ISO: Polar Express items for a wreath

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Every year I decorate a faux evergreen wreat with a different theme and place it on my front door. This year I have decided to do a Polar Express theme. So far, I have some jingle bells (bought on clearance last year at Dollar Tree), some snowflake garland and a big silver bow. I also have some laminated tickets from the Polar Express ride we went on last year that I will hot glue to florist picks. I am also going to fill some tiny mugs (found them at Michaels) with cocoa colored clay to resemble hot chocolate (perhaps with a clay marshmallow too). I am in search of a black train engine that looks like the one in the movie. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you have any other ideas for what might go on my wreath, feel free to share! Thanks

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MHH Member
Aug 16, 2008
Tennessee
mymerrychristmas.com
I looked on ebay and they have the train's ,but they are HIGH and probably too big for your wreath .

They also have some little Polar Express figure's ,but they too are rather high $18.00.They are of Santa, 2 children and the hobo.They also have the conductor and some other figure's ,but they too are $18.00

They do have this P.E. bookmark for 99 cent's on ebay .

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Polar-Expre...goryZ279QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its so crazy the price that they have on this stuff and a real shame .

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love that idea! I find it fantastic to have such imagination. Yay for you! :applause:

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Thanks for the compliment, but I really can't take all the credit, last year when I was constructing my candy cane and sugar cookie wreath DS asked, "can we have a polar express one next year" and I thought "brilliant!!!"

also, I agree that the prices for some of the authentic Polar Express merchandise is obscene. I wonder if there is somewhere that I could just get a "generic" black steam engine and wire that to the wreath??? hmmmm.......

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I can't believe what a stupid thing I just did!!! I spent almost an hour (and I was having fun doing it) googling and found a bunch of great links for you and when I went to submit I guess I hadn't logged in and lost it ALL! :thud: now I'm crying.

Here is what I remember:

I'm not sure what macaroni and cheese has to do with this but I thought this is a great deal
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Polar-Express-T ... dZViewItem

http://www.nextag.com/Schylling-Diecast ... rices-html

http://www.nextag.com/Life-Like-Product ... rices-html

These are printables you could maybe laminate and attach to the wreath. Kinda like a scrapbook wreath

http://www.classbrain.com/artstudiomovi ... crafts.pdf

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/fea ... rtykit.pdf

One more suggestion, if you go to the ebay stores for polar express ornaments try the ones that say OR BEST OFFER. I got a nascar ornament that way for less.
Good luck with your wreath I need to go take a valium now :slap:

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
thank you so much!  I did put a bid on one of the ebay items, and bookmarked the other sites in case I don't get the ebay one.  I also printed out some of the houghton-miller things, they are much nicer than the ticket I already had.  keep your fingers crossed for my ebay bid!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
If you have the time and interest, try looking in antique shops and flea markets. Recently I've seen so many train pieces in big boxes. There never seems to be a complete set so they sell them by the piece - and they are affordable for the most part. Good luck!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Kim Loves Snow said:
If you have the time and interest, try looking in antique shops and flea markets. Recently I've seen so many train pieces in big boxes. There never seems to be a complete set so they sell them by the piece - and they are affordable for the most part. Good luck!

Wonderful idea! :applause: With the right paint, and a few details, almost anything becomes new again :)

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I think you could also go to a hobby shop that sells model train stuff and fish around for broken trains?? ORRRRRRRR buy some train track pieces and add them to the wreath--- I think the cheapo tracks are well -- pretty cheap!

I have to say I have a gold polar express ticket that I bought on clearance at a hallmark the year the movie came out. I have it tucked in my holiday stuff waiting for when my kids are a little older to watch the movie.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
ooohhh! I really like the idea of wiring some train tracks to my wreath, I think we might have some old chunky looking train tracks from a lincoln log set that I could spray paint silver.

You know, I think my little wreath idea is slowly morphing into a table top tree. :grin:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Love the idea!! DS 8 is really into trains and likes the polar expres movie so I may have to use this idea and do a wreath for his room....
I'm totally cheap though and will be spray painting a wooden locamotive from hobby lobby black to add to the wreath.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
So happy I inspired someone else! Only, now I can't seem to find the little mugs I was going to use for the hot cocoa. Any body got a lead on a place where I could get them? I originally got them at Michaels, but they don't have them in the doll house stuff anymore, I have access to an AC Moore, but not Hobby Lobby (boo hoo!) oh, BTW, Santa came through (early) and bought me a digital camera for Christmas that he allowed me to open early. I'll post a photo of the finished wreath on my blog. Stay tuned!