhaps you want to start the New Year with written goals or commit to pray for God's guidance from Advent until Epiphany.

As you write your steps, consider what brings you comfort and joy during the holidays. Build in small rituals that help you relax and renew. I like to drink my morning coffee out of a Christmas mug and listen to Christmas carols in the morning. (Did I mention that I like Christmas music?) I like to do an Advent study during my morning quiet time. I like to drive my young niece around to look at Christmas lights. Each of these rituals is small but helps me savor the season.

"Make lists. Start early. Save at least one night a week to do nothing except what you find restful. " Rediscover favorite things.

"During the holidays I reread two of my favorite stories." "It helps me to read Christmas-themed literature, whether fiction or religious nonfiction. " Keep a Christmas journal. "I cannot say how helpful my Christmas journal is. I make sure I put down what I learned, what I want to change, ideas I have for next year.

" Take heart: Anything that can go right will go right. Try this: Look for the good in each day. For all that has been-Thanks! To all that shall be-Yes! -Dag Hammarskj6ld

I have too often chosen to focus on what I do not have. My thoughts are prone to wander to what I want, what I need. Weird little greedy thoughts seem to occupy too much of my brain on some days, tending to make me focus on what is wrong rather than what is right, on what I do not have rather than what I do have.

I have found that giving thanks is powerful medicine for almost anything that ails me.

Thanksgiving does not have to be the launching point for weeks of too much-too much food, too much spending, and too many activities. It can be the starting point of a new way of living and thinking. This is not as hard as it may sound. First, in early to mid-November, take a few minutes to begin thinking about what you want your holidays to look and feel like. Consider how you can end the year in a strong and happy way and start the New Year with hope and joy. Most of us do not have time for long periods of solitude and reflection.

First, in early to mid-November, take a few minutes to begin thinking about what you want your holidays to look and feel l ike. Consider how you can end the year in a strong and happy way and start the New Year with hope and joy. Most of us do not have time for long periods of solitude and reflection. But we can find moments here and there to assess how we are living and how we want to live. No matter how busy we are, we can find time to do the things that matter the most to us.

Grab a notebook or tablet and begin to jot down your heart's desire for this time of year and a step or two that you can take to create a more joyful season.

As you begin to give thanks more, you will find that you will worry less. It is as though gratitude begins to take up the space in your mind and heart where worry used to live. God draws near to us when we give thanks.

Philippians 4:4-7: "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Set aside a day of thanksgiving each week, starting in November and continuing through Advent until the Christian observance of Epiphany. On that day, focus your thoughts and prayers and words and actions on saying thank you to God. Thank the Creator
for everything that day. When you find yourself becoming impatient or aggravated, thank God for that moment. Your attitude will change.

Start by sitting quietly. Wow! Does that go against the grain? Before you get caught up in the whirl of the Christmas season, plan for at least fifteen minutes alone in a quiet spot each day. If you can find more time, savor it.

We must plan ways to sit quietly and listen for God's voice-and turn off the television, radio, and cell phone. "Be still, and know that I am God," we are told in Psalm 46:10.

Now, imagine how you want your Christmas season to look and feel. What if you could have more of these moments and fewer of the stressful and frenzied ones? What if your heart could deepen in its love for God and others through this season? What if you could reach the New Year with a new spirit?

Taking time each day to reflect on God's love and power is a small step that can yield big returns in how you want Christmas-and all of your life-to unfold.

Use a journal to Reflect and Meditate Writing in a journal can be a useful tool for this time of year. It might include a prayer, as I have just mentioned, or a word or two that you want to focus on. It might even include a busy day's to-do list, those wayward items that keep popping into your mind while you are trying to focus on Christ. Go ahead and list them and ask for God's help in dealing with them. Commit to including Jesus-with his help-in the day. Here are some other ways to commit to the spiritual side of the holiday:

------------------------

Please share your thoughts. If anyone is interested in seeing more of my highlights let me know.

This book might still be available for free on the Kindle or Kindle apps

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks, Tricia. This is really great! I especially like the idea of keeping a Christmas journal. I reread A Christmas Carol every year and it never fails to get me in the spirit!

Punxsy

Retire Member
Oct 30, 2008
Girlsinmo
Could you please give me the name of the book you are reading? I think I would enjoy reading it also. Thank you
Punxsy

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Girlsinmo
Could you please give me the name of the book you are reading? I think I would enjoy reading it also. Thank you
Punxsy

Sure the book tiltle is:

Hurry Less, Worry Less at Christmastime: Having the Holiday Season You Long For by Judy Pace Christie.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Tricia! every little bit that makes Christmas more peaceful & loving helps :)

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
That is a very powerful post! I truly enjoyed reading it and will re-read it several times throughout the season. I will also check for it on Amazon. Thanks so much for taking the time to post!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
oh, Library tomorrow - will have to see it they have a copy, thanks!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
thanks for posting this, it's what I need. I got it for my phone no to read it.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks ladies I'm glad you like it. I will be posting more as I read & highlight more..For those of you who get the book will you please post what sticks out to you in it Thanks

I bought a couple of journals tonight. One of them I've already started using for a Christmas/gratitude journal

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I can read this over and over and get something new out of it every day.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I plan to add more to it Diedra just in a bit of a blah mood right now..Doesn't help that tomorrow is the 8th...

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
A few more highlights from the book..The book might still be free at Amazon if you'd like to download it...

Here are some other ways to commit to the spiritual side of the holiday:

Choose a book for your own personal Advent study.

Attend church throughout Advent, going with an open heart to be used by God during this season.

Serve other people. When we get so caught up in "I, me, mine" during the weeks leading up to Christmas, we too often overlook opportunities to serve.

Volunteer in some way as part of the way you and your family celebrate Christmas.

