Ideas/Suggestions for compiling a Master Holiday Grocery Lst

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Many of the various "plans" that are out there, whether it be HGP, HHW or CC, often include the creation of a master grocery list.

And then suggest that it be divided into perishable and non-perishable items so that you can get a jump start on stocking away the non-perishable stuff.

I think it is a great idea, but I have struggled every year with the format of my list.

I tend to keep all my lists on the computer since they are so often in flux it is easier to change them.

In any case, this year I think I have hit on a good way to keep my list and I wanted to share. And also to see if anyone has their own tips/tricks they would like to share.

In the past, I've sat down with my menus for each holiday event, and made a huge list of the need groceries. Then I would combine items that were the same and end up with a notation for "2 dozen eggs" or "4 lbs of butter".

All well and good, but if I decided to change out a recipe at the last minute or skip it altogether, I had to look up the recipe, see what it called for and try to delete those amounts or special items from my Master List.

I also struggled with understanding when I would need what, especially on my Perishables list. I might need "6 cups of heavy whipping" cream, but I had no way to easily tell that I needed only 2 cups early in December and the rest for Christmas Day...

So to sum things up, I'm including a snippet of my new method of organizing my Master Grocery List below.

I've used color coding to represent each Holiday event where I will be making food items. After each item on the list I've noted the recipe it will be used for in parentheses, with the text in the appropriate color.

I've left items of the same type broken out as seperate lines, but still next to each other for easy totalling as necessary.

See what you think...

Master Grocery List Sample

Halloween Cookie Exchange Cookie Baking
Wrapping Party Christmas Brunch

Non-Perishable/Frozen Items

2 cups flour (Apple Cinnamon Bread)
1/4 cup brown sugar (Apple Cinnamon Bread)
1 cup brown sugar (Roasted Apples & Sweet Potatoes)
4 cups flour (Chunky Chocolate Gobs)
1 cup Crisco (Snickerdoodles)

Perishable Items

2 apples (Apple Cinnamon Bread)
8 eggs (Chunky Chocolate Gobs)
2 eggs (Snickerdoodles)

This is just a snippet of my real list, but hopefully you guys can get the idea...

I think this will really help me understand not only what I need, but why I am buying it and when I will actually be using it.

That is my grandiose plan, anyway! :haha:

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
It looks like a great system, and I think I might tweak it for myself. Last year was the first year I used HHP, and I was delighted with how well the master baking list worked. The color-coding is a terrific modification - wish I had thought of it last year! Thanks for sharing this!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I don't stock up with a lot of items early. I do use a list for each holiday. The only two I combine is Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

I like what AuntJamelle is doing with little notes after why you need an item. Color coding them is even better. I noticed last year I ran out of whipping cream because I use it in several recipes and then on pie. So if I have a note of how many items I need it in I should remember to buy extra.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
hmmmm....I like the idea but not sure I'm organized enough to color code...LOL

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
That's what I do, too, Jaime...I find it really helps to when I'm shopping to know WHEN I'll need that particular item. If I know that I need 2 cans of evaporated milk for a Halloween dish and two for a Thanksgiving dish, I can pick up two now and two in a week or so, which helps with the budget issues we all face, more now than ever.

Thanks for sharing!!

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
Great tip! The colors will work perfect, after I purchase many of the items early and put them in the cupboard or frige, I write "DO NOT USE" on them so every one knows they can't eat it. I think I'll buy colored stickers to put on the items and then I'll know which are for what occation. Wow, sometimes I think I go a little over the top with organizing. Any one else?

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Great ideas. Love the color coding. I might have use this idea - even on my monthly shopping list.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
What a great idea. I may give it a try, if I can find the time to sort it out. It would really help me if I could.

Thanks for the idea!

:flower: