Icicles and an enabler alert!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerleader

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
If you ever have a couple of hours to waste (LOL) go to google images and type in "retro Christmas or vintage Christmas. Oh my, time certainly slipped away quick. Lots of photos that brought back lots of memories.

One thing I noticed on many of the old photos is the use of "icicles" on the Christmas trees. When I was growing up icicles were a must. You never see them any more. I'm thinking that this year I may revive that tradition on at least one of my trees. I know they are messy to take off, but I think the "look" is worth it. I remember sitting in the dark with only the lights from the tree of and watching the glistening icicles.

Do any of you still use icicles?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nope! too messy. But I love everything else about a retro christmas!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
No, we don't use them. We put up two trees; a live one on our main level, and an artificial downstairs in our family room. The icicles are too hard to remove from both and you can't recycle the live tree with the icicles still on. But I agree they are pretty on a tree, our trees always had icicles when I was a kid. Mom would never let me put them on because you had to place them one by one. I thought it was easier to take a handful and throw it up there!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We didn't put icicles on our tree last year, but I did every year previous to that. Only $.50 a package at the dollarstore!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
We always had icicles, but with 2 cats, we found out this wasn't a good idea-too much fun to chew on...but my SIL --no kids or cats--always has them on her tree...they do bring back memories...

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I haven't used them, but my Dad insisted on them every year. I am planning a retro themed tree, if I can find enough Shiny Brite ornaments at the flea market, so I might put them on that one, along with the huge bulbs and possibly some bubble lights...it's just a small wall tree, so it wouldn't be too bad to take them off that one.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Oh, my! What a trip down memory lane. :globe:

We used icicles when I was a child. And they were saved from year to year. I was never allowed to help decorate the tree, but the icicles were put on one by one. I did the same thing when I got my own home. And the trees were beautiful!! I taught my children to do the same thing. When I was pregnant with my last child (who was born three weeks after Christmas), I was HUGE (he weighed 10#, 1 oz!), and couldn't reach the tree very well. So my daughter, who was seven at the time, put the icicles on the tree for me, and did a very good job. I haven't put a tree up for the last couple of years, but I really am going to try this year. It didn't seem quite like Christmas without a green tree. Memories are so precious.

:bigsnow:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I haven't used icicles since I was a teenager. We stopped buying them because they were too messy. I could never get them on the tree right anyway and the tree would look junkie. LOL

momtomaddie

Retire Member
Jul 17, 2008
East Central Indiana
I guess I don't understand the type of these icicles. What would make them "messy"? Did you make them? The only ones I've ever seen are the "crystal" looking ones from the store. Just wondering...

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Do you mean tinsel? The only icicles I've ever seen on trees are the crystal ornaments so I'm wondering if this is just a regional difference in what they are called.

My family strung tree with tinsel as a kid, one by one, slowly on and slowly off. It was reused every year. I haven't used it on my tree as an adult. Maybe someday.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
My MIL always puts tinsel on her tree. Me - never.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
When we were growing up, I begged for icicles instead of tinsel garland, but my mom always vetoed the idea. And now that I am the one who takes the tree down, I understand why! Come to think of it, if she had given in, I might not have liked the change - it really threw me when she switched from those big C-4 lights to the little ones (and I was 30-something at the time!).

Fun thread!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I have used tinsel or icicles a couple of times...none recently. I use large fluffy white garland and tinsel makes it just too much...I do like the look of it tho (without garland).

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
We called in "tinsel" when I was growing up & yes, we always had it on our tree! Like someone else mentioned, we saved ours from year to year. I swear, some of it had to be 10 years old--or more! LOL! I love the stuff but don't dare use it because we have 3 cats. It can be very dangerous to them to eat. If I am EVER without cats again, though, I will definately have tinsel on my tree. It looks so very old fashion, I think! Just brings back so many good memories!

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
In our home, icicles are a must have on the main tree. I don't put it on the trees in my other rooms. I love it, we always had it on our tree as a child, and it's something I remember being mesmerized by...for hours I'd sit and watch the lights reflect on the tinsel. I only like it on a tree if I hang one strand at a time...and it is evenly distributed on the tree. It probably takes me longer to do the icicles than anything else.

I guess I'm blessed, my cats have absolutely no interest in playing with it....thank God!!!

It can tend to be messy at times, especially when the grandbabies are looking at the gifts....but, to us, it's worth all the effort!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That does bring back memories. My grandparents always used it on their tree, put on one at a time and also saved it year to year. We call it icicles. I have always used tinsel garland on our tree. One year I thought I would put bows on out of tulle (several yrs ago) and the DH, and kids wanted our garland on. Once I also tried a BIG bow on top and the ribbon steaming down but that was a no gotoo.