It's OFFICIALLY...The Month of the Elf

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's the time we have been waiting for ...August Rudolph Day....The Month of the Elf is starting.

I have scheduled blog posts to post today over at Magic Elves and other places...so I hope the scheduling worked and a bit later today you can read the first Elf blog...

Please feel free to share ideas and links to your own blogs too...

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
This will be year 3 for our elves. Their first year here they did some blogging and sadly did a better job at it than I am right now. Here is their link w/ some pict and antics written about. http://3boyselves.blogspot.com/

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
This is my first year so I'm planning to cheat off of all of you and use some of your fantastic ideas!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'd be interested in how you all do your elf planning. Do you map out each and every day? Do you have a general plan in mind and wing it if things and timing don't work out exactly? How much front end work do you do, meaning do you have all the notes written, the gifts purchased, etc beforehand or do you have a few things and pick up things during the month? Have any of you who still have little ones that believe forgot and left the elves in the same position as the day before? If so, what did you say to your children? Sorry for all the questions - I'm really anxious to start this discussion, can you tell?? :0)

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I'd be interested in how you all do your elf planning. Do you map out each and every day? Do you have a general plan in mind and wing it if things and timing don't work out exactly? How much front end work do you do, meaning do you have all the notes written, the gifts purchased, etc beforehand or do you have a few things and pick up things during the month? Have any of you who still have little ones that believe forgot and left the elves in the same position as the day before? If so, what did you say to your children? Sorry for all the questions - I'm really anxious to start this discussion, can you tell?? :0)

Kim loves snow -- I didn't know about elves until a week before we got ours last year. I went to the website that my mom ordered them from. (I've seen others post links, so I'm going to post it and if I'm naughty from posting it, please dont ban me from here!!) elf-magic.com has a tab called Elfcapades. I read every elfcapade and looked at every picture. Each day I decided what to do that night. We have an elf that the kids play with each day, not like the Elf on a Shelf that you aren't allowed to touch, so mine was never in the same place two days in a row. This year, i'm planning a little more. The elves will bring a movie one night instead of doing something naughty, I've printed out some activity pages and coloring sheets for the kids to look like the elves have printed them on my printer, I think i'm going to let them decorate the trees in the bedrooms like they did last year and maybe bring a few other little treats. I'm also adding the animals they're bringing so it's easier with several elves and animals than with just the one. They tend to get into more mischeif if they have others with them! I thought about having them bring Christmas PJs, an idea I've read from several people. Did you see my posts about every day last year? I raelly didn't buy much at all. I used things we had. Dying the toilets with food coloring. leaving notes, toilet papering DD's room, decorating the trees, fishing in the fish tank with a pencil, paper clip and a piece of string. I didn't have to plan much or buy much. hope this helps a little. Don't make it a chore, just let it be as much fun for you as it is for the kids. I think that's why I loved it so much! I did fun stuff. I've started a blog and want to post pictures, I'll let you know if and when I get it finished.

momiilu

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2008
Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Kim, I have a document with a list of Elfcapades I have pulled together, there are currently 77 things on my list :)
This is my 3rd year of doing it, the first year (2008) was more hit or miss, the elf didnt do stuff every day, but last year I wanted to make them more of our holiday so I just made a list of the dates they would be here and I penciled in activities for most of the days, I checked local calendars and events that I knew were happening and planned themes to go with them. some days I didnt do what I had Planned and winged it, but for the most part it was pretty planned out. I think I had posted my list of Elfcapades last year? but I'm not sure I can repost it again!

~Micki

momiilu

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2008
Minnesota
www.myspace.com
RE:-Kim forgotten elves :(

Last year days 17-22 that were SUPER busy and I forgot to do/knew I wouldnt have time to do the elves :( I told the kids that the elves had Elf Emergencies

Santa called and there was a disturbance at the north pole, he required all elves to report home imediately, Skeeter, Elvin and Trixie were gone for 3 whole days, The kids were sure excited to see them when we went down to visit Great Grams for the weekend

the first day they just stayed in place and then I hid them away for a couple of days ;)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Kim- I try to make a list of adventures and then do them as time allows. Some days the elves do something and others they don't. Also, we keep our elves out all year because Santa makes them magic on the 1st of December so they come to life at night, but the rest of the year they are just stuffed toys.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
So Jessica and others - Your kids don't get upset if they don't do something over night? I'm thinking about starting this for a 3yo, but her mom just had a baby in June and I'm not sure she can pull off the every night thing. I don't want it to be overwhelming for her.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My kids don't seem to mind too much. They ask questions but I tell them that the elves must be worn out from the previous nights mischief. Or they got called away during the night to help Santa.