Is Anyone Getting a Little "Jittery" ?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

koalagirl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Fellow Christmas lovers and planners, I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed....I've done all of this planning and preparations...but I'm a bit nervous and wondering if I'll actually get it all done on time! I think what is bothering me the most is all of the school activities/parties that I'm involved in--some I am actually coordinating--and gracious, it's just a lot of stuff! Is anyone else feeling like this? :help:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
ME.....ME.....ME....

I have quite a bit of shopping done but I still have a bit to do. I feel like the parties are almost here...and I don't really feel ready.

But I keep telling myself it will all come together and it usually does. My goal is almost always to be ready by Decmeber 10th....So I'll let you know how that comes together.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm not really. I have all my shopping done and wrapped except for a few things that are coming in the mail and the food stuff I need to get for the kid's stockings. We don't have any holiday parties to attend, just two family dinners (one on the 9th and one on Christmas eve) and I have no responsibilities for either.

Right now i'm trying to get my wonderful husband to put up the lights outside. LOL The only thing i'm a little worried about is that we're going on vacation for a week starting on the 14th so that really screws up my baking schedule. I'm going to have to bake twice, once before we leave and once when we return.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I am a little. I still need to find something for my mom and nephew. They are both very difficult to buy for. Also my calendar seemsto be filling up more quickly than I expected. I do have quite a bit done. I still need to start my baking. :grin:

campncook

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
south Texas
I am getting a tad bit jittery!
I have two BIG parties at my house - December 9 and 15...I have each room ALMOST done!
I am doing last minute crafts and then my DH decided that we needed to make light blocks and lighted wine bottles for a craft show on the 16th...Oh, will I ever get to relax! :huh:
But, it is comforting to know that there are others "in shoes" like mine... :slap:
We WILL enjoy the holidays! :grin:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Yes!! I am no where near where I wanted to be by this time. I have done very little shopping due to two HUGE unexpected expenses in November. I'm frustrated with not being able to get done what I'd wanted to this week regarding decorating the house due to a health issue. I hope to get my kitchen and the living room/family room (one room)done today except for the tree. We are having a fresh tree this year, so we'll get that next weekend. I have had to post pone my tea party for my Sunday school class, and so that's now next Sunday instead of this Sunday. But, I've decided to pare that down considerably-last year I had 15 girls in my class, this year only about 5 regulars-so that's a little less food, favors and gifts to worry about. I'll also purchase a lot of the food instead of making it-cookies and such. So that's one thing that I won't have to worry too much about. The December family breakfast is the 15th, then we have Christmas Eve dinner at our house....not sure who all will be here for that...could be the 5 of us, or 6 or so more. :skate:

I think the bottom line is that a lot of this stuff that I want to get done is ALL ME! I mean by that that no one will know if 90% of it doesn't get done! As long as there is something to eat and a few gifts under the tree...well, that's the biggest thing!! I have a list of things I want our family to do this year, which I"m posting on my blog. I have decided those things will take priority over manic cleaning and shopping and cooking. (((Stepping down off of my soapbox now, after preaching to mostly myself!))) LOL! Whatever is not done by December 22 won't be done! I only say that late because most of my gifts will be homemade candy, cookies and other food, so I'l wait until the last minute on most of those! Whew-I feel better!!
:bigsnow:

I too feel the nerves coming along. Due to unforeseen lack of finances (no child support since September) and my boys birthdays this time of year also I am really stressing out. Plus with my medical issues it just seems like a rotation of unwelcomed surprises.

I have decided on food being my primary adult gifts....cookies, frozen dishes for dinners, fudges, etc....
My kids will get sooo many things from other relatives that my main purchases will be the "Santa" gift and the Mommy gift. Plus their birthdays are within 2 weeks of Christmas so they really won't miss out on gifts at all. I have shopped throughout the year also so I just can't buy alot of NEW toys/gifts and such...

I believe ALL will be FINE without the excess!!!!

