January 2011 Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
Blue Christmas- Rudy day is short for Rudolph Day.

Rudolph Day is celebrated on the 25th of every month.

The purpose is to do an activity to get us ready for the upcoming Christmas. KimLovesSnow has set a focus for us- Our Notebooks...

BUT- It's also a day for us Christmas lovers to celebrate Christmas by...

Annie

Oh, Thank you greatly for the info! What a nifty idea is Rudy Day!
I like the thought of organizing a notebook for holiday stuff, too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
BlueChristmas, there is always a monthly thread so you can tell us how you are going to celebrated Rudy day, and you might get some ideas from what we are doing.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
This weekend I cleaned out a plastic tote and will use it to put any crafts we need to work on during Rudy Days: so far has Valentines/letters for name plaques/Chrsitmas Eye Spy Jar items. This week I am going to put together a basic craft kit for it (crayons/markers/paint/scissors/etc) along with a copy of gift crafts that stays in it! The goal is that when I buy stuff for gift crafts they go here and on Rudy Day we bring out the tote and we are ready to begin!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Those of you interested in the book about the Christmas Jar, look on Amazon.com. There is a follow up book to it that I have not read yet. I read it aloud to the boys during the spring of last year and they were completely into it. It was a fun project. A lot of our money is 'found' money...the boys add coins that they have found on the street, DH found a $20 bill on the ground in a parking lot, I found $16 in a coat pocket, etc. It added up to a lot of money though.

Rudy day is a week from today. I think we'll do our kid participation part over the weekend and then I'll do something for myself on the 25th. I want to write out the debrief notes and I want to go through some Christmas magazines and cut out things I want to keep and recycle the rest.

Twinkle - love the tote idea. What is the spy jar?

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Working on the debriefing is a good idea Kim. I think I will do mine that day as well. I have been trying all month to answer the questions but keep getting side tracked with something else. I'm also going to make a book cover for my notebook. I have some red felt left over from an advent calendar I made. Problem is I'm stuck on how or what to add to dress is up. If anyone has any suggestions please share.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't think I'll be able to truly get involved on 25th, however I am so determined that this year will be the first year I observe it in January, therefore this weekend will involve some Rudolph day activities.

For me....Clearing out my Rudolph folder and printing out this years bits and pieces.

I will also try and squeeze in a wee bit of Christmas pleasure ;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kim, I am doing a spy jar this year for my 18 year old, and a few younger kids.

You get an old glass or plastic jar, various little items such as buttons, coins, shells, safety pins, beads etc.
You put the charms in the jar with enough rice to fill the jar to about 1 inch from the top. Put on the lid. As the kids turn the jar they "spy" the little charms inside.
Google spy jars for some ideas.

I know that DD will love this.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Think i might have to do Rudy weekend on the 29th... DH will be gone with DS to a hockey tournament for the whole weekend! I want to cut my patterns for my advent tree & candy canes. :)

and I need to start my gift closet too

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I think I'll work on my gift ideas and my notebook. (I'll also be getting ready to go to Disney World on the 29th!) I just cut the little designs off of some Christmas address labels that came in the mail, and put one on the 25th of each month on my calendar. I hope they'll get my attention this year!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I have some red felt left over from an advent calendar I made. Problem is I'm stuck on how or what to add to dress is up. If anyone has any suggestions please share.

Aggy what if you took a large needle and some white or silver yarn and sewed some simple snowflakes on to the red felt?

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
You get an old glass or plastic jar, various little items such as buttons, coins, shells, safety pins, beads etc.

So is it a game to see who can find the most items or do they get to keep the items? I'm intrigued.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kim. the items stay in the jar. You can have a list of what goes in the jar and play 'Eye Spy' and the kids roll around the jar until they find the item.. Or the can use it like a kalidoscope (sp) and just turn it and see the treasures in the jar.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When I saw the I Spy Jar on another thread I wondered what it was. Neat ideal.

Also like the ideal of the Christmas picture from labels on the 25th. I use to use little Christmas stickers but out of them so will use ideal.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
They always make I spy projects over here. They make them from recycled water bottles, ziplocks, jars...anthing I think they find at the time.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I like the idea of an eye spy jar. I think I'll have to try that this year!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I am so ready to organize my notebook on Rudy Day. Monday, we did not have school so I took all my Christmas cards and cut out the pictures and then I take construction paper and cut it to the size of a bookmark and put the picture on it and then laminate it. Then I punch a hole in it and tie ribbon on it. I give these out to my students at Christmas time. If I have large classes, I sometimes have to wait 2 years to have enough. The students really enjoy them.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That's really cool doodlebug. I used some of mine as package decorations and name tags this year. My teen daughter really enjoyed using them.