Icicles and an enabler alert!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't use tinsel. Instead I have a long glittery metalic mesh ribbon that I run through the branches. It reflects the light and looks like ice. Love it! I'm going to go Google Vintage/Retro Christmas photos though!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Talk about memories!! I haven't used tinsel on Chrismas trees since I was a kid. We could never get it to look right, but we put it on anyway. :grin: Dh and I have never used it because we have always had pets.

:snowman: Melanie

Sleighlady

Retire Member
Sep 3, 2008
I'm thinking you're talking about tinsel, we called it icicles when I was a kid.

I used tinsel on my trees, until my oldest grandson became a toddler, I guess that would be five years ago. As much as it say Christmas to me, I don't think I'll go back. Now I use bead garlands to reflect the lights. It's not the same, but it's so much easier. ~~ Gail

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
ChristmasCheerleader said:
I remember sitting in the dark with only the lights from the tree of and watching the glistening icicles.

Ohh, such memories! I did the exact same thing! Now that I'm responsible for undecorating my own trees I don't use it, but I do use tinsel that is silver and long and has a hook on one end. I bought it at a Christmas shop in TN many years ago and it came in a tube with a cork as the top - my BF says the cork is to keep air out and tarnish down. The tube is supposed to have 50 pieces in it and mine has 52. I wish I had bought a couple more tubes because they are wonderful to tuck in the branches and lend the same effect as the old fashioned tinsel of my youth. They are "twirley" so they catch the lights of the trees and shimmer and sparkle. I just got really happy thinking about them and can't wait until it's time to pull them out of storage!