Holiday mama

MHH Member
Nov 14, 2007
:grin: I have been very "jittery". My husband has been putting outdoor lights and Christmas scapes up for weeks now and isn't done yet. Unfortunately because he isn't "done", we drive down the street and all of our neighbors have some lights on their houses or inflatables and it looks beautiful and festive. Our house and property are in the process of being absolutely amazing but currently aren't even turned on because as I said before- it isn't "done" yet. I really wanted to tell him that he shouldn't beat himsel up over it. Pare down the lighting and decorating plans and enjoy the season... which got me thinking that I should do the exact same thing. I always think that I have to have 25 different kinds of cookies and candies made, I have to have the house spotless and every corner decorated inside the house. The tree should be buried with wrapped gifts etc. etc. etc.
I am now trying to take my own advice and pare down my holiday plans. Sam's Club has some perfectly delectable and beautiful cookies in a nice tin and I still plan on making a few of our very favorite varieties. I have taken a couple of our rubbermaid storage bins of decorations to work and everyone helped put them up there and I bought a new pre-lit memory wire Christmas tree that literally took 5 minutes to put together and it is just lovely with lights, ice crystals, a few pine cones and a few red berries already on it! My kids said it didn't even need decorations at all.
Last night instead of frantically trying to put up more decorations and trying to get another batch of cookies made like I would have normally been doing, we all sat down as a family and watched the Shrek Christmas show,which was very cute and it also re-inforced my decision to focus more on my family and less on appearances.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
christmascreations~ i'm anxiously awaiting child support as well. I also haven't been paid since September. I'm hoping to get it very soon so I can buy the kids some warmer clothes for our trip to Michigan.

MrsSoup said:
christmascreations~ i'm anxiously awaiting child support as well. I also haven't been paid since September. I'm hoping to get it very soon so I can buy the kids some warmer clothes for our trip to Michigan.

Good luck to you too. Before that payment in September I han't received one since June and before that April etc... His arrears have climbed to over $25,000!!! I told him the kids are not traveling to see him for Christmas until he pays off his arrears. ugghhh!!!!

Anyway I might start looking for a different job come January and hope to not have to take him to court again but I can't keep living like this!!!

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
My jitters is the house- we really don't have anyone come over we do the traveling- BUT our house is so cluttered- we still have Halloween decorations in tubs in different rooms my husband says he is going to put up, kitchen is bulging- the basemant don't dare go down there and the worst is the one and only bathroom- he started gutting it Labor Day weekend and still don't have shower up can only take baths- :( and it is eye sore. Hard part is I work 10 hour days with 45 min commute and I work a parttime overnight job on weekends so not home much. This Saturday we are going to work on things espcially since Elf is going to start visiting. Good news is shopping is almost done. :grin:

Sorry I am whining I know it will be fine- just needed to vent- I am so sorry for those who are behind receiving child support that makes a cluttered home seem trivial. It is so sad that the kids suffer. I wish you all get the money you are owed and that you are able to make a memorable and cherised Holiday for the kiddos.

Time for me to do attitude adjustment ;)

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm feeling very stressed and overwhelmed. I feel very behind with my shopping because I didn't get to do my big black Friday shopping trip this year due to travel plans. I've been very busy at work and with other things and so my decorating isn't done. The house is cluttered and my clean laundry is unfolded. But I haven't been sleeping and I have a cold so in the evenings I just don't have the energy to do it. DH did get all the lights done and I've done some things on the front porch, so at least the outside of the house looks festive. However, I feel like everything else is up to me. Between being tired and that, I've been feeling resentful and I really don't want to feel that way this time of year! I need to do something to adjust my attitude! I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend and maybe that will help!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I know how you feel! It seems I go one step forward and 2 steps back! If I were you I'd plunk on the couch with some hot chocolate and a good Christmas movie. Take your clothes with you and fold while you watch. Then when you feel like it go put them away. Baby steps. Maybe when you start getting into the movie you'll feel like taking out a box of decorations. If you don't-you don't. It makes it so much harder when you don't feel well. Take care of you!