Include manger scenes in your decorations. These are a simple reminder of why we are celebrating.

Reread the Christmas story in the second chapter of Luke and rethink its meaning.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged" (1 Chronicles 22:13). Consider praying this Christmas prayer:

"Come, Lord Jesus. Come into my heart, into my life, into these busy days. Be part of my thoughts, my words, my actions during this season in which we celebrate your birth. Amen."

Take time to go to church during this season, even when you feel too busy.

Make time for uncomplicated joys.

"Listen to music, lots of it, with all the lights out except the Christmas tree lights. Play with children. Look for the ways God surprises with meaning. I believe the first Christmas was a major surprise in many ways and that God still comes in unexpected ways, especially when we look for them. "

Recognize that the pressure to conform to society often robs us of the beauty of the season. People should try to "be pleasers of God and not people pleasers (best gift, best meal-best, best, best). "

Less is More: Spending Less, Eating Less, Fretting Less for More Joy

Take heart: You do not have to buy expensive gifts. Try this: Do not overspend.

In probably no area do people pour forth more feelings about the need for change than on the topics of spending too much and eating too much and doing too much. From Thanksgiving through Christmas and on into the New Year, remember: Less is more. Everyone has more than enough candy, perfume, knickknacks. Err on the side of less. A little scaling back can he a good thing. Spend a little less than you intended on a gift. Eat and drink a little less. If one plate of hors d'oeuvres is great, two are not necessarily better. I can think of only two exceptions to the "less is more" rule at Christmas. One is prayer and the other is sleep.

Pray More... Decide to pray more during this season-for the people you love, for your attitude during the holidays, for your devotion to Christ, for people in need.

Plan to get more sleep. During the hectic holidays, a good night's sleep is not likely to happen without a plan. Do not schedule activities for every evening and weekend moment, leaving only the hours between midnight and 6:00 AM for wrapping, baking, card writing, online shopping, cleaning, and decorating.

How much sleep do you need to be a kind and loving person during this season?)

How can you focus on simpler, kinder, smaller, more sincere?

Consider these steps: Return to your thoughts of how you want your holidays to look and feel. Consider the words you chose to describe your life. Begin to pray anew that God will speak to you about how to shape your days accordingly. Ask for guidance. Decide that you will take at least a few steps to simplify your holidays. Begin to think about what those steps could he. Perhaps one is cutting out the Christmas party you have had for the past dozen years.

Figure how much money you can spend for Christmas gifts-not how much you want to spend but how much you actually have available to spend.

I love presents-both giving and receiving them. I like surprises and receiving the gift that shows the person really knows me.

But I have come to realize that we need to spend less money on presents and more time with the people we love, that we need to enjoy being together during the holidays and not fret that our presents will somehow come up lacking.

I do not advocate not giving gifts. I think we show people we care about them by remembering them on such occasions. But I propose having more fun with it, doing it with a happy heart instead of dread and fatigue.

Take thirty minutes of your shopping time one lunch hour or evening and do some soul-searching about gift giving and the accompanying expenditures. As you contemplate the gifts you will buy, what and for whom, consider giving to people you want to give to, not people you feel obligated to give to.

Make a list of the handful of people to whom you definitely want to give. These folks, I think, generally fall into four groups. The first three groups are closest family (spouse, children, parents, and grandparents), other family (siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins), and friends (including co-workers you might want to give a present to). The fourth group is a bit different; it is composed of people who serve you during the year (pastor, mail carrier, your favorite waitress at the neighborhood coffee shop), those you encounter who might need a little love and attention at Christmas, and people who are in great need. Sometimes these are names you pick up at church. Or, maybe it is someone you notice who has a sudden reversal of fortune during the holidays. Perhaps it is a friend who is recently divorced and lonely or an older person whose children live far away. Being open to these people can help you reclaim the delight of giving gifts at Christmas, buying for people who are deeply grateful and who have a need.

Do not overlook people around you who might be in need or just need to know you were thinking of them.

Take Some Names Off Your List Once you have come up with the people you most want to give to, consider people you have been giving to who might need to come off your list.

Also, consider spending slightly less on each present, boldly giving up that annual worry that your gift will look cheap compared with what someone gives you or what someone else gives them.

If you really want to give lots of gifts, consider spreading some out through the year when they might be appreciated more or come as a happy surprise.

Donations can make meaningful and easy gifts, allowing your money to go for something that will not collect dust or wind up in a garage sale.

Clearly some people have less to spend than others. Do not try to match dollar for dollar.

Families handle gifts in different ways.

Some draw names, a change in tradition that we have recently made with my brothers and their families. This eases the financial burden of the holidays and cuts down on the time spent shopping. In addition, this change can turn the focus away from gifts and onto visiting. Many families also set a spending limit on the gift, so that family members are less likely to feel pressured to spend more than they can afford.

The truth is that few of us need much, and we often have extra items lying around the house. While gifts can be nice, they also can add to the clutter of our already full homes.

We can decide to go at a slower speed. We can make changes. The amazing thing is that even small changes can make big differences. One, we feel better and not quite so out of control. Two, others begin to feel a sense of relief, and we have a positive influence on them. Three, we can have a positive impact that expands beyond our home or office as people begin to try this approach that they have observed in us.

Once you have a pretty good idea of whom you will give gifts to, work on your holiday spending plan. This is a guide for how much money you will spend. Even though you may hate the word budget, a spending plan will be a tool that can help you make it through the holidays with much less worry.

As you learn to plan for less hurried and less worried holidays, it will become easier to stick to a spending plan. One way is to save a little money each month throughout the year to help pay the Christmas bills.

Another approach is to buy gifts as you find them during the year, often getting the right item at a better price.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to read these each month.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I agree!This is so good.