Jan 17-30 Living Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
The living room probably benefits most from attention in general, and being at the start of the list every time. SO it is not terrible, but it does need attention this time around.

My plan is:

[] Brush ceiling and walls
[] Dust blinds and windowledges
[] Dust bookcases
[] Dust all pictures
[] Hoover to skirtings and under all furniture
[] Clean out DVD shelf behind curtain
[] Polish brass fireplace surround
[] Clear out drinks cabinet and wash glasses
[] Sort magazines in basket, toss old ones
[] File articles I have saved
[] Clear out corner underneath standard lamp
[] Empty box of candles and put into candle drawer - use up some
[] Tidy up bookcases
[] Clean mirror
[] Clean tealight candle holders and oil burner of old oils and wax
[] Clean leather suite - get rid of dust and stains, and feed leather

I think that's it in the Living room. I tend to work on filing all year round, but need to get more things filed or tossed this time around.

This week though, I also have to clear out guest room after weekend guests (change sheets, general tidy up). But otherwise, not in too bad shape.

The only other thing I need to do this week is order vegetable seeds for spring planting.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Vaccum carpet
Vacuum sofa and chairs
Polish furniture
Organize cd cabinet
Organize dvd drawer
Change lamp shades - they are in need of replacing

*If the mood hits me I may shampoo the furniture and spot clean the carpet.

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Thankfully the carpet in the living room was shampooed for Christmas, so that's done! Overall, the room is in pretty good shape, but detail work definitely needs to be done.

[] Vacuum under furniture
[] Vacuum under seat cushions
[] Wash windows
[] Polish wood frame
[] Clean baseboards
[] Shine fireplace doors
[] Dust upper shelves and quilt rack
[] Touch up paint
[] Dust furniture
[] Vacuum floor
[] Reorganize Wii and games

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Since our living room/family room is our main living area, it was pretty well taken care of when we de-decorated for Christmas. Plus, I had guests last week and cleaned for that. So this two weeks will be used to tie up holiday odds and ends that have been stuffed all over the house, particularly in our bedroom and the laundry room.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Thanks for getting this started!!! :)

[ ] Clean ceiling fan
[ ] Wash window
[ ] Dust EVERYTHING
[ ] Vacuum under furniture
[ ] Organize DVDs (once AGAIN)
[ ] Wash down walls (in some places)
[ ] Vacuum under cushions
[ ] Clean leather furniture
[ ] Clean out ONE dresser (3 drawers)
[ ] Clean out curio cabinet
[ ] Hang heart quilt on wall
[ ] Put out Valentine's Day decor

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My living room is in pretty good shape too (unless DH decides to paint over the orange which he does not like... and neither do I).

So I'm spending time decluttering where needed (closets, pictures).... things I procrastinate over.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
And the books put back -- and all the little junky bits and pieces dealt with!This is really PRIME TIME for cleaning and organizing! When beautiful weather hits in spring -- everybody wants to be outside! Ditto for summer! And then..... it is the beginning of September -- and things move SO QUICKLY to Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas! Yes -- there are the cleaning plans -- but that time of year is busy with lots of things, in addition to cleaning! So this time of year is really important for us!!!!

The living room is in generally good shape. HOWEVER -- there are lots and lots of built in bookshelves. And "little things" tend to be put on the bookshelves... "just for now". So -- everything needs to be taken off. The bookshelves need to be cleaned thoroughly. The books cleaned and rearranged in a way that makes more sense!

Of course -- it CAN be don one shelf at a time. The books probably won't get rearranged if I do it that way. But it will be less disruptive than filling the living room with piles of books!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Re: Livingroom

Well, here is my little 'ole list!

[] Clean ceiling fan
[] Dust
[] Wash window
[] Clean windows
[] Vacuum under sectional couch
[] Vacuum sofa and loveseat and futon
[] Vacuum carpet and under carpet sectional
[] Organize entertainment center (go thru tapes and CD's, DVD's, mark on list, give away if not needed)
[] Go through book shelves (look at all titles - give away if needed)
[] Look at all knick-nacks (give away if not needed)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm trying to follow along with this...luckilly I spent all last weekend patching, priming, painting, and refurnishing my living room....all I've got left to do is wash the floors!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I'm in! Here's the start of my list:

[X] Empty/sort/purge drawers
[] Shred
[] Organize scrapbook stuff in cabinet
[] Organize coat closet
[X] Dust blinds
[] Wash windows
[] Clean mirror
[X] Dust ceiling fan
[X] Dust baseboards

Last edited:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well yesterday I managed to get everything on my list done, except for the shampooing part and reorganzing the cd cabinet. I don't really have baseboards but I did dust and wipe the lower parts of the walls. I tried cleaning the vertical blinds at the patio door/windows but they are beyond cleaning. I will see if the rental office will replace them. (make note)

I also would like to paint my walls but I think I will do that in the spring or call the rental office. (Make note)

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
Here is my checklist for the living room:

[ ] Paint
[ ] Clean carpet
[ ] Wash windows/screens
[ ] Dust
[ ] Vacuum sofas
[ ] De-clutter
[ ] Clean baseboards
[ ] Clean wood floors
[ ] Look into purchasing new throw pillows and stools for the breakfast bar

Princess_Christmas

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Since I still live at home, and only need to keep my bedroom, craft room, bathroom clean I am going to deem them as the following:

Bedroom is also
-living room
-t.v room

craft room is also
-office
-library
-kitchen

Bathroom is also
-laundry room

So this week the focus will be in my bedroom, and here is the list for that
-dresser - clean it off
-nightstands - clean them off and organize the drawers
-closet - clean it out - DONE
-under the bed - get everything out from under there - DONE
-bedding - change it
-mirror - wash it
-tall dresser - clean it off and organize the drawers - DONE
-shelf around room - clean it off, dust it, set village back up (the village is my only winter decor in there) - DONE
-Make pillow shams to match the quilt

Last edited:

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Well I finally got the upstairs done! Now this next two weeks I will be devoting to my office and my paperwork (tax prep). Was able to start today after spending two days on the phone with the phone company about my land line being full of static, because of that I couldn't connect to the internet! So started cleaning my desk today, will continue on with my office projects. The kids rooms and tv room upstairs looks fabulous, now just to keep it up.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
How did we get to Friday already??????

This is why it is SO GOOD to have two weeks per room! It is SO EASY for "real life" to swoop in....... and to eat up all our time and energy! When real life happens like that.... I have to go back to the beginning to figure out which room we are on!!!!!

OK. Back to the beginning. We are in the living room. And my biggest project is to clean off each one of the bookshelves -- and get rid of all the little junky things tha are stuck on there. Golf tees. (It IS January and the ground is frozen!) Deposit slips. Pennies. And so on and on and on!

IF there is time.... I will move to emptying the drawers in the buffets.

On the bright side..... things look pretty good!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yeah, bummer, it's Friday and I haven't touched the livingroom! LOL

Oh well!

Two weeks is good for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Well..... every little bit counts! Isn't that what we say? So - I've cleaned off two shelves. (Now I have a basket full of stuff to deal with.)

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I haven't done a thing yet either, it was a crazy week planning Ken's trip back East. Now that I have the house to myself for awhile, I'm hoping to accomplish a lot this weekend!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
HHhmmmmmm Christmaslvr...... "hoping to accomplish a lot this weekend." That sounds like such a worthy goal! I wonder if I have enough strength left to hope for that! It's dubious!

I AM hoping to do some Rudy Day celebrating this weekend.

Now..... about hoping to accomplish a lot this weekend...... I'll think about that in the morning.