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I was and I'm sure I will be again. We had finanical issues too. I went to work to help us dig out of the hole we are in and in hopes of Christmas shopping. The day after my first paycheck dh took a corner wide and hit a hole and something. It put a hole in the oil pan and of course it being a VW it cost my whole paycheck plus $85 dollars to repair it. I was in tears I saw Christmas gifts suddenly disappear. Dh felt awful. We both get paid the Thur. & Fri. after Christmas, so we talked to the kids ds 12, dd 10, & dd 8 and told them the gifts from mom & dad would be given the weekend after Christmas. They will still get gifts from family and Santa on Christmas. We are able to do some Santa items which helps keep me from tears and the kids happy knowing they will have full stocking.
I'm not worrying about the rest of the family right now they are all older and understand. Plus we may not even make it down there on Christmas so their gifts can wait. That is how I'm dealing with everything right now.

Lou

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
My reason for being 'jittery' pales in comparison to many of you enduring financial trials. I pray that it is all resolved soon and you all have a wonderful Christmas!

I'm jittery because...

A couple of years ago when discussing the holidays (what works and what doesn't) with DH, he shared with me that he felt left out of buying for our sons. For him, shopping during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season put him in the Christmas spirit. Well, as most of you do, I plan early and get it all done well BEFORE the hustle and bustle begin. So, we compromised. I would continue to shop early for the family & friends. I would also shop early for the stocking stuffers. But, we would wait until he was ready to do the big shopping for the boys.

It's only been a couple of years (I think this is our 3rd Christmas doing it his way) and I'm still stressed over the idea of it all but I'm sticking with our plan. It has worked out well for us and he soooo enjoys it! Of course, once we get started I enjoy it too. It is fun to be out in the hustle a bustle. We pace ourselves, go out for dinner, enjoy the pretty lights/displays, etc. The stores are having great sales. We are fortunate that we are pretty much past the stage of the boys 'needing' the latest and greatest toy. He has fantastic ideas for the boys--much better than mine, usually.

But, I still feel jittery! Maybe someday it will all go away.... :santalol:

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
I've definitely got that jittery feeling. Normally, I would be pretty much finished shopping now, maybe just having to buy a few small things. This year, I feel so unprepared. I still have quite a few names on my list. Unfortunately, because of financial reasons, I didn't get to start my shopping as early as I would have liked to. I'm hoping to get a chance to run into the mall while I'm in town tomorrow. If I could get the gifts on layaway at least I would feel like I'm almost there.

We have so many things happening in December, but most of them won't mean us having to do any major preparing or any major money. I'm going to decorate next week. We're taking the kids to the movies on Saturday. They've been saving their recyclables for months for this. We're just going to have a nice relaxing day with the kids.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one with shopping left to do. And, it may come down to last minute-we get paid on the 21st, and that check looks to be the only one that I can do big stuff out of. So, if it's last minute, it's last minute. I kind of like the hustle and bustle, too. I usually try to keep a few stocking stuffers to pick up at the last minute anyway...it's all good. My house is warm and cheery, we have food (although the kids complain that we don't because I've cut back on their snacks!), we have clothes to wear and most importantly, my kids and DH and I are healthy, as is the rest of my family. It's truly not a bad deal!! Thanks to everyone for helping me put it in perspective!! Ya'll are really good friends!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I sure can understand the financial issues. That is another reason I am feeling stressed. Finances are tight here also. But doing the best I can. I have an apartment, good health, and food. I have alot to be grateful for. I to am waiting til the 21st that is my next available payday. First check in Dec goes to rent. :grin:
A big plus :haha: We are having snow. :bigsnow: So it is is beginning to fell more like Christmas.

itsanewme

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
watching Off Kilter
all ive done so far is shop (and pay off the nov visa!)
still need to wrap, clean, cards, decorate, tree, etc

hoping to get something done this wknd - i work fulltime m-f and go to the gym after work so nothing gets done during the week