I need some gift basket idea please!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
My one set of in-laws are going through a hard time this year. They've had some health issues including some sight impairment (basically they each have one fairly good eye so they're not blind just impaired to a degree). They both seem depressed (being medicated for this but haven't quite found something that's working as well as they'd like). I think from what she's saying there is a great deal of regret moving out of state, although they've made good freinds in current state and keep in touch with old friends. It's just a tough time for them.

They've always been difficult to buy for because they have enough money to get what they want when they want it. We've taken to sending them gourmet/mail order food items (think Omaha steaks, Honeybaked hams, etc) and that has gone over very well. But this year I want to brighten their spirits by sending them something different.

My thought is to send them a fun basket of smaller gifts that might just make the season a little more fun for them. For my FIL (who is a BIG nascar fan) I was thinking of making a pirate jar (I think that's what they're called) filled with as many matchbox cars and racing paraphenalia as I can find. In the past we've bought him DVD's of previous years races and he likes those. But what else could I put in his basket?

She still likes to read so I'm thinking of some books (I've got a pretty good idea of her favorite authors). She likes candles, so I could get her some candles. Bath products? Maybe a cute pair of earrings? Anyone have any ideas for her basket?

I'd like to keep it light in weight because postage is soooo expensive! I know I can purchase a plastic jar for his gift and I'll choose paperbacks over hardback.

I'm not really thinking in terms of theme baskets, just lots of little things that would be fun to open or discover in a basket. Any help or ideas would be so very appreciated!

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
A Nascar blanket or throw might be useful in the cold months or Nascar slippers. For your MIL maybe one of those booklights that attach to the book and make the words easier to see? I'm just thinking aloud here....

one of those book magnifiers so she can read the words easier!!! Maybe the chicken soup for the soul series will help pull her out of the depression she is having!!!

DFIL loves Nascar and you have bought dvd's and such in the past and he loved them. Keep up with the tradition and add a blanket as suggested earlier and they probably have a book with pictures of the racetrack or books on the history of Nascar that he might reading/browsing with DMIL. I bought in WalMart 2 years ago (and they still have them) Santa dressed up in a Nascar driver uniform. We are Dale Jr. and Jeff Gordon fans so I already have Dale Jr. and this year I will buy Jeff Gordon. Especially since this year is the last year for Dale Jr as the #8 car (if he is a fan) he might enjoy something representing the #8!!!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
My dear Mom would say that her best Christmas as a 'grown up' was the one that I secretly did the 12 Days of Christmas for them -- leaving little gifts on their porch each night for 12 days. She said it brought joy, anticipation, and some of that thrill you feel when you're little and not in charge of everything!

Is there a way you could send a box to one of their neighbors with instructions to leave the little gifts and notes on their porch? I know it's a large undertaking. Maybe you could tell your in-laws that you need the names of some good neighbors/friends as a safety precaution in case you can't get in touch with them.

You could add any of the great ideas that you get here -- the magnifier, manicure kit, Nascar stuff, etc.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
For DS11 that loves Nascar and is a big Jr. fan. Like mother like son. I am buying anything I find that he doesn't have with #8 on it.

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
I am sort of taking off on HolidayJoy's idea. I have purchased a stocking for each of them (they're adorable--one is a snowman and the other is a teddy bear) and we are going to fill them with a variety of FUN items that we think they'll each enjoy or at least get a kick out of opening.

So far, for MIL, we have a set of moisturizing gloves and socks. Shea balm. Eye pads (for refreshing tired eyes). A beautiful sequined box of toffees (I may take the candy out and use the box to hold another gift if the stocking runs out of room). French vanilla reed diffuser (it's smaller than many of the other sets I've seen so it should fit in well). A magnatized todo list pad for the fridge. A small bottle of perfume. A cute lipstick holder with built in mirror. I think I will get her a necklace or a pair of earrings to finish off.

So far, for FIL, we have a package of antique car ornaments (he loves anything car related). Obviously we have alot more work to do to finish his stocking but we will be going shopping next weekend or maybe even this week to finish his stocking. I'm thinking about hitting a Nascar website and ordering some things for his stocking--I think we'd find alot more things that he'd like (since he's not a Jeff Gordon fan or any of the other 'biggies' that are so easy to find.

Before Thanksgiving vacation is over I'd like to have everything wrapped and packed so we can mail it off with ease.

Thanks one and all for the fanatastic ideas!

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
MIL stocking is all ready to go. We went online last night and ordered some cute things for FIL--swim shorts (they live in year round warm weather and love their pool!), bottle opener and Roush T shirt. DH is going to run to Wal-Mart and pick up a few extra things for him.

We've also decided to take tons of pictures over the Thanksgiving holiday and make simple albums not only for them but for my folks too. I'm not very good at sending home pictures so I think all of them will be delighted--as a matter of fact they have all been asking for pictures lately!

I'm going to wrap each stocking well in bubble warp so nothing breaks during shipping. I really hope this cheers them up!

Thanks for the encouragement!

:package:

Momtwo

MHH Member
Dec 17, 2007
I made a Superbowl Basket for DBIL:

popcorn bowl for container
Football Trivia Cards
Football DVD
Football Napkins and Cups
Candy-many different kinds.
Beef Jerky
a couple of microwave popcorns
Fruit and nut mix
Pistachio nuts
PF Milano cookies
Hot chcolate packets
Cappucino packets
small bag of pretzels

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lou sounds great

momtwo- I need a few more things for my ds11 and I think that you just gave me an idea. We are both Syracuse basketball fans. We go to at least one game together. He goes to most home games with my uncle that has season seats. I got him the tickets to our game together, I think that I will make him up a basket of things that we can use while were are watching games at home together.