Husband Surgery

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
My DH is having surgery on Thursday. They'll remove his tonsils as well as fixing his nose. (Deviated septum) Since he'll be down for a few days--I need help!!! I've already bought one of his favorite movies and plan on renting more. I want to pick up some drink containers, a lap table, a ton of food he'll be able to have. (Pudding, ice cream, mashed potatoes, jello, etc.) I love my hubby, but he's a big baby when he gets a cold so I know this is going to be rough and over Maunday Thursday, Good Friday and Easter.... What would you do? Anyone have tips or ideas?

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
First of all: all the best for your husband and you ;-)

how long will he stay in hospital? With a general anesthesia he has to stay there a few days.
I think during the first days he will be tired anyway so he can't do so many things and he will
sleep a lot.
But to have some activities for him:
maybe you can borrow a games console with a few games he likes (maybe friends or neighbours could help here)
Buy some of his favourite magazines
Is there any preferred author? Buy (or borrow) a book of this author which he doesn't know yet

My husband had two hernia surgeries as well as an appenix surgery last year. So I am absolutely with you! Keep your chin up you will make it!

Chilli

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
When my DS had his tonsils and adnoids removed they sent him home the same day. He was pretty good about it. He played video games, did some word searches, ate ice cream, pudding and mashed potatoes but his favorite thing to have the first few days was Frozen Popsicles to eat. I guess the cold helped numb his throat.

Good luck to you and your husband!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Good Luck to him! Just be patient with him and like others say
have magazines, books, word search, TV with remote, pillow and covers if not in bed, games, movies and enjoy the time together. (if you can endure it LOL!) Maybe can play cards.
Maybe if he is a lister (my DH keeps it in his mind---then can't remember!) he can do his spring/summer to do list!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Have nothing to offer in the way of feeling sorry for husbands this week. I've been sick with the flu and my dh was no help. One day at 1 p.m. he told me he hadn't had any breakfast. Hello mister, I'm flat in bed with the flu, think you can get a bowl and dump some cereal into it. lol

So my suggestions might not be too well received this week. lol

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
How about getting him some of the metal puzzles. Tavern Puzzles has a great selection for adults, that they have easy to challenging puzzles.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Warning, may be a bit graphic to some...

I had nasal and sinus surgery last Spring (including fixing a deviated septum). I was out of the hospital as soon as I woke from the surgery (same day). The pain medications pretty much knocked me out nicely for the first few days, so I didn't need much. I slept through the day, only waking for a few hours to go to the bathroom (I needed help getting out of bed the first few days, but beyond that, could manage on my own), sip some fluids (Ginger Ale and Apple Juice were great; bendy straws work wonders!), and change my bandages (if it's the same with your DH, they'll tape gauze under his nostrils that he'll need to change now and then. But remember, I also had sinus surgery, so this may be different) before falling asleep again. I deeply appreciated DH's help because my coordination abilities were less than stellar, and it was nice not having to get out of bed more than I had to. I was pretty tired and weak in general for the first week, but after that could manage pretty well on my own.

DH helped me change my nasal gauze, mix together my saline (may have just been for sinus surgery, but I had to clean my nose with it. They provided me a bottle to start, but once it was used up, I had to mix baking soda/salt/water), get dressed (bending over was difficult, and thus, pants/socks/shoes), eat/drink, kept me supplied with DVDs (I couldn't read/write without feeling dizzy; hopefully your DH will fair better) and my laptop later on (could only handle short bursts at first), lifted occasional things for me, and drove me to my follow-ups.

And some tips for your DH...

If he has issues with feeling nauseous from general anesthesia, he can request anti-nausea medicine for during the surgery (goes in his IV) and after the surgery (pill form). I did this and didn't have issues with nausea/vomiting after surgery like I usually would. Made things *so* much better.

Also, watch that shower spray on the nose! Ow ow ow. I learned to shield my nose with one hand and direct the shower into a dribble with the other. May seem silly to some, but owwwww I can still feel it.

And don't freak like I did if you discover a few stitches on your tissue once you're finally allowed to blow your nose (assuming you weren't allowed to in the first place). It's perfectly normal. And if you get any painful crusting at the tip of your nostrils (this happened with me especially at the stitch sites right inside my nostrils), a shower does wonders. Otherwise, try dabbing GENTLY with a moist tissue or cotton swab to loosen and clean things up.

Also, I personally LOVED and looked forward to the follow-ups because, at least with me, they suctioned out a lot of junk I couldn't reach with my saline spray, which felt SO GOOD and left me breathing SO WELL. On one of the follow-ups, they also removed two huge splints that supported my septum (which is likely what your DH will endure). They snip a few stitches in the nose holding it in place than pull them right out with some tweezers. It didn't hurt much; just a little pinch and some pressure, but they were much bigger than I thought they were, so it was rather shocking (I swear, they must have been lodged in my brain! lol). After they took them out, I felt like I had two highways for nostrils. It was amazing to breathe so well, with such straightness! And it only gets better from there (and you smell better and taste better as it heals). Well worth all of the trouble.

Good luck to you and your husband! I hope time flies by, as it did with me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thank you for sharing your story. These are those little details most doctors skim over when they talk to you about the surgery they will be doing.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
You're welcome. I hope you and your DH feel better soon! :flower:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Thank you for sharing your surgery info with me! That helps me know what to be prepared for! I think he'll be very quiet for the first few days at least!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I'm glad it helped! If you or your DH have any questions, I'm here! :flower:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Alright I think I'm ready! DH has surgery at 1:30 today. I went and bought a blender (ours had broken). The freezer is stocked with ice cream and popsicles. Our refrigerator has pudding, jello, tons of bottled water, juice, etc! I covered his pillows with a plastic covering, there are kleenex on the tables where he normally sits, blankets... Oh and ice packs just in case he needs them. I also got him a musical card for after surgery. Should be quite a day!!! Thank you for the advice and heads up!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That musical card is such a sweet touch. I remember my grandmother got me a crossword "get better" card and it was the highlight of my day.

Good luck! You sound more than well-prepared. Speedy healing to your hubby!

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
Hope everything worked out well with his surgeries, when my D/H had his surgery I bought him a couple hand held games( yahtzee, & Deal or no Deal)& puzzle books with all different kind of puzzles.