I'm Thankful for Ahorsesoul

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I just wanted to take a minute to thank Ahorsesoul for keeping Turkey Day up and running. I love the Turkey Day cards and the other little tidbits she posts to help us REMEMBER Thanksgiving and not let it get lost in the Christmas madness!

Thanks for your work!!!

Hope you have a GREAT Thanksgiving!!!

:thanksgiving2:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was thinking about that today on the way to work. Trying not to loose the moment of Thanksgiving. It's always just been an off, weird kind of family day for me. So I think sometims I hold on to that and try not to make it special. Not always, but sometimes. I'm going to work on that!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this. Thank you, you made my day. Wishing everyone a Happy Turkey Day tomorrow.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Yes, Ahorsesoul! You really do keep us going with Thanksgiving!

Thank you!

Annie

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Thanks for doing such a great job!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ahorsesoul-
I want to get more into cooking for Turkey day monthly in 2011!

I always do try to be observant of thankfullness and gratitude that day but my mind has been spinning the last few days with recipes I want to try.

For ex:
* I've never brined a turkey so I want to try that.
* I want to play with different stuffing mixtures- I've never done an oyster stuffing or even cornbread stuffing.
* I want to get more homemade than even we are now- like instead of using canned broth and stock- I want to make my own. And- I want to make my own pumpkin puree.
* I want to perfect pie crusts. And maybe try some different toppings- like whipped cream spiked with a brandy.
* I want to play with more sides- I've had a recipe for a corn pudding that I have wanted to try for a couple of years.

Like I posted to Kim- I don't think the day of Thanksgiving is the day to experiment. Of any meal of the year- Thanksgiving is the one that doesn't allow for much experimentation and change. BUT- if I have the recipes down pat- it might help in introducing something new.

Thanks again, Ahorsesoul!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Annie,
I agree that Thanksgiving is not the day to play with new recipes. Just trying to get all the food on the table at once is enough stress.

I do play all year with the holiday recipes. About the only thing I might try new is a pie recipe. But even that is made the day before.

For broth I sometimes buy already roasted chicken for a fast meal. I will take all the chicken off the bones, toss them into a pan with water, celery, onions and simmer while we have dinner then I turn off the stove. I let it sit until it's cool enough to strain into a Ziploc bag. Label the bag, put it into a plastic dish and freeze it. I keep it in the dish until it's frozen because once one of the bags had a tiny leak and I had a freezer to clean. The next day I remove the dish. Spices can be added to the broth while it cooks if wanted.

I find that I have to do this right away or the bones sit in the refrig until they need to be tossed instead of making a broth. For me it's just to easy to put off doing the broth once those bones are out of sight. Frozen broth can be kept frozen 4 to 6 months.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thank you, ahorsesoul! I didn't host this year, but 2011 is MY turn!!! I am looking forward to planning with you and the rest of the gang here at MHH!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Colleen,
Write down what you liked or disliked about this last Thanksgiving. Things you thought the host should have done differently or should do again. If you do it now you will remember but if you wait you'll forget half your great ideas.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was browsing the boards tonight and ran across this. I noticed AHorseSoul has still been faithful each month of 2011 to post of Turkey Day, even though I have not been faithful to visit.

Thanksgiving for my family has always been at my DGM's house, but with her physical (or more mental) condition, it will more than likely be at my house. DGM hasn't done the actual cooking for many years, but it was still at her house. This puts an entirely new perspective on it for us this year.

Thanks, AHorseSoul! This thread will take on much more meaning for me this year.

~Jane

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Jane, You message brought tears to my eyes and heart. Thank you.