Jan.23--National PIE DAY!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I opened the newspaper this morning, and our food editor has a column announcing that Jan 23, TODAY, is National Pie Day! Yum! She suggests celebrating it by eating a piece of pie or trying your hand at baking a pie for you and your family.
I think something as important as National Pie Day can be celebrated by our friends here from other nations too, don't you? :party:

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
OH NO I made pie yesterday!!! If i only would have known. :slap:

It was very yummy though.

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
I think they are actually referring to pi as in pi = 3.14! But I'll take pie anyday.....pecan pie with some whipped cream...YUMMO!

Edited: I went back and checked and today is indeed Pie Day as opposed to March 14th which is Pi day. Why not celebrate both with a slice?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wow talk about lucky we're having chicken pot pie for supper!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Nope, SmilingSandra -- but you're right -- there's also a mathematical Pi Day! We celebrated it last year, though I don't remember when it actually is. This one is declared by the American Pie Council, according to my newspaper. Both days are a good day to serve pie, though!

Edited to say that I just saw SmilingSandra's edit --! Yes, pi day is March 14th: 3-14. My family would like to see pie/pi day at least once a week, as long as they get pie!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have an apple pie in the freezer. I think I will thaw it out and celebrate this evening!!

"heartstrings: Melanie

I have to head out to the store as soon as my son gets done with his homework so a pie might have to be figured in with some cool whip of course. If I had known sooner I could have been prepared more...lol on the Calendar for next year it goes!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Pecan, like the one I made today.

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
So i had some left over pie crust dough in the freezer from the pie i made yesterday and some frozen strawberries from this past summer that I had not used yet. Soooooooo. I thought I would 'WHIP UP' a pie. WHAT A DISASTER! NEVER make a pie without a recipe. Good thing I baked it with a cookie sheet underneath. My oven would have been a MESS. Basically, I did not use enough flour to thicken the filling and frozen strawberries give off ALOT of liquid. So the top of the crust was done, but the bottom was not at all cooked fully and soggy from all the liquid from the berries. Needles to say, we had to use bowls to serve the pie in, it was like soup. Even after I let it sit for 30 minutes to cool off and set. Here's to National Pie Day, next year I'll use a recipe for the filling.

Thought you would all have a good laugh at this story. Hey at least I tried.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
Pie day/Pi day...any excuse for pie is good by me! Pecan pie in the fridge...here I go :pink:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
We stopped by McDonalds on the way home and got cherry pie in honor of it and yes 3.14 we will do it again:)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the pie soup story!

Since it was National Pie Day yesterday, I declare today National Leftover Pie Day. I had pie for breakfast!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
LOL! I'll mark today Leftover Pie Day on my calendar!!

I wonder what leftover pie soup is like? :santalol:

My favorite pie. . . pecan, chocolate, coconut cream, pumpkin!

Oh, and pie crust cookies! Not a pie, though a wonderful bonus! You take your scraps of pie dough, roll them out, sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon, cut them apart and bake until done! Ahhh, the memories of home. . . .

A grandma used to cut pie crust dough in the shape of little men, bake, and then frost with fudge. She called these 'brownies'!

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
I should have made pie cookies instead of my pie soup.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Holiday Joy said:
LOL! I'll mark today Leftover Pie Day on my calendar!!

I wonder what leftover pie soup is like? :santalol:

My favorite pie. . . pecan, chocolate, coconut cream, pumpkin!

Oh, and pie crust cookies! Not a pie, though a wonderful bonus! You take your scraps of pie dough, roll them out, sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon, cut them apart and bake until done! Ahhh, the memories of home. . . .

A grandma used to cut pie crust dough in the shape of little men, bake, and then frost with fudge. She called these 'brownies'!

These sound good and simple. Going to have to buy a pie crust just to try them. Thanks

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer